Veg cheese

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Veg cheese

Postby Loumelc » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:30 am

I gather vegan cheese is not allowed on this diet as I haven't seen it anywhere in recipes. Is it because it's high in fat or something else? Also what about coconut milk and cream, why is this not part of the diet?
Loumelc

Re: Veg cheese

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:19 pm

Most vegan cheeses are highly processed products. Those that are more natural are high in fat and saturated fat, and also salt. Coconut is high in fat and saturated fat. The clinical studies that showed reversal of heart disease were low fat and excluded these kinds of foods. These foods are also calorie dense, and any excess calories as dietary fat is easily stored as body fat. In nature fat is generally scarce and expensive.

“Fat Vegan” in McDougall Newsletter 2008
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/dec/fat.htm

Starch Solution is starch based diet, with addition of vegetables and fruits. Eat starches, not nuts.

Yesterday made weekly pizza recipe, just whole wheat crust, marinara sauce and toppings, without cheese. Not necessary. Also made macaroni and not cheese for my kids. Not cheese recipe more sauce than hard cheese. Based on carrots and potatoes. One of multiple vegetable sauces I use with pasta. Sauces great for hiding vegetables from kids, and adults.
michaelswarm

Return to How to Begin