Welcome to the MWL Program Forum

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Welcome to the MWL Program Forum

Postby John McDougall » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:36 am

The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss was developed over 20 years ago to help people lose excess body fat more efficiently. With this modification there is still no limit on quantities consumed. However, flour products (breads, bagels, pastas, etc.), sugars, and high-fat plant foods (nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, etc.) are eliminated. Small, frequent meals and simplicity in meal design are encouraged. Exercise is important.

Meal plans, as always, are based on familiar unrefined starches (rice, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, winter squashes, etc.) Green and yellow vegetables (traditional diet foods) are emphasized, and these may make up a third to a half of the volume consumed at a meal—these lower calorie foods are best consumed at the beginning of the meal.

You can learn much more about this simpler kind of eating by going to the McDougall Home Page (www.drmcdougall.com) and reading under "Hot Topics" about obesity.
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:42 am

Thank you for the new category! :)
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Wow!

Postby Malva » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:13 pm

That was fast!
Thanks, Dr. McDougall!
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

New Tomorrow

Postby JillCo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:50 am

Hello,
I would like to meet people who already McDougall, and have had success. I have had a couple of McDougall books for at least 5 years. I believe it is the best way to eat. I have started the program several times, and never stuck to it for more than a few days. The problems arose when I would go out to eat or to someone's house for dinner. Then I would just give up. This time I really want to succeed. I am more concerned about health than looking thin, but I am obese at 35 and need to lose weight. I have been a vegetarian for about 10 years, but even though I eat a lot of veg and beans, I also fit in a lot of meatless junk and cheese. I play a lot of tennis, but eat enough to still be fat. I would like to lose weight in order to be healthy. Everytime I hear someone talk about a relative with a disease, I think that it is time for me to take the McDougall program seriously. I feel my willpower is very weak though. Anyhow, this time I want to do it right, and hopefully this website can help.
I was looking at Mary's potato short-term diet, and thought I could try that. I'm going to the grocery store to buy some potatoes and veg, and I think I'll start there. I know that occasionally I will eat out. Are there some chain that have McDougall approved items? I would love to see a list.
Thanks. I hope to hear from someone. This is an eating plan that not too many of my loved ones appreciate, so I have no one to share it with.
JillCo

Maybe I should try the regular program first?

Postby JillCo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:06 am

OK, I just went to some other message boards and had a read. Some people are saying that new people should probably start out with the regular program and see if they lose weight on that. If not, then they should move over to the MWL or Mary's diet. I think I will try it that way for now.
JillCo

Re: New Tomorrow

Postby Malva » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:42 am

If you find that you are not ready for Maximum Weight Loss, then try the Regular program first.
I find that many people have better success with MWL when they are committed to, and have adapted to the McDougall (vegan) program.
Many obese people find that they lose a lot of weight on the regular program and then plateau. It's at that point that they can start being stricter and going to the MWL program.

The Mary's Mini is meant to be used for a short period because it is very restrictive and not something that most people could continue for very long and be satisfied. Mary's Mini is meant to be boring. :)

The idea with McDougalling is that you are learning a lifestyle that you will be living for the rest of your life. I would suggest that you get McDougall's DVDs about the program. In them the Dr. gives you the science/medicine behind the program but also graphically shows you how you can go out to dinner and not "blow it." Restaurants like "The Sizzler" (where they have salad bars and plain baked potatoes) are suggested. When I'm on the road I find that salads are just about all I end up eating at a "fancy" restaruant. My husband will go to Burger King and get a veggie burger, or to Taco del Mar and get a vegan burrito. Round Table pizza (and other pizza places) will make you a cheeseless pizza with lots of veggies. (I would suggest that you not make that a regular part of your diet because of the white bread crust.)

Experiment with new fruits and veggies. Try some you've never had before. Get comfortable with doing most of your shopping in the produce section, and don't even go near the bagged, boxed and overly-processed foods section (avoid the potato chip aisle!).

Get used to friends and family saying that you are weird for eating "vegitan" (or vegan). When you start losing weight, they will slow down the banter, but when you are getting healthier while they are getting sicker they will start coming to you for help. :)
Last edited by Malva on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Re: New Tomorrow

Postby serenity » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:44 pm

JillCo wrote:I have started the program several times, and never stuck to it for more than a few days. The problems arose when I would go out to eat or to someone's house for dinner. Then I would just give up.

Hi JillCo,
This is a thinking pattern that many of us have fallen into. But after a while of practicing, the social issues - dinner with family, restaurant meals, etc. become quite manageable and it becomes much easier to make McDougall friendly choices. But it does take some practice, almost like learning a new language.

So, in the meanwhile, please remember that this is a Health Supporting program. It isn't necessary to be "perfect" in order to gain the health benefits of eating this way. Eating the majority of your meals McDougall can be highly beneficial even if you don't adhere to it perfectly in social situations, especially as you are learning. Don't give up. Just make the next meal a McDougall one!

Best wishes, and welcome to the board.
serenity

Thanks for the advice.

Postby JillCo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I am excited to get started. I thought I could have the first day menu listed in the 12 day program book for the next few days, so I went shopping for the ingredients. We'll see what happens. I like to know that I don't have to be perfect to get the health benefits of this eating style.
JillCo

Hi JillCo.

Postby noodle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:52 pm

I agree with all the comments you've been getting - they're great. Like Malva said, the DVD's are really helpful. I've watched them several times and enjoy the éating out one alot.

As far as eating at someone else's home - we never want to hurt our hostesses feelings, but we also don't want to eat alot of unhealthy stuff. So we have found if we take generous portions of salads, vegetables, etc. and then a small (and I do mean small) portion of the meat dish, everyone is happy. I'll take a bite or two of the meat to be polite, and scarf down all the good stuff! :D
noodle

Hi JillCo ...

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:13 pm

Welcome to the board.

I started out with the 12-day program then found myself, doing the MWL
more and more. Everyone has diffent needs, as long as it is McDougall either plan will work. :)
All the books and DVD's are very helpful. I watch them just to keep me in check, of course coming here also does that too :-D
And don't forget we are here for you too :D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

One other thing for JillCo...

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:17 pm

You should go to the the McDougall main page (drmcdougall.com) at the top of the board, then click on Star McDougaller's it's very inspirational :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Re: Hi JillCo ...

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Sunny wrote:Welcome to the board.

I started out with the 12-day program then found myself, doing the MWL
more and more. Everyone has diffent needs, as long as it is McDougall either plan will work. :)
All the books and DVD's are very helpful. I watch them just to keep me in check, of course coming here also does that too :-D
And don't forget we are here for you too :D

Sunny--I LOVE your avatar. I am a big John Lennon & Beatles fan. :)
Gramma Jackie

Thanx~~~

Postby Sunny » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:59 am

I am too... :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program