Some success but a long ways to go

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Some success but a long ways to go

Postby On The Road » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

Quick history

All my adult life weight has bounce between 350 and real close to 400.
Type 2 diabetic and all that goes with that, on the normal drugs.

Couple years ago I found Dr Mcdougle, bought a couple books, watched a bunch of success videos and read alot of this web site.

Was seriously considering weight loss surgery, instead lost 50 lbs on my own and ran away from that.

Today,

Been back on a semi plan for about 4 months, weight is down to the low 330's, A1C dropped from 11 to 8. Feeling better, looking better. Really feel like I am on the rite track.

Meals

Breakfast: 99.999999 percent of the time is a large bowl of oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, maybe a banana and Almond milk.

Lunch: While at work on the weekdays most of the time is a banana or two, raw yukon gold potato or two. On the drive home I will eat a pound or two of raw carrots and maybe another yukon potato.

Dinner: Weekdays we go out on tuesdays and I have chips and fish tacos. FAIL, but working on it. The other four days it's a burrito or two that consist of Red Kidney beans, onions, peppers, olives, cabbage, tomatoes and some cheese. Working on reducing the cheese, but not so much luck on that rite now.

Weekends are a challenge for sure, family pressures to go out or eat the big family dinner are a struggle. I try to "limit" the bad stuff but usually lose that battle.

So the weight loss is slowly progressing and I am fine with that. I am good if it takes another year to drop another 50 lbs.
What I am more worried about is the Blood Sugar levels, although it has improved the last couple times I have checked it in the morning before meals is 215 / 275.

I am on my feet alot at work and at home most of the time I am fairly active.

Looking for suggestions on the diet, especially during the week, weekends are almost lost cause although I am working on that.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

John
On The Road

Re: Some success but a long ways to go

Postby f1jim » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 pm

You have complete control over your choices, even if you think you don't. A lot of the foods you have trouble shaking are highly addictive. YOu must break that addictive cycle and that's where you have the control. As someone with zero willpower I had to remove these foods from my house completely and not touch them away from home. You must never put yourself in a position of hunger without the healthy stuff at your fingertips. It's all about preparation and executing your game plan. The game plan is simply arranging your life to maximize these things and minimizing the contact with the crap food. When enough time has passed avoiding the garbage foods they will have lost their grip on you. Keep nibbling on them an they will never let go.
This might sound unsurmountable but it's really quite simple. Not always easy but simple. Get past the transition stage and you are home free. Our Journal forum will show you both how to do it right and how to do it wrong. Examples of each will be found. Follow the example of those that make continuous steady progress. It may seem like the road up the mountain is huge but weekly and monthly successes will build your confidence and momentum. We all look forward to seeing your progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Willijan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Just have to tell you, f1jim, I really like this post by you! It explains things so well. It's a good one to remember if I start having trouble.
Willijan

Postby frozenveg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm

I totally agree with Jim in everything he says; my main take is the cheese. Lose the cheese now. You have had enough! It is incredibly addictive. And seductive. Get it out of your life. Trust me—the only 2 things that have tempted me since I achieved my goal were pizza and ice cream. Nope—forget it. No cheese. It might as well be crack. Lose it. Now.

Said with love by one who knows!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Michele613 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Jim, Your reply spoke to me too. I am a newbie. For all of Aug I held the plan and lost 10# of my 40 goal but then 'something' happened and was off for 2 months with my ice coffee, fries and pizza. Am back on now for 4 days and doing ok....cooking is hard for me....I spent hours in kitchen to prepare a few items...time consuming. Your post was very uplifting and I hope that On The Road hangs tough when the temptations get tough. Thanks again.
Michele613

Return to How to Begin