Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Postby France » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi ladies! Can't tell you ALL how wonderful it was to open this thread and read your July updates! It sounds like you're doing superbly on your plant based McDougall path!!!!

It's SO interesting reading about your latest experiences, observations and interactions with others!! I've been inspired by your stories on how to 'nudge' others gently (or not so gently LOL!) to find their way. Your comments were truthful and thoughtful and helped arm me with some new reparte to try. Oy, the questions I also get asked on a regular basis. 'No, I do not plan on becoming protein deficient, sigh'! My standard reply is "Type this into your phone notepad: Watch Forks Over Knives on Netflix and google Dr. mcDougall". Nuff said. For all the hype of 'vegan being the NEW thing for 2017’ (apparently) I'm still the only WFPB person I know in real life.

My journey so far has been amazing. I feel super healthy, am way lighter (55lbs vanished) and an energizer bunny. The best part of all for me is being able to calm my life-long fear/struggle with food. I do NOT weigh, measure or count calories. Do you find the need? I know some people worry about calculating the marcros? It's a freedom I never ever expected to enjoy so much! I walk and cycle now just because I really truly LOVE it - breathing in the O2 - watching my body get light and strong - so surprised there was a muscle hiding under a bodypart! :eek: No fitbit required. Just calm happiness. The smartest thing I ever did BY FAR was put that heinous scale in the frickin' closet! I realize now that we don't need scales living a whole food vegan life. That said, I was ever so curious to just see how much I'd lost at my half year point. It was nice to celebrate the number, do a happy dance, then bury the scale back in the closet where it belongs! :nod:

So - am curious of your experiences with friends and family. Do you have hubands/partners who are also on the journey with you? Have you had difficulty with compliments? Or lost friends? I have a sis in law who is extremely unhappy with my changes, since they've altered our relationship which was all about eating out/entertainment starring bad food choices. To boot, she's also an RN and does not think this plan is sound in the least. Everything she believes is completely anti-McDougall. It's no surprise she is addicted to alcohol, on many meds (because apparently her Dr. Is God) and is pre-diabetic. Perhaps she'll slowly come around when she sees this is right for me. Unfortunately, I knew this plan would isolate a few people from my life. And, I'm okay with that. My husband has been so wonderful - curious always as to what I'm eating or trying, but not changing anytime soon. Am careful not to push and instead 'invite' him to try something a little different or unusual. It's always surprising when he will read labels of something he bought and shake his head saying he wasn't aware and will read the package next time. Little things are rubbing off and that is my quiet intention. One day I caught him watching the CowSpiracy documentary all on his own. I smiled but did not mention it. Baby steps.

I think we'll always stuggle a little (well alot) with eating out until it becomes a normal thing on the menu. I love the idea of carrying a portable mini pressure cooker! You remind me of Joe Cross with his juicer in the back of his SUV across the country! I feel in my heart we are just a few years away from the world finding out the truth. Like the tobacco industry's secrets - slowly revealed as people started to understand how completely misled they were. We'll be able to say... 'Oh, we've known for years'. We'll be gurus. And we'll be healthy.

Thanks again for sharing. And letting me rant a little here... It's very good for the soul!

Franci :-P
France

Postby France » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Rebia - I forgot to ask where you are - northern BC? Just a guess. I love Victoria - it's pretty when it's not pouring! Great to hear your doc was encouraging. Did you have before test numbers for comparison? I imagine they would be looking good! I'm so fortunate to have a super caring GP. So funny - I too rarely ever go - no prescriptions to renew - no pains, issues or ailments of any kind. Just stitches a few years ago when I teetered off my bike, oops! I'm 52, but feel 20. :mrgreen:
France

Postby France » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi Petmomful - now I'm curious about your little pressure cooker! Can you tell me more? The more YouTube vids I watch on the InstantPot, the more I think it would be quite awesome. Even moreso in winter. Do you gals have any experience with it? Oh I should just dive in and get one! 8)
France

