VWNut

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

VWNut

Postby Birdy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Dr. McDougall has warned against taking yourself off your medications, especially blood pressure medications. It can be dangerous to do that without a doctor's supervision.
Birdy

BPMs

Postby scarr34 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Yes, I'm doing it very carefully. I monitor my own BP every day. Some types of BPMs will give you rebound BP readings if you drop them abruptly. I eased off the calcium blocker, and I'm waiting a while before making any more changes.

Steve
scarr34

Postby vwnut » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:25 pm

That is very good advice but I will fill you in with some more details. I had an appointment for July2nd but requested that he see me earlier because of my low blood pressure and dizzy spells when standing. That is when he started to take me off the meds. However, it was recommended that I cut the calcium blocker in half even though I asked if it were a time release and not to be cut. I was told it was ok to cut it. My on-line reading disputed that advice and the pharmisist next door concurred with me and told me what I should do. I next read up on the other med, Benicar and found out that it is only a mild blood pressure drug that is used to prevent inflamation for other things like MS, arthritis and Hodgekins Lymphoma. stopping that is no big deal according to the research. In fact, for those other conditions, the dose is every 6-8 hours not one a day. I monitor my blood pressure daily and keep records as well. Thank you for your interest. That is an important detail that you bring up.
"If it is a plant eat it; If it is made in a plant leave it."
vwnut

Time-release meds

Postby scarr34 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 pm

I always thought the coating of the pill had to remain intact for the time release effect. I read somewhere they use lasers to drill tiny holes in the coating to control the rate medication is released. If you cut the pill in half the coating is compromised.

Steve
scarr34

Postby vwnut » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:45 pm

That is my understanding too. The pharmacist and the internet agree but the Dr. said ok to cut it. That is why I am following the pharmacist advice. The calcium blocker is one of those meds that you should be weaned off gradually. The Benicar, however is not that type and is much more mild. Oh, the things we learn when we participate in our care by educating ourselves. The Benicar is also one of those mentioned in The current June newsletter under Save Your Kidneys Part 1.
"If it is a plant eat it; If it is made in a plant leave it."
vwnut

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories