My Salad Strategy

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Salad Strategy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 am

I've had problems sticking with MWL, so here is my new strategy.

Today I'm making up a big shredded salad and some more of Bryanna's salad dressing. I'll vary the ingredients in the salad so I don't get bored. This way, I'll always have salad ready to eat and not feel like I have to resort to a starchy food for a snack.

I could have some carrots and other things ready to go too, but for some reason if I can sit down with a dish of something to eat, I feel more like I'm eating something than if I nibble on carrots and celery.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Della Street » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:45 pm

Mrs Doodlepunk:

Which one of Bryanna's salad dressing recipes are you using?
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:47 pm

I'm using the Cheezy one:

2/3 c silken tofu
1/3 cup water
3 T lemon juice
2 T tahini
1 T cider vinegar (I used garlic rice wine vinegar)
1 tsp salt
1 large garlic clove
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp soy sauce (I used Bragg's)

combine in a blender, makes 1 1/2 cups, thin with water if it's too thick.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

sticking with MWL

Postby Malva » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 pm

For not sticking, you seem to be losing weight very well.

I had to stick like glue with the program (with no alterations) in order to lose any weight. My lifestyle (or metabolism) just didn't burn the calories that tofu and tahini contain.

I don't miss those foods. I've become so accustomed to lighter foods that the heavy stuff gags me now. I think it was Groundhogg that once said that MWL foods were too watery (liquidy) for her. Which made me laugh.
:-D

I can see some people getting "bored" or "water-logged" with MWL foods, but they are so yummy, tasty and satisfying for me. Besides, I need those watery kinds of foods to keep my "plumbing" in good condition.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Re: sticking with MWL

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:30 am

[quote="Malva"]For not sticking, you seem to be losing weight very well.

Yikes, that ticker is way off! I was messing around with it last night and thought I changed it back. I have not lost 20 pounds in one day, LOL! I took it off, for some reason any change I make in my sig line on the profile goes onto all old posts, too.

I think I have to stick like glue with MWL, too. Any slight indiscretion makes me not lost for like a whole week. I'll have to see how I do with this salad dressing, since it has a slight bit of tahini in it. I made another batch last night and tried it first with no tahini but it just isn't the same.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Mirrim » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:44 pm

That salad dressing sounds good, I'll try it this weekend. Does anyone know of some other recipes? I'm getting tired of vinegar and spices type ones and that's dangerous ;-p Don't want to slip back to bleu cheese.

Thanks
Mirrim

Reply to Mirrim

Postby Malva » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Check out the Food & Recipes forum
And post your question there for a quicker reply.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

instead of salad dressing....

Postby SunnyMcDGal » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:20 pm

I just cut up an Heirloom tomato and chop some fresh basil or fresh mint on top of the salad and add a diced orange with all the juices and stir and eat. Sometimes I make a batch of hummus with no oil only lemon juice and add some thinned hummus. it is not necessary to add tofu-tahini dressing to have a tasty salad.

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:46 pm

Well, the tofu tahini dressing isn't necessary, but it sure is nice after 4 years of salads with vinegar on them! I had started to dread eating a salad! The creaminess of this dressing is just what I needed right now and I'm able to enjoy them again.

I wish I could get heirloom tomatoes right now. We had lovely ones this summer, I wasn't ready for summer to be over when it ended.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

BTW

Postby Malva » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:30 pm

Tahini and tofu are not MWL legal. :)

It's OK for the Regular program.
Malva

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:02 am

I know tofu and tahini are not legal on MWL, but.... :oops: I'm using it like my teaspoon of sugar I could have on my oatmeal. If I use the salad dressing, I can eat a great big bowl of salad.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Grateful » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:42 am

"If I use the salad dressing, I can eat a great big bowl of salad."

Same goes for me. I eat a large salad almost everyday and enjoy it. Wouldn't be doing so without a good dressing. So, I just cut my portion of dressing to half of what it used to be.[/b]
Grateful

Citrus salad dressing

Postby alyza » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:43 am

How about blending a bit of orange juice, a splash of lime juice (about half as much as the orange juice), a dash or two of soy sauce, some ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper. It makes a nice SE asian style dressing.

It will probably keep for a week. I make it for a change of pace.
"Through difficulty lies opportunity" Albert Einstein
alyza

Postby Donna R » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Mrs. Doodle, I read that 2 tablespoons of tahini has 16 grams of fat. that's the amount in your salad dressing. do you eat the whole recipe in one day? if not I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are losing weight.

has anyone tried adding a little water to their salad dressing and putting it in a spray bottle--like the new ads on tv?
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:56 pm

What I have done is to make the dressing with no tahini. I've gone through a few versions of it now, and the one I like the best is to use lite firm tofu, not the silken, and put about 2 tablespoons of Bragg's in it, and leave out the tahini and the water. This gives me the best flavor and I don't miss the tahini at all. It makes about 2 1/2 cups and I use that much in about 5 or 6 days.

I find that I eat more salad if I have some dressing I like. Even though the tofu has some fat in it, I'm losing weight.

My next step is to get going on exercise again, but I'm doing it in baby steps just like I did with getting back on track with MWL. The baby steps really do work.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program