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi France, To answer your questions, I am in Northern Saskatchewan. Also I have purchased an instant pot, but have not used it yet. Buyer"s remorse. I am not sure I will as I am not a cook. I prefer to make up large batches of food, freeze and eat all week. I really enjoy chatting with you ladies. Keep it up. I have to go outdoors now as it is very hot inside. later, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello plant eaters, Well, here I am one year into the plan. It has gone quickly and I must say quite easily. I am enjoying the food a lot. The simplicity appeals to me as i am not a cook. I have stayed true to the plan. My weight is great. Steady at 60 to 65 pounds lost. I am 5ft 9 inches tall and weigh 157 wish. Varies day by day but i do not sweat it. Health was my goal and I feel great for 71. No health issues. No sign of the return of breast cancer. It will be 7 years in May. Blood pressure is normal I started B12 a couple of months ago to keep my levels up. Had blood work in Nov. Was low on D, B12 and Iron. No worries as I know Dr. McDougall is okay with lower numbers than reg. Dr. is. Have been struggling with tendonitis in my shoulders due to an over use issue. It is taking a long time to settle down, but I am feeling better. I have learned so much from this board. The encouragement has been amazing. I eat a variety of food and have no desire to ever eat meat or any other animal product. I do eat a bit of oil, sugar and salt. Don't eat out much. I like to know what it is that i am eating. I think that i missed the social eating a lot, but it is worth it. Only lost one friend who thinks that I am not being realistic. My other friends have been quite supportive, but not willing to try it for themselves. (their loss). It is so sad to see all the unhealthy people, when changing their diet could help them so much. I wish I had started sooner, but am happy that I am where I am at. Thanks for all you share. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am

Hello again, It has been almost 2 years ago that I began the McDougall way eating. I have been quite compliant, yet not perfect. I am still eating pretty much the same things every day. My vices being hard candy and popcorn. I have not knowingly eaten any animal products. In total i have lost and maintained 60lbs. I did go down in weight about 5lbs in the Fall. My arthritis's no longer painful. My joints are not red and swollen. I have good flexibility. My broken shoulder healed well and my tendonitis has settled down nicely. Blood pressure is good. No signs of any other ailments. I do not eat much bread or crackers. They make me crave other things. I am off all meds except thyroid. I do take B=12. I have not had a cold or the flu. (do not do flu shots) I am a bit of a sloth. Trying to move around more. It is very cold this winter in Northern Canada, so do not get out a lot. I do speak out about the harm in dairy and meat, but not the way that I did 2 years ago. It still makes me sad to see my friends and loved ones in such bad health and on so many pills. I think people are very unhappy and discontent. Food is their therapy. The more junk, the better. Seems like no one wants to take control of their wellbeing. I no longer get any negative comments about the way I eat and i think some of my friends may be eating more veggies. Eating out is a it easier, but I avoid it if I can. This discussion board is very helpful. I visit every day while eating breakfast. (hot cereal with banana, cinnamon, brown sugar, cashew milk) I always learn something new and interesting. Thanks to all who take the time to share. Happy New Year, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks, Rebia, for giving us an update! Like you, I cherish this board and learn something new almost everyday. I'd like to comment on your comment about being sad that more people don't wake up and change their eating patterns - even when they see such a good example as yourself. I think there is just so much information about every kind of diet a person could dream up out there on the internet and in books. It's hard to decipher through and find the sensible approaches. I'm so thankful I found Dr. McDougall's work.

Congratulations on your weight loss and your ability to truly make it a lifestyle change. :D
moonlight

Postby viv » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Rebia,

Thank you Rebia for updating us on your progress. Here's to another wonderful year of McDougalling! I have similar stats to you in that I am 5' 8" , lost 60 pounds also and I will be 70 this year! I've been on this journey for nearly six years now and I still cannot believe it sometimes that the struggle is finally over after a lifetime. We are so fortunate to not only become aware of this lifestyle but are willing to follow it and save our health and our life.Isn't it wonderful that we can throw a potato in the microwave add some veggies and call it dinner? Who knew? Thanks to you Rebia and the rest of our McDougall community for inspiring me and keeping me on track.

I look forward to your updates this year!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Group, I am wondering how it is that some people take to Dr. McDougall's wise and time proven message to heart and just do it. Then there are those who feel the need to keep looking for that magic way to loose weight or just be healthier and still eat pretty much the way they were eating before. I guess we are all different and need to find our own way of validating our choices. Now I am not saying that this has been an easy journey, but it has been so rewarding that I can not imagine doing it ay other way. I still have not found one other plant based eater in my city. I am encouraged by the slow movement of WFPB into the spotlight. Also the new Canada food guide helping. I must admit that i am a bit disappointed that I got sick for the first time in over 2 years. Guess I thought I was immune to viruses. Ha Ha. My friend's 4 year old sneezed in my face a few days ago and sure enough I got a cold. Coughing, mild fever and general malaise. But it is day 3 and I am on the mend. All of my friend's kids have had colds most of the Winter. I am glad I have survived this long. I do enjoy reading books on the other respected Dr.s. but Dr. McDougall is my go to guy. I hope that all who are searching for good health and weight loss can find the right plan for them. In my opinion Dr. McDougall has all the answers. Even if I find out 20 years from not that he was wrong, I will still be healthier and older than I would have been on the Sad diet that I was formally on. Actually if I live that long I want to make sure I am healthy and self sufficient. So far so good. Keep the good work everyone. Thanks, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am

You make such a good point. Even if there is a better diet (which would totally shock me), we are in such a better place than before. I saw you posted above that you read the boards every day at breakfast. Me, too! Such a great way to start the day.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Lyndzie, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am having my oatmeal as I type. I find this way of eating so easy and very liberating. Of course I only have myself to cook for so I can eat pretty much the same every day and no one complains. I enjoy reading about everyones progress and the maintenance plans that the successful ones enjoy. The biggest burden was lifted from my life when I reached my goal weight and now I do not even think about how much I eat. I weigh myself once a month or less. I began dieting when I was 20 and tried all of them. It was a battle between starving and cheating with bad food. I am amazed that I can eat three filling meals and 2 snacks a day and maintain my goal weight. The biggest reward is knowing that I am healthy and am no longer at risk for a premature death from a food related disease. Just have to keep an eye out for buses. Ha Ha. We had a bit of snow yesterday, I am still nervous to slip and fall. Wish I had known earlier that milk was not protecting my bones. Wonder how long it will take to strengthen my bones now that I am WFPB. My broken shoulder healed well. It has been a year and it is still stiff if i don't stretch it a few times a day. But I am not complaining. There is no pain. I am feeling better today. My cold is not too bothersome. Just an annoying cough. Drinking hot tea which helps. Have a good weekend all. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

Good morning, I can't believe it is almost 3 years since I started this wonderful way of eating. I am thankful to not have had any setbacks or major slip-ups in my diet. I follow the plan pretty close. Still eating my veggie soup daily. Adding a half a pound of potatoes to each serving. I still have people raise their eyebrows when i tell them that I eat a pound of potatoes each day. With
summer here, I eat more salads and greens. I have had a bit of oil creep into my diet, but am always conscious of it and am quick to correct the indulgence and move on. Happy to say my weight has been very steady since the original weight loss of 65 pounds. It still amazes me that I can eat so much food on a regular basis and not gain weight. I have not increased my exercise much. Walking and standing are as good as it gets. I still eat a hot cereal every morning with a banana. As long as I keep the sugar at a minimum, I get no cravings. I have an occasional dark chocolate snack. I eat popcorn often. I eat out rarely and then it is only at 2 places that I feel comfortable. One is a fresh food restaurant where you can build your own salad, burrito or bowl. Very tasty. the other is a family restaurant where I have a baked potato and steamed veggies and a fruit bowl. Very simple. If i ever feel discouraged, I just think of the freedom I have to move around easier and the health that i now have. I am on no meds except thyroid. My arthritis is almost non existent. I have no pain in my neck, back or knees. I am so thankful for Dr. McDougall. As i turn 73, I reflect on how far I have come nutritionally and am so grateful to have been able to change my diet at this late stage of life. To be able to reap the benefits of eating well at my age is humbling. The human body is amazing. To go from a poor diet to amazing health is awesome. I wish others could realize the benefits and give up their life threatening bad eating habits. It is worth it. To all of you who keep going forward, I thank you for leading the way. Your inspiring posts lift up my spirits daily. To all who are on again off again, I encourage you to get on with it and do not look back. It is worth it in the long run. All the best to you. Thanks, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Yomom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Rebia
It is so heartening to read about your continued long-term success.
Thanks for sharing, and congratulations.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks so much Kathy, I love this way of eating. I truly hope that others will get on board with it. The results are nothing short of amazing. I enjoy reading how everyone does the program with their own differences mixed into it. I admire the people who just jump in and make so many changes toward better health and then stick with it with such creativity. Since i am not a big cook, I really enjoy all of the beautiful photos of yummy food that some people make for themselves. Wish I had their ambition. Sincerely, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Hello everyone, Well, here I am celebrating my third year animal free. Wow, the time goes fast. I am still totally on track with my plant based life. I have kept all my weight off quite effortlessly. Even dropped a few more pounds. I am down over 67 lbs. I am a bit more adventurous with my cooking. Still batch cooking and freezing for the week or two. I feel great. No aches or pains. Sleeping very well.
My broken shoulder healed well and other than some stiffness, is quite good. I m shovelling my own snow this Winter. I feel confident that I will be able to stay in my house for many more years and take care of myself. Many thanks to Dr. McDougall and everyone who contributes to this forum. You all help keep me on track. Keep up the good work. Sincerely, Rebia
americaninca46

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories