Gearing up for MWL after the holidays/first of the yar~any

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gearing up for MWL after the holidays/first of the yar~any

Postby Veggiewannabe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:14 am

sage advice from you pro-MWL folks? (I have read the Dr. McD's MWL book)

Any help appreciated :cool:
Veggiewannabe

Congratulations!

Postby limberone » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 am

Congratulations on moving toward a healthy lifestyle!

My husband suggested that we do MWL between Thanksgiving and Christmas -- Nov. 24 through Dec. 24. The first day was the most difficult. We were not home, and we were in the city, surrounded by wonderful restaurants all within walking distance.

We wrapped sweet potatoes in foil, baked them at 425 for 45 minutes, and put them into an insulated carrier. In another carrier, we put cold bottles of water, plastic knives and forks, a plastic container of pineapple rings, one lime, and one utility knife. We also had lots of napkins. This was messy. Three hours later (after the sweet potatoes came out of the oven), we were ready to eat. The sweet potatoes were almost too hot to hold! Unwrapped each potato, squeezed the juice of 1/2 lime on each one, and the sweet potato with the pineapple one the side was absolutely devine!

For breakfast that day, I made Kashi seven whole grain hot "cereal." I put cereal in quotes because that is one of the many ways to use Kashi. We put bananas and a spot of soy milk, and I loved it. My husband thought it was very chewy and that he could acquire a taste for it.

For dinner, I made the vegetable barley soup from the MWL book. I did not have any kale, so I used two cups frozen okra instead. We loved it. And my husband hates okra, but he likes it in soups/stews.

He said we should do MWL during this block of 31 days specifically because otherwise, there is a way to justify a feast every single day at this time of year! Even the local grocery store's ad said in bold letters above all the brown pictures of animal flesh and everything baked, "The season for Feasting!" We feasted for Thanksgiving for one day, and we will have another one on Christmas Day. I am feeling better already, and it is only day 4. Both of us are learning very quickly what are the best ways to be satisfied and still be MWL-legal. I am elated that I'm going to weigh less when the new year gets here than I do today.

There are tons of good ideas here -- check out all the other posts on the MWL board as time allows. I've learned so much just reading these posts, and the number one suggestion I've learned is to simply always be prepared. Your health is worth the effort involved.
limberone

I agree, why wait?

Postby Malva » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:50 pm

MWL on those days that you are not forced into feasting.
It will be a great buffer to prevent that notorious, holiday 5-pound-gain.

On Thanksgiving I ate like I do every other day, except I made an apple dessert (no sugar or wheat) with hazelnuts on top. Otherwise, I ate MWL and was totally satisfied!

I located a non-fat gingerbread on the web (cookies, too), so there's really no excuse to go "over-board" and over-eat when there are so many great alternatives.

And the sooner you learn to eat healthy during the holidays, the sooner you'll be able to alter your perception as to what the holidays are all about.

Feast Days are perfectly normal while McDougalling, but they should always be special occassions, not just when you are "in the mood." :)

Eating for the Holiday Season (Thanksgiving through Super Bowl -- ever notice how the American holidays are centered around football???) is just a way for food marketers to make a buck at your expense. They know how to push your buttons to make you come in and chow down!

So glad you are a "veggiewannabe"!
So glad you'll be joining us crazies here doing the MWL tango!
(a love dance with your body)
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby baron » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi and welcome!
I agree with limberone about being prepared. What is essential for me is to make sure I always have lots of MWL food available and remove (or if it is not possible to totally remove it, keep non MWL items out of site) all temptations.

Maybe you could start with some preliminary changes before Jan. 1.

There's lots of great information on this website. Coming here has helped me very much! I wish you the best!
[/url]
baron

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program