Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget?

Postby marecia_gaston » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Hello all!

I am on a strict budget (around $50-$60 for groceries every 2 weeks). I'd like to get a better idea of what others (who are a similarly
restricted) buy on their grocery trips. I've reviewed the meal prep and I have some of the items but I am not sure if I can afford to have such a high variety. Would it hurt me if I often eat nearly the same things? I'm sure I'll switch it up a bit but I am mostly concerned with getting well rounded meals. Any suggestions? Also, I am already vegan but I eat like a college kid. :-P

Thanks so much for any help!

Marecia
marecia_gaston

Re: Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget?

Postby calvin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Even at $60/14days, that's only ~$4.29/day. It's not so much what you can buy on that budget, but what you can't. For instance. there will be no nuts, seeds, etc. nor the butters of them, no avocados, no store-bought hummus, no store-bought plant milks. You will probably have to opt for the GMO products rather than the non-GMO, the inorganic rather than the organic, the bulk-bin items rather than packaged, tap water rather than bottled, etc. You will not be cooking with a lot of spices nor experimenting with overpriced supplements. The vast majority of packaged goods? - no.

You will have to live in a big city to be successful.

It goes without saying you will not be eating out, nor ordering in, nor shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or even WalMart, nor at urban "farmer's markets". You will not be growing your own in an urban back yard either - home grown veggie gardening ain't cheap.

At the end of my first year of keeping track, being uber compliant, I spent ~$4.80/day and that was a little over 2years ago, in L.A. area, buying grains, beans, popcorn, etc. in 25lb or 50lb bags, and baking my own bread. That cannot be done today. I have the receipts and the spreadsheet to support my results.

These middle/upper class women out there who are writing books claiming $4/day or $5/day are lying and were lying even back when they were published, not that long ago. You got that, folks? Yes, I'm calling B.S on that. You can only maybe eat that inexpensively on a very short term basis; it is not sustainable and therefore the claims are unrealisic. Hell, I just went for $0.00/day for 4 days...yeah, I did an unsupervised 4day water-only fast. :roll:

The good news is that if, and I do say IF, you can eat on $4.29/day, or as close to it as possible, and remain satiated, you WILL be eating very healthily.

If I'm wrong, be interested to know how you do it.
calvin

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Have you familiarized yourself with Amy Dacyczyn of Tightwad Gazette fame? Get her book, and follow her thought patterns. They will not steer you wrong!

Mostly, she thinks along the lines of pricing out some meals that you like, and eating the ones that are on the cheap end, more often than the ones that are on the more expensive end.

Also, base your meals around ingredients that are the most affordable, and cook from scratch rather than buy packaged crap. Also, make substitutions all over the place, to favor inexpensive ingredients. Why eat jasmine rice, when un-fancy rice will do just fine? