Now down 120 pounds!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Now down 120 pounds!

Postby Nettie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:25 am

Folks, I can hardly believe it. I got on the scale this morning, and I weigh 160! In September 2006 I weighed 282. :-D

For those who are waffling, let me tell you, everything John Mcdougall says is true. You can have your life and your health back if you just eat healthy, low-fat vegan foods. You never have to be hungry again. No weighing, no measuring, no counting points, no portion controls, no calorie-restricted diets. Just good wholesome food and lots of it.

I am almost 60 years old and I have a new life. I roll over in bed at night and my elbows hit my hips and I feel, well, bony! I look down and I have skinny thighs. I keep going to the "fat lady" department in the clothing store because I haven't adjusted to the fact that those clothes don't fit any more. I keep finding clothes way, way back in the closet that I haven't worn in years that fit just fine. People tell me I look like a different person. Incredibly, I have to keep lowering my Synthroid (thyroid medicine) dose because it seems my thyroid gland has begun working again.

And I have energy levels I haven't had since - um - since I went off McDougall in 1999 and gained all my lost weight back. :oops:

I was praying the other morning that the Lord would never let me fall back into that former SAD way of eating. It's such a dead end (literally). A year ago I knew I was a heart attack waiting to happen. I could feel it in my chest.

A month or so ago I had hit a plateau, and a couple of weeks of Mary's Mini got me going again in a big way.

I don't cheat at all, not even a smidgen of refined carbs or fat. I don't even want that stuff in my body any more.

I am going to the doctor today for bloodwork. I'm hoping I'll see some improvement in my cholesterol levels. I've been stalled in that department, but I absolutely refuse to take any statins.

I hope my story inspires just one person to go for it. If I can do it, absolutely anyone can.

Nettie

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgHhCuQ/]
[/url]
Nettie

120 pounds

Postby ladynnred1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:17 am

Nettie,

Yours is such an inspiration so I look for your posts. You have given us your experience which is so useful, even though I McDougalled successfully 11 years ago. It hasn't gone nearly as well this time b/c I have not done what you do: I haven't been as faithful. You give me the reminder to do so.

Thank you.
Cynthia
ladynnred1

Postby Jackie J » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:15 am

Nettie,
Thank you so much for your posts. They truly are an inspiration. I took a real step backwards last night -- because I didn't have enough carbs in the house during the day and was too busy to run out to replenish. It really taught me a lesson.
The thing that you have taught is that consistency and focus really pay off. And to keep the menu simple.
Again, many thanks for sharing your success with us.
Jackie J

Postby Doris » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:46 am

Nettie,

Congratulations !!! You are inspiration to me and I know to a lot of others. And isn't it great to feel those bones! I remember feeling my hip bones for the first time in many years, and it was wonderful. :-D

Thank you so much for continuing to share your story with us!

:)
Last edited by Doris on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doris

Postby Sierra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:01 am

Nettie:

I absolutely can't wait for your Star McDougaller story to appear!!!!
I love to see the before and after pics of people. They truly look like a different person.

You are a true inspiration!!!
Sierra

Postby Birdy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Nettie,
Wow! I can't wait to hear how the lab tests come out. I'm very happy for you and appreciate how you've included us in your progress. I agree that you're the next STAR MCDOUGALLER and I look forward to reading that testimony!!!
Birdy

Congratulations!

Postby Groovy Granny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 pm

What wonderful news. Yep! I can't wait to read your Star McDougaller story.
Groovy Granny

Postby Jackie J » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Nettie,
Question - what type of ff dressing do you use with your salads?
Thanks in advance.
Jackie J

Postby Nettie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 am

Jackie J wrote:Hi Nettie,
Question - what type of ff dressing do you use with your salads?
Thanks in advance.

This is probably the only thing which Dr. John would want me to change for the better: I eat Kraft ff French dressing. :oops: The French style is the only Kraft dressing which doesn't mention oil in the ingredients. It does, however, have corn syrup & sugar, which I'd prefer to avoid.

I haven't gotten into making my own dressings, but I would be open to it if I found something I like that was fat free. I would like a creamy style of dressing, not vinegary, and I'm not so sure a receipe for something like that was easily found. Suggestions, anyone?

I also have been thinking about the bagged salads I eat. In another forum someone mentioned that Dole recently recalled some of their bagged salads due to E. coli contamination. Yikes! I eat about 4 or more bags of romaine hearts plus 3 bags of spinach a week. I buy whatever brand is on sale every week, and I eat at least 1 huge salad a day.

I sooo appreciate all the support I've received on this forum! It has been a huge encouragement. I feel like I have family here who truly cares how I'm doing, and I don't want to let you all down. I can't wait to report back to everyone about my progress. I do wish some more folks would share their success stories. It's so encouraging to those of us who are/were struggling to lose weight and regain our health. I know there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, on this discussion board who have had some success with the McDougall Plan. I sure would love to hear from some of you.

Nettie
Nettie

Postby Jackie J » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:37 pm

thanks, Nettie.
Jackie J

Postby Autumn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 pm

WOW! I just replied to your post 10 lbs ago :D You are at a very fast losing weight. I would love to see pics. Amazing :D
Autumn

Creamy salad dressings

Postby PamM » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi, Nettie. What you generally see for making low-fat creamy salad dressings is tofu or beans. One of those might work for you. Personally, I can't stand either one, because they seem either grainy or goopy :), but last night I was making a stroganoff recipe that told me to puree steamed cauliflower with unsweetned (not plain, specifically unsweetened) soy milk. It came out way too thick for dressing, but I think the combo has possibilities for that. It tasted very rich.

Just a thought . . . I'm going to play around with it myself, I think. It might be a decent sub for tofu in the ranch or Caesar-type recipes . . .

Pam
PamM

Postby toadfood » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Nettie, congratulations on your amazing success! Am I remembering right that you are in OA? I just returned to OA after being away from it for a long time and would love to hear about how you have combined McDougalling with OA. You are an inspiration to me and to so many others here. Thank you.
toadfood

Postby marybeth0051 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Nettie,
Great job!! You should be proud of yourself! Do you have any pics?

I am at a plateau too...what did you eat on the mini, and how long did you do it?
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food" Hippocrates
marybeth0051

Postby cassidy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 pm

Many congrats, Nettie!!! Rah, rah, sis boom bah, YAY Nettie!!!

One question for you...did you MWLP the whole way, or were you able to shed poundage while eating some bread?

Best wishes,
Cassidy!
cassidy

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories