McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Postby JeffN » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 am

Thank you! And Happy New Year to all!

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

If you have an ideas about how you think it may run better, jut let me know by posting here, through a PM, or my email

Be Well
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:32 am

Happy New Year!

Sue, the nut roast sounds delicious do you have a recipe? Our mushroom Wellington was tasty. Next time might be nice to make the filling and put it into a squash to reduce any fat and processed food.

Was not the best nor the worst holiday eating wise for me. Definitely too many sweets and some products with oil. I did try to keep the non feasting meals all compliant. This week made a batch of mushroom black bean Chili. Had that over some The salad dressings I make using navy beans, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, mustard and some hot sauce are very tasty. I always try to include red cabbage in my bowls which I thinly slice with the mandolin.

I browse through all the threads and I think the change for the maximum weight loss is very good. Putting even more focus on the behaviours will be very beneficial I think. I haven’t really ever followed the MWL 100% for a set period of time. I think I might try it for a couple weeks sometime this month. It’s mostly nuts and seeds that I would need to eliminate.

Hope 2022 is a great year for everyone.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:18 am

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks Jeff, will have a think and let you know.

Erin the nut roast recipe is here: Dr Alan Desmond's Epic Nut Roast with Onion Miso Gravy. (It's an Instagram link so let me know whether it works for you!) I omitted the oil and added some egg replacer on the second time of making as the first batch was a little crumbly. Second time around it was still a little crumbly so I'll have ! I'd oinly make this for a special occasion as it has nuts and soy sauce. Do you have a recipe please for the mushroom and black bean chilli please? We have a family gathering in the next 10 days and I've been asked to make a veg chilli. I'm a little bored with my usual recipe so would like to try something new! A MWL challenge sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it goes!

It's day 10 of my 14 day McD reset challenge and weight is down by about a pound. Overall, the food content is much better, but I think I'm still overeating a little on some of the richer plant-based foods. I'm using the Regular Program 10 point tracker and writing down everything I eat which has helped me get back on track in the past.

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:31 am

Sue, thanks for the recipe the link does work for me. I will have to look up the regular program 10 point tracker too. Glad you are getting back on track.

Here is recipe for Chili. It’s very forgiving really. Last batch I made realized I was out of corn so I threw in a bag of frozen broccoli and stirred in some peas at the end. Couldn’t even tell the broccoli was in there lol.

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/b ... oom-chili/

Hope your guests enjoy it.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:01 am

Thanks for the recipe Erin, it looks good!

Here's the 10 point checklist for the regular McD Program:

1) Fill your plate so that 70 - 90% of your plate (by visual volume) is filled with minimally processed starches (brown rice, oats, sweet potato, quinoa).
2) Fill the remaining 10 - 30% of your plate with minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables.
3) Eliminate all animal foods (i.e., dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).  
4) Eliminate the intake of fake meats and cheeses as most are highly processed, high fat and made with isolated proteins and oil.
5) Eliminate any added oil.
6) Limit your intake of all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) unless you are trying to gain weight.
7) Limit added sugars and added salts.  This also includes gourmet sugars and salts.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 
8 ) Avoid liquid calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). When thirsty, drink water.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of daily moderate exercise (i.e., brisk walking).
Last edited by Suey51 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suey51

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 am

Happy New Year! I hope 2022 is better for all of us than 2021 was.

Erin, thank you for the link to the chili recipe! I like that it looks easy to make.
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:12 am

Sue, thanks for the 10 points. I did manage to find them, couldn’t locate them on the website, but did manage to find them in a Facebook group. I thought I could find easily in the How To Begin links, but I gave that search up after a bit. :-D

Daydream, hope you enjoy the Chili. It is very easy and it’s quite different than other chili recipes due to all the mushrooms. A person could batch prep the onions and mushrooms and freeze them. Then it would take about 5 minutes to toss it all into the pot. I have frozen chopped onion before, but not mushrooms. I will try that one of these days. I like to make easy even easier lol.

Erin
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:45 am

Erin, To make it easier, I'll use frozen chopped onions and throw everything in the Instant Pot all at once (including frozen corn) rather than water saute the onions beforehand. I like shortcuts! :-D
Last edited by Daydream on Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am

Not too much new, just eating my starches. This week I made a very delicious pasta sauce just onions and garlic sautéed, then added bit of frozen spinach, mushrooms, roasted peppers, lots of basil and oregano. I usually include tomato paste or sauce, but ran out. This sauce was nice as the flavours of the veggies and spices were more pronounced with less tomato. It was even better the next day. I find a pasta bowl like this with veggies 50% of the dish so satisfying. I also have black olives too.

I’ve been trying to use up some canned goods so made cookies using pumpkin, applesauce and puréed prunes. To the wet I added enough oats until it seemed like the right texture. Added a bit of ground flax and chia. I folded in some toasted walnuts also. Cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin for the spice. So quick to make and have frozen and ready when I want a treat. These are soft cookies. They are a nice change from using banana as a base.

For exercise I’ve been trying to get an hour walk in or a longer bike ride. I could be doing more, but have been on the lazy side.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Erin
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Saturday Jan 29, 2022
Well, January's almost in the books!

Bad news: I spent 1st half of January dealing with acute GI tract distress (felt like shards of glass in the bowel). Has happened 3 or 4 times before, and FINALLY I read and started Dr. McD's elimination diet. Took a week to calm down, but my body likes eating that way. Good news: lost 3 pounds, off the plateau I was on. And I am highly suspicious of (white) wheat products; have eliminated those and felt good. One day I did have an English muffin and GI wasn't happy for a few hours, so those are banished now. I am cautious with the whole wheat pasta but it seems OK.

We have had some blessed sunny days here in the dark, soggy NW, so I have walked a lot. Off soon for another good walk.

I am happy with my menu rotation. Discovered how filling are broccoli & cauliflower; I buy the big bags of frozen vegs. I also enjoy steamed bok choy. Lately I have added some lentils to my vegetable soup, plus some whole wheat pasta. Currently enjoying the Mexican quinoa skillet meal over chopped romaine lettuce. Soon will try red lentil pasta with a lentil 'bologonese' sauce. And daily 2 fruits (pears and apples now) (GI tract requires fruit).
Carry on! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:52 am

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022

Hmm, I am the only one here. Oh well. I am 1.5 lbs away from where I want to Maintain. With a few hacks, I still/will always do MWL guidelines. Lately, I am just loving my veggie soup (loaded with lots of veggies, fresh and frozen, some shelled edamame, plus my new fav red lentil pasta). Very filling, nutritious, easy = Big Wins for me.

I have had to change my food combinations a little (to ease GI tract discomfort); less fiber seems to help.

I also have found that an apple or pear around 2-3pm really satisfies the building hunger.

OK, on to March, Spring, and hopefully a more peaceful world.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Marsha, I'm here! Congrats on being close to your maintenance weight. It always helps when you find the foods you love. I haven't tried red lentil pasta yet. Do you find red lentil pasta to be more filling than whole wheat pasta?
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:05 am

Hi Marsha and Daydream,

I am here too! I always read the various threads so even if I’m not posting I’m around. I have not tried red lentil pasta either, I should at some point.

I haven’t been as active over the winter and I gained a few pounds like 5 or so. I keep thinking about doing MWL, but that’s as far as I get thinking about it. I still weigh myself weekly and I don’t think I will ever stop that. I do need to get my act together because I know from past experience adding 5 pounds can become 10 pounds. I still eat lots of veggies and starches, but some processed junk food with oil has made it into my mouth over the past month or so. I have stopped that as of today. Start of a new month good time to harden my line in the sand so to speak. Quite sure i am eating too many nuts also, but haven’t quite convinced myself to give those up 100%.

This week I had too many onions on hand so I cut up 2 large ones and cooked them with lots of garlic, tomato paste, some frozen spinach and oregano and basil. Had that one day with whole wheat penne pasta. Next day I had it over brocolli. It’s a very filling meal either way. Also been eating a lot of russet potatoes that I microwave and then air fry. The skins are nice and crispy. I use some ketchup mixed with horseradish for dipping or puréed beans with hot sauce.

For a while I was tired of apples so stopped eating them. Now I’ve been enjoying them cut into slices sprinkled with some cinnamon and all spice. So tasty. I don’t remove the core anymore so it’s a fast tasty snack to prepare.

Happy March to everyone!
Erin
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:43 pm

Happy March!

Erin, I know exactly what you mean about how 5 extra pounds could easily turn into 10 extra pounds if you don't take action to prevent that. That's one reason it helps me to eat MWL nearly all the time except for Christmas Eve when I have vegan lasagna made with tofu. I like hearing about what you have been eating lately.

I have been trying out different soup packages made by Anderson House. They don't have salt or oil and are easy to make:

https://www.andersonhousefoods.com/prod ... sort=sales
Daydream

Postby Suey51 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:44 am

Hi Marsha, Daydream and Erin

I'm here too! Sorry for not posting for ages. I've been reading the posts and enjoy hearing about your news and what you've been eating.

Like you Erin, I'm currently 5 pounds over goal weight. I keep losing a pound or so and then gaining it back. I may need to do a period of MWL but am not willing to do that at the moment. My weight often drops a little as the weather gets warmer and we eat more salads. But if not, it'll have to be back to MWL and some more exercise.....

Marsha - an apple or pear about 2-3pm sounds like a good idea. Pleased to hear your GI issues are improving and congrats on being so close to your maintenance goal weight.

After much deliberation, I finally bought an Instant Pot last month and have been enjoying experimenting with it. Have progressed from plain rice, dried beans etc to a bulgur pilaff and pea and celery risotto. I love how easy and quick it is to make to make a risotto and you don't have to stand and stir it :-D

I think one or two of you have Instant Pots - what are your fav things to cook in them?

Sue x
Suey51

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories