McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Postby Daydream » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:48 am

Sue, I love my Instant Pot and use it every week to make 2 pounds of some type of dried legume and also a big pot of brown basmati rice. My husband and I also like an Instant Pot Veggie Stew by Brand New Vegan. Chuck Underwood is the creator of the Brand New Vegan website. He used to be a member of this forum. Here is that recipe:

https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/i ... eggie-stew
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 am

Sue, I don’t use my pressure cooker too much. I did recently make black beans without soaking them which was handy. My 2 favourite recipes are linked below. The Jaroudi Family Red Lentil Soup. I often add extra veggies and instead of broth use water with a couple bay leaves. I cut back on the amount of potatoes too. The Chef AJ black bean mushroom Chili is excellent also.

Nice to hear from you. I feel the exact same way I’m not quite ready to fully commit to MWL yet. :-D

https://youtu.be/3OIxQDSJhfE

https://youtu.be/e0OKXwJkrIk

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:56 am

Thanks so much Daydream and Erin for the recipe links! They all look very good :-)

We've had a friend staying with us this week which has been great fun. We've been out hiking in the countrsyide three days and strolling around the town for the other two so my exercise stats are looking better :-) However, we've eaten out more than usual and it's not been totally McD compliant. Back to the Instant Pot and closer McD compliance from the weekend!

Best wishes, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:15 am

Daydream wrote:Marsha, I'm here! Congrats on being close to your maintenance weight. It always helps when you find the foods you love. I haven't tried red lentil pasta yet. Do you find red lentil pasta to be more filling than whole wheat pasta?

Hi Daydream, YES to red lentil pasta being very filling and nutritious. I add some to soups. And I'm out now!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:21 am

3/19/22

I appreciate those InstaPot recipe links. I am seriously thinking of replacing my crockpot with one.

Today I'm going to make a new recipe, from my (unused) Wild About Greens book. I need more 'greens' (really helps my old nails, skin and hair). I have only been sauteeing chopped collard greens, so it is time for some creativity! Spring veggies will be here soon in the farmers' market; so looking forward to them.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:51 am

Marsha, I often throw extra greens in a soup or stew that I'm making. It's really easy to do if you buy frozen greens (spinach, kale, collards, etc).
Daydream

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:17 am

Suey51 wrote:Thanks for the recipe Erin, it looks good!

Here's the 10 point checklist for the regular McD Program:

1) Fill your plate so that 70 - 90% of your plate (by visual volume) is filled with minimally processed starches (brown rice, oats, sweet potato, quinoa).
2) Fill the remaining 10 - 30% of your plate with minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables.
3) Eliminate all animal foods (i.e., dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).  
4) Eliminate the intake of fake meats and cheeses as most are highly processed, high fat and made with isolated proteins and oil.
5) Eliminate any added oil.
6) Limit your intake of all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) unless you are trying to gain weight.
7) Limit added sugars and added salts.  This also includes gourmet sugars and salts.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 
8 ) Avoid liquid calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). When thirsty, drink water.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 

Thanks very much for directing me towards this Sue in our chat yesterday. One of my problems is that with knee issues I can't walk fast or do any high impact work (pre lockdown when I was working in London I used the elliptical strider at the gym) so I do get concerned about my lack of cardio. Did a bit of googling though and the "yoga sun salute" is a good cardio exercise. Makes sense I suppose now I think about it, I do a weekly class and definitely feel the effects after a couple of rounds of it - take care Kx
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of daily moderate exercise (i.e., brisk walking).
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Ejeff » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 am

Hello, gosh that month sure seemed to zip on by!

Nothing much new, still haven’t lost the 5 pounds I gained. At least I’m holding steady lol.

If I don’t make changes the scale won’t change either. It’s not like I don’t know what is required. :-D

One thing I’ve noticed is if I eat slower and with more intention the food is that much more enjoyable. Now I just need to stop when full. I haven’t been doing any fancy cooking, I did make the red lentil soup yesterday. I threw in a bag of frozen baby brussel sprouts, nice healthy and yummy addition.

Happy April...looking forward to a month full of sun, greens, and starches.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:51 am

Erin, holding steady is better than gaining weight! I try to slowly chew each bite until it's a liquid before I swallow and that keeps me from eating too quickly. I need be more mindful to stop when I'm full too.
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:15 am

Hello and a happy and blessed Easter to everyone. We will be having a family meal together this weekend, my daughter in law is making a new recipe a soba noodle bowl with peanut sauce. I think it will be very tasty. She will have tofu for the plant eaters and chicken for the others. I offered to bring dessert so I am thinking of a pumpkin chocolate cake.

I’ve not been doing any real cooking lately I tend to eat twice a day and both meals end up as big bowls. I toss in all the veggies and a starch and add my bean dressing. I’ve started to add horseradish to the dressing it’s quite nice. For a sweet treat I’ve been having frozen blueberries slightly defrosted mixed with soy milk, cinnamon, flax and chia.

On the exercise front I’ve been pretty consistent in getting an hour walk or bike ride in everyday. I watched a video which recommended some simple exercises to keep hips and spine mobile so I do those as well. I have a nagging shoulder injury that is very very slowly getting better so I have a daily routine for those exercises as well. I really want to get back into playing Pickleball next month. :-D

I was looking into buying some barley. It’s quite interesting how in the most popular grocery stores you can buy only pot or pearl, not hulled. It just goes to show how strange our food world has become. Why the heck would stores not carry the healthiest version of a grain??? I live in Alberta and I did find a company in British Columbia called fieldstoneorganics. I can buy a 10kg bag for $37.50 plus $36.12 shipping total cost $73.62. Seems a bit crazy to pay almost as much for shipping. So then I checked the cost of pot and pearl in a regular 450gram bag at local store here and it’s $2.49 which is $0.53 per 100grams. If I’ve calculated correctly the 10kg cost works out to be $0.7362 per 100grams. Seems quite reasonable to pay somewhat more for the unprocessed grain imho. I plugged barley into cronometer and 100grams dry is 354 calories so that would be a decent serving for me. I figured if I ate barley twice a week it would last one year. (At 100grams per serving I would get 100 servings.) I would probably have it more often than twice a week. I haven’t yet ordered the big bag because I’m a bit of a procrastinator lol. There is also one local store that sells products from this company so I may buy a smaller bag to start if they carry it. I can’t remember the last time I had hulled barley so I should make sure I like it. Quite certain I will as I seem to prefer anything with more texture. Anyway, that’s my barley research story. I should probably order soon as prices seem to be rising all the time. :shock:

Erin

PS - If anyone can validate my barley calculation that would be appreciated.
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:45 pm

Erin, it's good to hear from you. Enjoy your family meal on Easter!

For exercise, I do a mix of weight lifting, pilates, barre, Essentrics, Yin yoga and neighborhood walks. I used to workout everyday but my motivation to exercise has dwindled in the last couple of years so I struggle with becoming more consistent.

Hulled barley is healthier than pearl barley but I don't like the taste of hulled barley so I buy pearl barley (Bob's Red Mill brand), which I like. I think you should try a small portion of hulled barley and make sure I like it before you order a gigantic bag of it.
Daydream

Postby Suey51 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:10 am

Hello all and Happy Easter!

Sorry I haven't posted here for a while.

Daydream - your mix of exercises sounds great. Like you, I've struggled with consistency the last two years. I'm not currently going to the gym due to the level of Covid infections locally, but I do miss the structure and comaraderie.

Erin - sorry to hear about the shoulder pain and good to hear its improving. Getting back to pickelball must be a strong motivation to do those daily exercises! The maths of that price calc is a little beyond me I'm afraid :eek: I like the hulled barley but found it more different from pearl barley than say wholegrain vs white rice. My husband doesn't like the hulled kind so I tend to buy smaller batches of each. Hope you have a lovely Easter lunch with your family; the food sounds yummy!

Weight-wise I've started a five week weight-loss challenge with a local acquaintance for some extra accountability. We have different goals and strategies to achieve them, but it feels motivating to have a local weight-loss buddy! I'm 5 pounds above goal weight so want to address that but more importantly enjoy the health benefits of closer compliance to the McD Program.

Exercise-wise this week I've been walking, swimming, cycling on a static bike, plus done some resistance band exercises and a little stretching. I had a swimming lesson to work on front crawl technique. I'd like to be able to do more than a few strokes without choking/swallowing vast quantities of water :lol: Oh and does powerwashing the patio count as exercise? It certainly was exhausting :lol:

Best wishes, Sue
Suey51

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:31 am

Daydream wrote:Hulled barley is healthier than pearl barley but I don't like the taste of hulled barley so I buy pearl barley (Bob's Red Mill brand), which I like. I think you should try a small portion of hulled barley and make sure I like it before you order a gigantic bag of it.

There are 3 main types, pearled, hulled and also hulless which is a different variety of barley. The hulless is the one with the strongest taste. I prefer the hulled, which is a whole grain and a milder pleasant flavor.

Hope that helps
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Daydream » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:51 pm

JeffN wrote:There are 3 main types, pearled, hulled and also hulless which is a different variety of barley. The hulless is the one with the strongest taste. I prefer the hulled, which is a whole grain and a milder pleasant flavor.

Hope that helps
Jeff

Jeff, perhaps it was the hulless barley that I didn't like because it I remember it tasted really strong. Out of curiosity, I am going to try the hulled barley again because I would rather eat a whole grain. Thanks for sharing!
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:29 am

Thanks Jeff.

Daydream let us know how you like the hulled barley and I will do the same. Good for you getting in such a nice variety of exercise.

Sue, good luck in your 5 week challenge I’m sure the extra accountability will be helpful. That’s great you are learning to swim better!

Erin
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories