APRIL 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: APRIL 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am

Lyndzie wrote:Marsha - I wonder if swimming pools will be open this summer (and whether I will feel comfortable going to them). Thank goodness for spring!

I too really miss swimming! My old body misses it a lot; I thought the chlorinated water would be 'safe'. I have new stay-at-home, too-much-sitting, aches. It's interesting the things I really miss the most and want back: a haircut! In another month, I might be able to make a small bun in the back. Card games with my friends. Being able to go out without worrying about staying 6 feet away from people.

Sadly, I think this virus and these social distancing rules will be with us for months, maybe 1-2 years, until a vaccine is available.
So I am moving into the Acceptance phase. And Adaptation.

My mom used to cook rhubarb like applesauce; so a little sugar to cut its bitterness, maybe a dash of cinnamon.

take care, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:41 am

Hi everyone,

Lindsey - I cook the rhubarb in a saucepan with a little water and some sugar. I then have it hot or cold with some porridge. I keep seeing rhubarb used in lots of other ways, including savoury dishes as it is naturally tart. I guess you could blend and use it as apple sauce in baking but haven't tried that yet. Sorry, I didn't answer your previous question about tomato varieties. We have Tigerella, Big Daddy, Outdoor Girl, Idli, Moneymaker, Black Russian and Ailsa Craig. Your lettuce beds sound lovely! What types of beets do you have? I love that you have some chickens, sounds such fun!

Marsha - like the idea of adding cinnamon to rhubarb, will try that next time. Yes, I think you're right about acceptance and adaptation.

Erin - what did you do with your red cabbage? The marinara sauce sounds good!

Glenn and Mark - I also still weigh daily, although I have now moved over to reporting a rolling 7 day average here.

My 7 day average is down by 1 pound after a concerted effort on the off-program snacking, which is within a few ounces of goal weight. My husband's also lost a pound this week (he had been eating more off-program than usual and his weight had gone up by 4 pounds since Feb). He's . Food-wise we've had root veg and pearl barley soup (with some parsnips from a generous friend's allotment), salads with coleslaw and vegan tuna, lots of baked potatoes with mixed veggies and green lentils cooked with rosemary, plus brown rice and veggies. Have been invited to an online dinner with a UK McDougaller on Saturday so looking forward to that.

This week I've made 2 scrubs tops out of my allocated 10. I'm gradually getting to grips with the instructions and some new skills and so hopefully sewing will get quicker! The weather has been very showery so I haven't been in the garden much but have been doing a daily walk, some short Yoga With Adriene videos plus a live Zoom pilates class. On Sunday my step-daughter took me through a resistance band training session which was fun!

Been listening to replays of Gustavo Tolosa's Starch Solution Book Club webinars while sewing and considering doing the Starch Solution Course once I finish the scrubs tops. Has anyone else done it?

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am

Sue, I used my mandolin to very finely slice the red cabbage and I add it to my salads. I haven’t used it all up, it tends to last quite awhile in the fridge. My weight is creeping up a bit so I will need to stay aware. I’m still just over a pound from the top end of my range, but I’d rather stay in the lower half lol. Too many baked treats isn’t helping the cause and my hubby likes to bake. This week I wanted to use up some sour cherries from the freezer so made some simple cookies with a few slivered almonds and walnuts, they turned out quite nice. I’m planning to make something with split peas this week and a cauliflower Alfredo sauce. Also I want to make a couple more lentil loaves, but I need to buy the cornmeal. I’ve been doing some outdoor yard work and got out for a bike ride. The trees have started to bloom so we will have some green here very soon. I am happy our province is starting to open up some things next week and more things are planned in the next couple of weeks.

Meals this week were very simple the mashed potatoes where I added in one sweet turned out nice. I made the super easy gravy with tahini and soya sauce. I haven’t been eating leafy greens as we’ve run out, but we have had broccoli and asparagus. Hope everyone’s week is wonderful, hard to believe it’s May already :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Fri May 01, 2020 9:54 am

Good Friday morning, May 1st
Let's hope this month lets some businesses start to cautiously reopen.

Checking in for May maintenance.

I have only gained 1 lb, but want to lose 4-5 more before calling it done. SO, I am doubling down. Breakfast this morning was some leftover oatmeal and almond milk; then sauteed some red cabbage (shredded using the mandolin) and a collard leaf, mixed with some leftover beans and rice. So tasty!! I have bags of frozen berries so I like a small bowl of them after thawing out.

Off for a walk in the SUNNNNN!

take care everybody, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Sue - Off-program snacking conquered! :D Lentils with rosemary sounds very appealing. :thumbsup: to you for taking on that sewing project.

Erin - Trees are blooming here, as well; it is wonderful to feel that transition into spring, finally.

Marsha - I absolutely loved my warm walk in the sun today, as well!

My weight remains stable, and I continue to be adherent to the MWL 10-Point Checklist. I had a pretty tough week pain-wise, which unfortunately does happen periodically. Hopefully, that will settle back down soon.

Take care and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sat May 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Oh my goodness, It’s May already!! I’ll get that thread posted ASAP.

Marsha - Thanks for the rhubarb tip, I will try that out next time I have some. I just checked my local recommendations, and it looks like swimming pools are permitted to operate starting May 23rd. I’m planning on waiting a bit and seeing how the uptick in cases turns out while they slowly reopen activities. Good luck on dropping the next few pounds, you might find it keeps slowly melting off with your efforts.

Sue - Your tomato varieties sound mouthwateringly delicious! The beets are Detroit Dark Red and Tall Top Early Wonder. Excellent work on the sewing, it sounds like a wonderful way to contribute. Good idea to listen to the book club, I should do that as well instead of the news! Let us know how your virtual dinner goes.

Erin - We’re getting our bi-weekly grocery pick-up tomorrow, and BBQ sauce for lentil loafs is happening! If you are making vegan8’s recipe, I found that 1 lb makes two loafs quite nicely, one for now and one for later.

Mark - Glad to hear from you. Sorry that you’ve had an increase in pain. Hopefully this next week is better. Maybe the float therapy will be opening in your area again soon?

Nothing too much gong on here, yet time seems to fly by. I’m pretty sure my kids are sunburnt from playing outside all day today, but we’re expecting to get rain tomorrow so they’ll have a chance to stay in and rest a bit. Hoping to get the fencing around the raised beds put in during the next couple days so the chickens will quit taking dust baths in them. We’ve enjoyed their company so much (despite the digging) we ordered some more chicks, which we pick up next Saturday. Then later this week I hope to get the rest of the garden planted with zucchini, cucumbers, herbs, tomatoes and flowers (nasturtiums and marigolds). On the menu this week for a quick bite out of the fridge for lunch is a quinoa and black beans salad, and a chickpea and kale salad. Looking forward to grilling up some of Jeff’s bean burgers, too!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat May 02, 2020 2:01 pm

[url]The May thread is up![/url]
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach