MARCH 2021 Maintenance thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MARCH 2021 Maintenance thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 pm

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hi everyone!

The days have slowly been getting longer here in the northern hemisphere, and the spring equinox is just weeks away, bringing with it the changing weather and foliage.

Back in January we discussed resolutions/goals for this year. Now that we are a few months in, how are they going? Have you thrown in the towel on anything? Making incremental improvements?

Also, has anyone gotten the coronavirus vaccine yet? If so, how was your experience?

Our first check-in is this Friday, March 5, 2021. I will be on vacation for the next two weekends, so I will touch base when I get back home.

Stay safe, wash your hands, wear a mask, and eat starch,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: MARCH 2021 Maintenance thread

Postby Starchyme » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:17 pm

Enjoy your vacay, Lyndzie.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 am

Hope you have a lovely vacation Lindsey and well done on your 10 days of 100% compliance! Thanks for sharing the peanut sauce and tortilla bake recipes, they look great! The spring rolls were really good! I made the first batch as per the instructions but used iceberg lettuce instead of cabbage. The wrappers becaome very soggy with the marinated veggies, and hard to handle. Next time I popped the veggies with some fresh mint into the wrapping without marinading them and used the marinade as an extra dipping suace instead.

Erin - I'm with you on the ongoing education and reinforcement :) Your food sounds so yummy! Glad you've been able to get ouside for some walking with your pickle friends.

Re: New Year's goals, I'm still working on them! Have now been alcohol free for over 18 months :) January's McD compliance tracked a little lower than I would have liked but February/March have been better. There's still room for improvement! As usual, there has been a lot of learning going on so I'm counting that as progress ;-) I've been paying attention to off-program eating and what leads up to it - for example, when I get tired in the evenings, feel unwell, overwhelmed, bored or just hungry and without McD items on hand. I've also been challenging my notion of 'magic foods' as treats.....
Last edited by Suey51 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 am

Hi, everyone. I'm still hanging in there. It has been 2 years 3 months since I reached my goal weight. It has become my way of eating for life and so easy to do now. (It did take me over 20 years to finally to become 100% compliant though.) Hail the McDougall's! Happy McDougalling to all of you.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 am

Lindsey, hope you are having a great vacation! Yes the airfried broccoli gets a bit crispy on the top part which seems to give it a different deeper flavour. I watch Chef AJ videos quite a bit, as well as Dr. McDougall. Also Dr. Gregor sometimes. I enjoy Alan Goldhammer as he’s very direct. Mic the vegan has some good videos where he uses science to back up his arguments. That vegan8 dish sounds great I will definitely be making that at some point so thanks for the recommendation.

Sue, nice you have been alcohol free. I went alcohol free at the start of this year and it’s been no issue yet. My 100% dairy free has not been quite so successful a slip this past week when out of the house. I shall try to have that as the one and only slip for this year.

I haven’t been doing too much fancy cooking. I am finding the frozen potatoe/carrot cheese sauce is very handy to top steamed veggies. I eat more this way and enjoy them more so that’s a positive. I watched a Chef AJ video where she makes lemon poppy seed salad dressing. It’s basically just water, dates, lemon juice and poppy seeds. I will make this, but I have to pick up the seeds. I have been eating a lot of nut butter and therefore weigh a bit more right now. I’m not too concerned with that. I will see a chiropractor in about a week and I’m hoping he can figure out my lower back issue and numbness around hip and leg. I’ve never been to a chiropractor, but so far the Physiotherapy isn’t helping much. I need to find a better therapist and I have a recommendation for that. It’s not that I can’t walk or spin, and the pain isn’t intense, but it would be nice to get rid of the issue.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week! :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 am

Erin - good job on the alcohol and dairy goals! One slip in 3 months is still an impressive result. Did you get to see a chiropractor?

Starychme - well done on attaining 100% compliance plus reaching and sticking with your goal weight. You give me hope that I may one day reach 100% compliance!

Lindsey - hope you've had a great vacation!

All is well here. My weight is holding steady about 1 pound above goal. I've been paying attention to the urge to eat later in the evening, and usually realise that I'm not hungry, it's just a habit and the feeling passes after a few minutes. Food has been pretty simple this week, potatoes or rice with veggies, salads, apart from a sweet potato and beetroot curry. Score against the regular program checklist is better this week, but clearly needs to be higher if I am to lose any weight. We have discovered kumquats recently and added those to our mixed fruit salad - so delicious!

Best wishes to all, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:11 am

Sue, nice you discovered new fruit. I need to follow you on the evening eating as it’s still an issue for me. Yes I have seen the chiropractor 3 times. Not yet sure if it’s helping, it’s not a bone issue so he is doing mostly pressure point release around hip and thigh area. He believes I have Meralgia Paresthetica which is quite common. Most people recover so I’m hoping I fit into that category lol. Sleeping is tricky because I completely avoid lying on the right side, then the left side hip gets a bit sore. In the big picture this is not a major health issues so I focus on all my blessings.

Eating for me has been simple. I did make sushi yesterday, I really enjoyed it as I hadn’t had it for a while. I put carrots, purple cabbage, and cucumber in the middle. I have been enjoying oranges and apples lately, although I never did find the sumo ones yet. We are continuing to have very nice spring like weather so it’s been nice to get out and walk with friends I haven’t seen in a while. We ordered ebikes so will get out exploring once those arrive. With Easter coming soon sweet potatoes will be on sale so I plan to stock up on those.

I’ve been listening to an audiobook called Die With Zero. It’s quite interesting as it has caused me to think about spending and saving in a different way. Most important take away for me is to not delay any experiences. Enjoy life as much as possible now. And since I’m retired, lack of time is no longer a factor. Now if the world would open up that would help as more travel is big on the list. :-D

Have a wonderful week.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Plumerias » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 am

Good morning all, and HAPPY SPRING! Okay, maybe not so much yet for Erin, but wow, Mother Nature sure is putting on a show here. Every day more is blooming. DH trimmed the cherry tree the other day and brought the trimmings inside to put into vases, so now we have clouds of white flowers indoors. The mint and thyme are awake and growing. We've used some already. Yum. Gardens are going in here too. Birds are evidencing two-by-two behavior. Saw some crows with nesting materials in their beaks, a couple of wrens carrying on. Lots more birdsong too, which feeds the soul.

I too have a few pandemic pounds to shed. I always have a problem in the winter, but this one has been worse. Sweet Tomatoes used to help me keep that in check, sigh. It's so easy to eat a huge salad when someone else does all the prep, lol. Who wants to make salad when it's cold outside?

We both got our first vaccine doses. It was at the convention center. Geez, I haven't been around that many people since last time we were at Disney! And all the gray hair! To which my husband replied "and not a golf cart in sight!" Erin will get that one. He did fine, I have been feeling crummy for a week now. Sigh, we've decided it would be wise for us to plan in advance, as it is said that the second dose is worse. So we're trying to cook meals that make leftovers for the freezer. And will plan a couple of soups. Then no thinking will be required!
Plumerias

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories