DECEMBER 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

DECEMBER 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hello everyone!

We’re in the last month of the year! Usually this is a time filled with numerous gatherings and social engagements to navigate. Not this year! ‘Tis the season to stay home and eat starch. Enjoy your freed up schedule and have a more relaxed holiday season.

Stay safe, wear a mask, wash your hands and eat starch,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: DECEMBER 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby victw » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 pm

I'm in.

It's been a while since I posted. I've had a pretty good year for weight. But the food choices have not been good. I've learned to "cheat" well. I'm up a few pounds and it occurred to me to come home. That's what this place is. Home.
I was going to join the MWL thread. But considering this is the period between Thanksgiving and Xmas - I will not kid myself.

I cooked pinto and black beans yesterday. Tomorrow I will make one of my tried and true McDougall newsletter recipes.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/feb/recipes.htm
The red posole

I usually load this up with extra veggies. This time it will be cabbage. It's my healthy version of "tortilla soup."
This should last for a couple of days.

I will be starting with my weight from Friday. 137. We think the digital scale reset itself to a lower weight. So even though it looks like I'm only a lb heavier than last year at this time - I know it's worse because my hiking pants are tight.

I look forward to spending the month with everyone. At the end of the month I will reassess whether this thread or MWL thread is better for January.

Happy Holidays.
Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:03 am

Hi Vicki! Welcome back. I had a couple of dreadfully awful months and had to refocus my efforts as well. This is definitely a year to be gentle with yourself.

One of the most memorable dishes I’ve ever had was a posole verde (unfortunately, the restaruant recently closed permanently due to covid. :-( It was my husband’s favorite restaurant.). The red posole looks delicious, I’m in need of a new soup, thanks for sharing.

First official check in for this thread is this Friday, December 4, 2020.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am

Hi everyone,

Erin – oh yes – I need one of those “The Fat You Eat Is The Fat You Wear” t-shirts too! Chef AJ’s story is amazing isn’t it. Your food sounds delicious! Love those sunny cold days :-)

Vicki – welcome home! I hear you regarding learning to ‘cheat well’. Thanks for sharing the red posole recipe. If I can track down some hominy, I will give it a try :)

My weight is down by 0.4 so just touching on goal weight. I’m giving myself a mini-reset for a couple of weeks by using the 10 point McD checklist as I work to undo some new-ish habits.

Exercise has been less the past few weeks due to a mild ankle sprain which is taking ages to heal, but still doing some walking and pilates classes. Saw a physio yesterday to get some treatment and advice. However, have started learning to crochet to keep myself entertained (and distracted from those off-program snacks!) in the evenings. Am surprised at how absorbing it is; it really does keep my mind from wandering!

Celery salt is one of my fav condiments and I will often have a little sprinkled on a baked potato at the table. This week I found some ground celery (i.e. just celery, with no salt) in the herbs and spices aisles of a local supermarket and it makes a really good salt-free alternative! What are your favourite no-salt condiments?

When people find out that I follow this way of eating, one of the most frequent asked questions is: Why no oil? And then: Not even olive oil? To remind myself of the answer I checked out a few resources; whether I choose to answer using any of this information, or just to deflect with a ‘well that’s what the program says’, it was good to have a recap. While I don't use any oil in home cooking, it's in some of the off-program evening snack items I was munching during the past few weeks. Yesterday, I was tempted but resisted the call of the vegan cheese slices (full of coconut oil) in the 'health food shop' yesterday :-) Erin, I might have to get a second t-shirt with a picture of a megaphone and the words ‘NO OIL!!!!!!’

NO OIL! Really, NO oil! Webinar 03/17/16

No Oil -- Not Even Olive Oil! - Caldwell Esselstyn MD

And Jeff Novick’s posts on: Why no oil? and It Is Not The Olive Oil

Stay safe and eat starch, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 am

Lindsey, lockdown is fine, but it does make life more boring and somewhat lonely. I’m a very social extravert type person so I hope it all ends soon. Yes we had quite a bit of snow. We are now having very mild temperatures and lots of sun so walking in the crisp air is really wonderful.

Sue, hope your ankle heals faster now that you’ve had some Physiotherapy. I also went to Physio for my continuing right leg pain. Turns out my right leg/side is much weaker than my left so I’m doing daily strengthening exercises to improve that. Oh yes, great idea a No Oil shirt would be perfect also. Thanks for the links to the no oil videos. I have seen the Esselstyn one, and will watch the other soon. Thanks for the tip on using celery seed. I will try that. I do have some Mrs. Dash also. I find oregano and basil are nice sprinkled on most anything.

My weight is back up to 0.2 over my upper limit. Probably need to eat more potatoes lol. One thing we’ve been doing is buying lots of garlic, removing the skin and freezing the cloves. I find this handy to have on hand. I had too many mushrooms so ended up pan frying them with a bit of garlic powder. I froze those and added to soup this week. The texture of the mushrooms was good, nice and chewy I would say. I might add freezing mushrooms to my batch prepping as they would be nice added to any starch.

My daughter gave me some dill pickle soup, was so tasty and hearty. In winter it is easy to eat soup every day. My other daughter bought us a tea advent for this month. So we split up each little tin and every day we have a new flavour to try. It’s fun to do this together and nice to wake up and have a little surprise not knowing what the tea will be. Today is raspberry lemon.

Have a great week everyone, hope you have lots of sunny days!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Plumerias » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:15 pm

It huffed and it puffed and it blew so much down....... We had an incredible "tree stripper" wind a few days ago. You know, the kind that brings down all those little loose bits of things in trees, fills the sky with leaves and makes them dance in the streets. Our dogwood was made bare in just a day. But it's now much easier to find all those little birds I've been hearing! :) Now, if the little buggers would just hold still long enough for me to figure out who I'm looking at, that would be nice. And speaking of birds, our little female hummingbird was outside on the camellias one morning. Frost on rooftops and cars, and there she is, flying about, brrrrr. Just a couple of days ago I saw a male, first time, whose throat colors all but matched those camellia blossoms. Oh, and the crows, they're busy feasting on persimmons high up in trees. I'm very much enjoying all the juncos out in the back yard. I do, however, miss cardinals a great deal. They don't live on this side of the country, and we always had them at our feeders all year, including their fledglings. :crybaby:

It's nice, having the cherry Christmas lights up in the house, as they add some colors. This is the first time since 2007 that we've had a full sized tree, something that so does not fit in and RV. I had become accustomed to the poinsettia plants being outside, it's rather strange to have it indoors.

Hello Vicki, nice to meet you.

Erin, samosa bites? Dill pickle soup? No need to post a recipe for me, as I don't care for dill pickles, I just never heard of it.

Oh, I'll take those wishes for lots of sunny days, thanks! It's actually been sunnier that I thought it might be, which is very nice, as I tend to be somewhat solar powered. Don't have to be in the sun, but seeing it helps so much.

Sue, how's Spain? Get all that painting and stuff done? Will you go home for Christmas, or just stay there? I seem to remember that last year you went home and returned to Spain after the holidays, but perhaps that's not an option this year.

Lindsey, what did your husband have to say about his first turkey free Thanksgiving? Did you watch any of the Macy's parade? LOL, I did, mostly on fast forward, the fourth speed! The only thing I slowed down and watched was the Rockettes and the Santa float. Can't say as I've ever seen the Rockettes so, mmmmm, sedate.

Christmas shopping? Well, you do have small children who still believe in that lovely magic. Shop safely.

Two of our winter squashes got some bad spots on them. Drat, it shouldn't happen so soon. The red kuri got baked and is in the freezer, as I still haven't figured out how to use that. The kabocha was turned into one of those "well, there's this and that in the fridge, and how bad can it be" kind of recipes. Fortunately it was quite tasty, as that man is utterly incapable of making a small recipe of anything, and it made enough for three meals. Kabocha cooked in the Instant Pot gets really creamy, just melting into the dish.

I need to find some soup and stew recipes that do not contain tomato products, as he who shops says the shelves are not always well stocked. No coconut milk either! :lol:

At my request, hubby bought me a bottle of ras el hanout. Okay, who knows how to use it?
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Sue - Thanks for posting those videos. I got to watch a portion of the new interview with Chef AJ, and Dr. McDougall is just the best. You have done an excellent job of maintaining your weight, even with the curveballs that life throws and travelling. As far as no-salt condiments, I like Trader Joe’s Hot Sauce (I think this is only in the US). Thanks for the additional videos and good luck with the physio.

Erin - What is dill pickle soup? My family is full of pickle-lovers, they even eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (eww). Please share the recipe! The tea advent calendar sounds like a lovely idea.

Plumerias - You paint such a vivid picture with your words. The nature in your area sounds inspiring. My husband did survive Thanksgiving without turkey, his whole family was flabbergasted that not having it was even possible, haha. We did not watch the parade this year, we were too busy cooking. As far as shopping, thank goodness for delivery and curbside pick up. For some soups without tomatoes, what about butternut squash? Or Straight Up Food’s beefless stew (it uses some tomato puree, so hopefully you can track that down). Also, I love ras el hanout! It’s for tajine. The key to successful tajine is making sure to include some sort of dried fruit (like apricots or raisins), preserved lemon and olives. Serve over couscous. It’s so good!

I have been doing very well with staying on plan despite the cookies and candies that have started creeping into the house. Truth be told, I ate a few cookies but my stomach revolted so strongly that I’m scared to eat any of it. Tonight I made a delicious dinner of mashed potatoes and balsamic dijon brussel sprouts. My sister is home from grad school and will be over tomorrow night for a “slumber party” and I’m making black bean and sweet potato tacos.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby victw » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:30 pm

I have not disappeared. Just not consistent. Like the food.

The first week of December was inconsistent. I went grocery shopping and saw a seasonal non-plan food. Thought - well it's only once a year. Pure pleasure trap. I ate the whole box in one day. I was up a lb from the week before. This week is starting off a little better. We home cooked all of our meals this weekend. One of the soups did not turn out so good. Soups for us are meant to last a couple of days. I've added a couple of spoonfuls of okra juice. That perked it up.

I googled the dill pickle soup. I'd love to have a tried and true recipe - please share Erin

Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Ejeff » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:49 am

I have never tried a peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. And I don’t want to because I already eat enough peanut butter lol. I asked my daughter and there isn’t a link to the dill pickle soup recipe, but here are the ingredients. It was almost like a stew so if you want more broth perhaps less potatoes.

2 quarts veggie broth
1 head dill
6 dill pickles
2/3 cup pickle juice
4 carrots
6 potatoes
Salt and pepper
1 onion

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:51 am

Vicki - The stuff in the stores right now is so tempting. On the plus side, you got the offending food out of the house ASAP. Excellent move to get the batch cooking done for the week. Hopefully this week’s creations are tastier. :D

Erin - Thanks for the recipe! I might give it a try, potatoes are so good, adding pickles seems like another win.

I am down in the center of my “acceptable weight range.” Yay! That’s a loss of 9 lbs in roughly 7 weeks. Of course when it’s charted, it looks more like a mountain range than a straight line. I’m excited to see how this continues.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:25 am

Lindsey, that is excellent progress getting your weight right back down, good for you. Always love to hear the success stories.

I am just below the upper limit again for weight. This week I ate a lot of squash. I made the acorn squash into a creamy soup and the butternut squash into a sort of pasta sauce. I also made the millet squares. Very easy to make. I was using them as a bread substitute, I would just take one out of the fridge and pop in air fryer for 5 minutes to make it crispy. I also ate it like a dessert with berries on top. I will try making them again with some garlic and Italian seasoning and make some croutons. Could also be a decent pizza base.

This week I’m planning to make Sunburgers which are basically oats boiled with water and spices and then baked into patties. They freeze well and I have a lot of oats on hand. Yesterday I made another batch of Dal and shared some with the kids.

Tonight we are planning to go for a walk to enjoy some Christmas lights. Will have to bundle up as our weather is colder for a few days.

Wishing you all a nice week!
Erin
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:31 am

Re: no-salt condiments - thanks for the feedback, I'll give those a try. My husband uses dried chilli flakes on lots of meals. I sometimes use Sriracha which is tasty but does have a little salt.

Lindsey - congratulations on that weight loss - an impressive result!

Plumerias- Spain is lovely thank you. My husband has finished painting downstairs - yay! He has decided to delay painting upstairs as the weather has been good and he has been able t get out and play golf as restrictions here have eased a little. Yes, you have a good memory. Last year we went home for Christmas and a family birthday.This year we are planning to stay here. This was always our plan, but the current Covid travel rules to/from UK are just too difficult/costly. And don't get me started on Brexit - LOL! How wonderful to have hummingbirds locally. In this part of Spain, there are also poinsettias outside at this time of year. They are planted in many of the roundabouts/municipally-managed flower beds.I've bought a couple for the window ledges either side of our front door, where we usually have geraniums. In the UK they are definitely an indoor plant! We are very lucky to have so many gorgeously-coloured plants here at this time of year - cerise/red/purple bougainvillea, bi-coloured lantana in pink and orange or red and yellow, bright red geraniums, plus others that I can't name yet!

Vicki - I hear you re: the pleasure trap. It's easily done at this time of year. Good job on the weekend batch cooking!

Erin - the squash dishes sound yummy as do those millet squares! Am definitely eating too much bread at the moment so will give those a try when I can track down some millet.

Weight-wise I'm holding steady at the top of my goal weight-range. I feel healthy and the physio seems to be helping my ankle, so I'm grateful for both of those.

Yesterday, I listened to a new PCRM podcast - New Evidence Plant-Based Diets Help Weight Loss and Boost Metabolism - which describes their recent research showing post-meal calorie burn from low fat plant-based (LFPB) diets. The study showed that the group on the LFPB diet burned 14% more calories than the control group! They also talk about how LFPB diet helps with fatty liver and pre-diabetes.

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:39 am

Plumerias - you asked about a recipe for our Root Vegetable and Pearl Barley Soup:

Ingredients
2 medium brown onions finely chopped
5 small/medium carrots diced
2 medium parsnips diced
½ small swede diced
3 sticks celery diced
1 leek finely sliced (cut in half lengthways and then into thin slices)
1 cup dried pearl barley
½ cup dried red lentils
Veggie stock cube
Water
Optional: one 14oz can cannelini or butter beans drained and rinsed

Method
Soak pearl barley overnight. Rinse and add to a medium sized saucepan along with 4 cups of water. Bring to boil, lower temperature to a simmer and cover with a lid. After about 25 minutes, add rinsed dried red lentils to the same pan and continue to cook for another 20 minutes. Add more water if needed to prevent sticking. Take off heat once lentils are cooked and have mostly disintegrated.

In a large soup or stock pan add the chopped onion, carrots and celery and a tablespoon or two of water. On a low/medium heat cook for about 10 minutes (until onions are translucent), adding a little more water if needed. Then add diced swede, parsnip and leeks and cook for another 10 minutes before adding, cooked barley and lentil mixture, stock cube, 5 cups of water and rinsed cannelini or butter beans if using. While veggies are cooking, check consistency and add more water or stock if needed.

Notes:
We jotted this down when we made it last week, but I'm not 100% sure on the water quantities so please use more or less depending, on how it looks and how you like your soup! I usually cook the pearl barley and lentils until most of the water has gone, and the lentils are completely soft, but make sure there's enough water in the pan to prevent sticking. Depending on how much water is left, you may need to adjust the amount of water you add to the soup later.
If you prefer a soup with a clear stock, omit red lentils.
I usually make this with pearl barley as that's what our family has always used in casseroles. Last week I made it with barley as that was all we could find locally and it took a bit longer to cook. The soup didn't have quite the same mouth-feel as with pearl barley but was still good.
Other than a low salt stock cube we don't add any seasoning while cooking, because we like the taste of the root veggies; the carrots and parsnip bring a mild sweetness to the soup. On serving, my husband likes to add some chili flakes, I sometimes add a little salt or yeast flakes.
Soup is good on its own or poured over boiled potatoes and leafy greens.
Suey51

Postby Plumerias » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks Sue!
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Erin - Your dishes sound delicious. This time of year can be tough on the scales. Enjoy the Christmas lights!

Sue - Thanks for the podcast link. And, for the soup recipe! I’ve been looking for more soups that are not bean-based. This week I made 15-bean soup, but it just sits a bit heavy. Had to google “swede,” apparently it is also known as “rutabaga” in these parts. The poinsettias sound lovely.

I finally got around to watching The Game Changers! A solid WFPB movie with some familiar faces. It’s another good film geared towards a younger male audience (the erection study gave me a chuckle). Enjoy the rest of your week!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories