AUGUST 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: AUGUST 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Ejeff » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:07 am

Good for you Sue a year without alcohol. I haven’t given it up completely although I have thought about it. I’ve had some non compliant junk food this past week. Doesn’t make me feel sick, but I don’t like it mentally and it does take me down the pleasure trap, some seems to lead to more. Otherwise been eating quite simply. I always seem to enjoy oats with cauliflower and berries for breakfast. I did buy a box of Red River cereal which will be a nice change. I made a very tasty Buffalo Cauliflower dip from veggiesdontbite. It is nice and creamy and the whole family enjoyed it on our camping weekend. The creaminess comes from cashews, beans and potato. I will definitely be making it again and it would be a nice potluck dish as it could be brought in a slow cooker crockpot. For camping I also made the brand new vegan taco meat which was walnuts, cauliflower and mushrooms. I enjoyed that also.

Haven’t been following my usual exercise routine as I was still trying to rest some. I do like that I haven’t wavered on my twice a week weight routine for arms. My hubby was supposed to have his knee replacement this week and just as we were leaving for the hospital they called and cancelled. New date is September 11th. Oh well, he has waited 2 years what’s another couple weeks. Such is the healthcare system in Canada!

Sue, all your homegrown produce sounds great. I’ve been enjoying the lettuce I’m growing, but soon the season will be over.

Wishing you all a happy week ahead.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks Erin :-) I hadn't planned to give up, but life seems better without it so I've decided to carry on this way for now. Your food sounds lovely. I empathise with you with the junk food and pleasure trap. Its good that you're aware of the consequences of eating it. I ate some off-program baked goods yesterday and was aware of both pleasant and unpleasant sensations while eating them. The taste and texture of the fat/oil and white flour has put me off having it again. Do you know what caused you to eat them? For me, I think it was feeling tired after not enough sleep the night before and a slight headache caused by weather changes. Of course the food didn't really help but a good night's sleep has!

I'm curious about the idea of oats with cauliflower and berries, I wouldn't have put those two together. Something for me to try when we next have cauliflower! Can you feel a difference in your arms with your weights routine? Sorry to hear that your husband's op has been postponed. Hope it goes ahead on 11th Sept.

Weight is holding steady at 2 pounds below my previous goal weight and 1 pound above my new goal. Reached the final week of the Couch To 5K running programme but am still a way off running 5K. I plan to continue running and for now run for 30 minutes three times next week, rather than increase the time. I can see/feel some new muscle tone in parts of my body since I started doing the programme and returning to a weights routine at the gym 2-3 times a week.

In the garden things are starting to slow down for Autumn. The weather has changed dramatically with strong winds and lots of rain so the plants are looking a bit battered. Harvested some large pumpkins which we have stored in the allotment shed as we'll need to transport them home in the car! We've frozen lots of tomatoes and a tomato and garlic sauce as the base for future pasta dishes. Also tried out this vegetable soup recipe (leaving out the oil) to use up some veggies. It was really tasty and a nice change from some of my usual ones.

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Plumerias » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am

Good morning all!

Erin, when does your growing season end? Do you have any foliage coloring up yet, or is that still too soon? Do you have a plan B if you cannot go south in your RV for the winter?

Sue, congratulations on your alcohol free anniversary! It's good that your life is better without it, as that will help with future temptations. It's funny, when people ask how we can eat this way so long, the answer is simple....... we feel better, and that's enough to motivate us to continue forever. Pumpkins, wow! What will you do with them? I like to buy a few small size pie pumpkins and use them for autumnal decorations. When you live in a small space, there's only minimal room for that kind of thing. Then my husband turns them into black bean and pumpkin chili when it's time to put out the Christmas decorations.

We are continuing to enjoy the abundant local produce, shopping at that market on Wednesdays, stopping at the fussy store for berries (Wednesdays is 10% off for seniors, making them acceptably priced.), and then getting the rest of the stuff on Thursdays at the regular grocery store. Um, I seem to have a bad case of eyes bigger than belly still. Oh, gosh, all those sayings of your parents coming out of your own mouths, yikes. I've always enjoyed the progression of the seasons, and the changing produce. Local pears, apples, and prune plums have joined the offerings. It's most strange to see pears and apples sold in those huge move them on a pallet boxes that watermelons and pumpkins are in. And yes, we did get watermelon and cantaloupe again as well. Yup, eyes bigger than bellies!

The farm also offers pick you own flower bouquets, which is very nice as I miss flowers from the farmers markets and my own yard. While we were out in the field, large numbers of Canada geese flew over us, by the dozens, honking, group after group after group. We just stood and watched them fly. Hmmm, a sign that summer is drawing to a close.

We got a call while I was writing this from the salesman at the RV consignment place. Our RV has sold! Okay, before that's actually real, we must have a check in hand read to deposit. But gosh, in this current situation we were concerned that it would just sit there forever. So, happy dance here, sorta. Real dance comes when it's actually real, know what I mean. Then we need to sit together and remember all the good times we had exploring North America. Europe has sights, North America has scenery, awesome scenery.
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:26 pm

The September thread is live!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories