APRIL 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

APRIL 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 am

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hello everyone!

Wow, what a whirlwind of a month. My sincere apologies for not getting this up sooner, I truly lost track of the date. With the vast majority of the globe under stay-at-home orders, we are living through a historical time.

Some links for your time indoors:
Dr. McDougall on COVID19, Part 1
Dr. McDougall on COVID-19, Part 2
Jeff’s Fast Food 1 DVD now on Youtube
Groceries for Emergency Preparedness
SNAP Meals and Healthiest Packaged Foods
Staying in Shape When Sheltering Indoors

Wishing everyone the best in this trying time. Remember, stay safe, wash hands, and eat starch!
Lindsey

First check in is today, Friday, April 3, 2020.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: APRIL 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Ejeff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 am

Week was good, a few chocolate chips have reentered my diet. Was quite good to not have them in my environment from Jan through March haha. Weight is up 1.5 pounds so in the middle of the range now. I’m still trying to add some greens to most meals, we have spinach and bok choy right now. I could swear I found a recipe that included celery in a cheese sauce. Of course now I can’t seem to find it. I suppose that would be an interesting thing to try, see if it makes it taste a bit salty.

I’m having a gravy craving so will make some. I’m really so bad at meal planning. I think fries and gravy sound good for tonight.

Thanks Lindsey for creating and maintaining our thread, I appreciate you!! Wishing everyone a good week :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:46 am

Hi everyone

Weight is holding steady based on 7 day average. There are more off-program foods at home and I've been eating them when I feel a bit tired/stressed/anxious about the current situation. My husband has been to keep everyone happy and has bought us way more 'treats' than we'd usually keep at home. Something to work on for next week. He's taken on the meal planning and is doing a great job of planning for a more mixed-eating household than usual, plus cooking most of the meals. Exercise-wise, I've been having a walk with my step-daughter at the end of each working day, which has been lovely. We're lucky to have some beautiful countryside nearby, good weather and to hear the birds singing while we're out. Also, been trying out a variety of online classes, but haven't got into a routine yet. Again that's something for me to work on this week.

Lindsey - great idea to do raised beds. We have those at our allotment and as Glenn says it makes things so much easier to look after. Thanks for maintaining this thread.

It's Mum's 80th birthday today. We've had to postpone her party so we're attempting our first family Zoom call!

Best wishes to everyone, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby wildgoose » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:11 pm

It seems like I lost most of last week, here and over on the MWL board as well. Can’t believe it is April already.

Mark, thanks for the sweet potato link. I’ve heard those Okinawan sweet potatoes are really good. The ones I like are the Japanese — purple on the outside, creamy white on the inside — but I’m definitely willing to try other types, especially if I don’t have to go anywhere to get them!

Lindsey and Glenn, your garden plans sound great and make me feel like spring is coming. Great picture, Glenn! My neighbor and I share a long raised bed that runs the length of our front yards, on her side of the property line. We try different things every year, but we usually get an early and late crop of greens in, if the weather cooperates.

Erin, good grief, is it usual for you to have that much snow so late in the season? Hope it’s gone by now. We top off our raised bed every year, too, alternating soil with compost.

Sue, best of luck staying away from those treats. It’s tough to do, especially these days. Happy Birthday to your Mum, and hope the Zoom call went well.

Marsha, hope the back and hips are better. I had a lot of extra apples, too, some of which were getting a bit wrinkly. My favorite thing to do with them is core and peel them, slice them thin, put them in a saucepan with a ton of cinnamon and just a tiny bit of water, and cook them down till the turn into something that’s like apple pie filling. The apples are plenty sweet by themselves, and the juice thickens as everything cooks.

It was the Gander's birthday yesterday. He wanted spaghetti. We actually had a lot of fun with it. I’ve been getting better at a chunky tomato-basil marinara, and fortunately the grocery gremlins haven’t affected the supply of Roma tomatoes, so I made a really nice thick sauce. I used one of my boxes of Pomi crushed tomatoes, which, with the way things are in Italy, we may not see more of for a while. We decided on Tinkyada spiral pasta instead of spaghetti, and we decided we liked that better. Had some steamed veggies on the pasta along with the sauce, and a huge plate of raw veggies on the side.

Instead of cake, which I can’t have and he doesn’t really care about, we each had a quinoa-banana-oat muffin that I make from a recipe by Tami Kramer (from the blog Nutmeg Notebook). The muffins have oats, quinoa flakes, banana, flax meal, applesauce, and spices. I put in finely chopped apple as well. They have no flour, but I’m not sure they’d be totally MWL anyway. The good news is that they don’t trigger me, and they make a great compromise treat. They freeze well, so they’re not under my beak all the time, which is a good thing.

We're developing a routine for groceries. About every week and a half, I order a pickup at one of our better-stocked grocery stores. I reserve the time slot at least 5 days in advance (time slots fill up fast!) and keep building the order all week. I shop for myself and the Gander and for my garden-mate neighbor. At the same time, my neighbor builds an order for the 3 of us at a different store. Between the two stores, we're doing pretty well on most things. Paper products are still impossible to find — fortunately, we're well stocked there.

The Gander does not go out for groceries. I’ve put my foot down on that, and he hasn't protested much. He’s a tough old bird, but the fact remains that he’s an old bird — 78 now. My neighbor and I aren’t exactly hatchlings, but we're younger, so we do the limited excursions.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:38 am

Welcome April in the year of the virus, what long days these are.

Anyway, I looked Friday for the maintenance thread, but then forgot to check back for it later. So my post is late now. This whole virus thing has messed with my MWL flow! I am up a couple of pounds but that stops now. In the McDougall newsletter there was a recipe for pioneer gingerbread cake. I made it using homemade applesauce. It's very good. Could be eating too much of it!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Ejeff » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 am

Goose, yes we usually do have a lot of snow at beginning of April. It likely won’t all melt for at least a couple more weeks. It has been quite nice and sunny lately so I’ve been enjoying watching the icicles melt lol.

Your marinara sauce sounds delicious.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby GlennR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:08 pm

The world seems an odd place with the streets almost empty most of the time. If I was up at my cottage, I'd expect that, but not so much in a city of 600,000 people. The government has asked us not to go to our cottages so as to not burden their local health care. I can understand that but I suppose they'll still charge me the same property tax on it. :)

It's still a bit too cool to really do much in the gardens yet but I suppose the warm weather will come when it should.

I will be happy when some of the restrictions list as I have to make a run to the recycling center to pass on some furniture that someone else may make use of.

I haven't strayed at all from clean eating and it seems to be easier these days to skip the take-out food that my family orders. The scale bounces around a bit but not too much and not near the top of my range. I've been continuing my resistance training and continue walking my dog daily.

So, nothing much has changed since I reached my goal weight, which is what I want. I believe the recomposition of my body, lose some fat, put on some muscle, will follow naturally from my resistance training and I've learned to be patient with body changes and myself.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Suey51 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:53 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all safe and well this week.

Glenn - love the picture of your garden!

Weight is up by 0.3 of a pound but I'm happy with that in the circumstances.

This week I've been sewing scrubs bags for our local hospitals and attended some training for volunteers who are going to make deliveries to vulnerable people. Am on the list to help with a meal delivery service run by the community space where I usually volunteer. Other than that, have been pottering in the garden, enjoying a daily walk with my step-daughter and cooking. Food-wise we've had root veg and cannelini bean soup, chick pea salad (again!), coleslaw, mushroom risotto, sweet potato and black bean enchiladas, roasted potatoes, salads, leafy greens and rice. Have enjoyed making a couple of new dishes which were inspired by my step-daughter and will now be part of our regular menu! :-D

Best wishes to you all, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:43 am

Erin - Sounds like you are having an overall good week, despite those pesky chocolate chips. Stress eating is not unfathomable at a time like this. Well done keeping it to a minimum.

Sue - We’ve had “treats” enter our house as well. So thoughtful, yet so challenging. Happy belated birthday to your mom! I hope she had a wonderful yet quieter-than-usual birthday. My middle daughter turned 6 on April 2nd, with lots of FaceTime involved as well.

Goose - A week of birthdays it was! Happy belated good wishes to your husband. Your dinner and “cake” sound delicious! Man, online ordering has been a learning curve, especially when the store is out of something, and you’re not doing another one for awhile. Sounds like you have a good routine going there.

Marsha - Good luck with avoiding baking! With all the free time, it’s so tempting to bake up comfort foods. Even too much compliant ones can be troublesome.

Glenn - Such a positive attitude is so great right now. It can be hard to eat separately from the family, especially when getting take out. Congrats on staying on plan.

Sue, again - Excellent idea to help with sewing scrub bags. Do you have a link to the pattern? So kind of you to do deliveries to help in the community.

I’ve been sewing up a storm to make face masks for my neighbors, and have been quite absent from here this past week. Hopefully things settle down here this next week. We had absolutely lovely weather for the past few days, which gives us something to look forward to when the news has been bleak. Stay safe everyone!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GlennR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:34 am

I had a good week. I ate to plan and did my walking and resistance training.

I'm looking forward to Easter Sunday when my family will be dining together virtually. My oldest son and his wife can't travel to us as originally planned but we've decided to set up an online video chat so we can dine together as a family. We may be geographically distant but we'll all be together just the same.

I hope each and every one of you have a great weekend!
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Suey51 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 am

Hi Lindsey,

Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Re: scrubs bags. We're using this: How to make a simple drawstring bag… Took me a bit of time to get it figured out but now have a mini-production line going! We're making them 20 inches wide by 25 inches long.

Well done you on making up face masks for your neighbours :-) I'm waiting for some interfacing to arrive and will then try my hand at making some.

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating this weekend xx
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:03 am

Lindsey and Sue, how wonderful you are both helping out by sewing. My week was okay, fitting in exercise at home and walking most days. Enjoyed sweet potato stew and veggie burgers this week. Made the Vegan8 lentil loaf and it was really nice. Held its shape well and the homemade bbq sauce has a good kick to it. Eating far too many compliant treats, will try to do better this week. Weight down 0.2. This week planning to make pizza, chickpea tuno, lasagna and another veggie burger with sunflower seeds, mushrooms, and veggies. Of course will also eat lots of potatoes, that just goes without saying haha.

My 14 day quarantine ended so made a trip to Costco. Boy that was something else. If all the virus news wasn’t enough to freak people out shopping there was. Don’t want to do that very often. Also went to bulk barn as I was having trouble finding brown rice and whole wheat flour. That was a pleasant experience, they do all the scooping now for you. The girl helping me was so nice, just made my day really. We are planning to have a family Skype over this Easter weekend as there are no gatherings.

Wishing you all a blessed and peaceful Easter :-D
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 am

Saturday April 11, 2020

I keep forgetting to check in on Friday!! Days blur together now. The enormity of this pandemic hit me this past week. The jokes and memes aren't funny anymore. I have done a lot of walking, so thankful for good weather during this, and I see almost every store and shop closed. Countless people's lives are affected. Every service or vendor we relied on to maintain our daily lives is impacted; sadly many won't survive. We won't be returning to life as it was in February for a very long time. We will be wearing masks for a long time.

So I am adopting a new mindset now. In fact, I am thinking of 'staples' like beans, rice, oatmeal, flour, etc. Those actually are harder to find now. The stores I use have closed many of the bulk bins. So new strategies are needed. I made a yummy split pea soup and wanted cornbread with it, but need to find it.

I also am renewed in eating healthy, losing a few more pounds, walking every day. Need to add some live stream yoga for stretching.

Hope everybody is coping with this new world.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 pm

I regret not finding time to be more present in this thread, and check-in with everybody - I wish all of you the very best and hope all is well. Time is feeling like a really scarce resource for me right now; it turns out facilitating and supporting "remote learning" for a 6-year old is TIME intensive. Who knew! :-P I'm still holding steady, and following the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as usual.

All my best!
- Mark
Mark Cooper

Postby Ejeff » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:35 am

Mark , glad you are holding steady. Great job with the MWL thread. So many new participants, yet you manage to respond to all and stay organized. And at the same time home schooling. I’m thinking you must be a very organized person! Wishing you a great week.
Ejeff

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories