OCTOBER 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: OCTOBER 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:16 am

Hi everyone,

How's everyone's week been? Autumn is well and truly here in the UK and I've been getting outside as much as possible to enjoy the stunning colours as the leaves change. Have done some fab walks with my step-daughter or a walking buddy. Still not running which I really miss and debating trying a short run to see how the ankle feels. I've made a few more masks for friends and myself

Did anyone catch this testimonial of the 12 Day Online Program? It was lovely to hear her enthusiasm for the changes she's found since attending. I was struck by her comments about mood improvements. Have any of you experienced this?

Weight is the same as last week. Overall a pretty-good week eating wise with a root veg and pearl barley soup, my husband's tri-mash as he called it (white potatoes, sweet potatoes and swede) with greens, sweet potato and black bean quesadillas, baked potatoes with rosemary lentils and greens. Am still a little in the pleasure trap after last week's off-program eating, but making better choices.

Best wishes, Sue
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:59 am

Hello, week has been very good. I was invited to play indoor pickleball with a group of ladies several days a week. That’s been fun and keeping me active.

Sue, thanks for the link to the testimonial. I’m not really sure if my mood is better as I have eaten this way for many years so it’s hard to remember lol. I can say that I’m generally a positive and happy person, but now that I have the food right I feel more healthy and have more energy. People are always amazed when they hear I am retired and that I have a 30 year old son. They seem to guess I am early 40’s instead of 57 so I will take that. This just happened at a new hair salon and I do have some grey hair which I’m no longer colouring. I think being slim makes a person look younger.

I made those mashed potato fries, they turned out excellent. I think I did over bake them a touch as I wanted to make sure they were crispy. They were very crispy. What I like about the recipe is the fries will always come out a consistent size and texture. Will definitely make them again. Glad you mentioned the quesadillas my daughter and spouse are coming over tomorrow and I was planning to make them. Will add some sweet potato which I wasn’t really thinking of.

I believe I am still overeating so will work on that some more. Down half a pound this week, but still one pound above what I want my maximum to be. I think I am going to move toward 2 meals a day again. I did that for a long time and I know that is what Mark does. I suppose I really need to decide if I’m hungry or not as opposed to just eating because it seems like the right time.

Have a great week everyone.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Plumerias » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:56 am

Good morning all!

Here too autumn has arrived, in all its colorful glory. We didn't know what to expect given that summer here is very dry. Between that and the smoke event, we figured no color. OH MY! My favorite is the reds, and with a multitude of maple species, including lots of kinds of Japanese maples, YES on the reds. When you walk the same way each morning, you see the changes each day brings.

The farm still had corn this Wednesday, as well as green beans and the most lovely cauliflower. And of course, more hard squashes. So that's what we're cooking with this week. It is indeed time for soups and stews and all. I got my favorite pear, Comice, for $.99 a pound. Normally it's more expensive than the "standard" offerings, so this was a bargain. It has a shorter season, as it has a higher sugar content and stores less well.

Erin, do you think maybe you could close that door and keep that cold air up there? :lol: It's strange to be cold. Typically this the time of the year we'd be heading south to where it's warmer.

Funny, isn't it, the reaction to coconut milk dishes the longer we eat this way. We have an old (think recording on cassette tapes and watching and re-watching until you figured out the measurements) Jamie Oliver recipe for a pineapple and plantain curry that uses a can of full fat coconut milk. It was such a treat. Last time we made it it sat so heavily on the stomach. Just plain yuck. Now I look at a recipe with coconut milk and my stomach protests, shouts NOOOOO! It's so strange, because we can use the flaked coconut in dishes like a vegetable poriyal with no problems. A friend told me she uses almond milk and coconut extract instead.

Sue, glad to hear you enjoyed the chili. There's an old recipe here somewhere for zucchini chili, but I can't find it at present. That one's nice too. Root vegetables and pearl barley soup?

I don't know that I've noticed a difference in mood eating this way, but we both know we feel better in general. I tend to suffer from depression, which can be difficult, but it doesn't make me want to eat junk, just to overeat.

We need to buy some new cookware to use in the oven, some casserole dishes and maybe something that can go from stove to oven.

Well, time go get bundled up and go for that morning walk. Have a good week all.
Plumerias

Postby Suey51 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:56 am

Hi everyone,

A quick check-in from me to report my weight on Friday was the same as last previous week. We've been away for a few days and I suspect my weight will have bobbed up a little when I we get back home tomorrow. We've done some wonderful walks in beautiful countryside and spent time with my step-son.

Thanks Erin for sharing your experiences. Great to hear that you feel more healthy and have more energy! I've also stopped dying my hair and when we were in Spain in the Spring, several people thought I was Danish or Swedish. I think its the combo of being slim and having longer hair with grey streaks - not common among Brits my age. Perhaps I have some viking ancestors lol!

Thanks Plumerias :)

Best wishes to you all xx
Suey51

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories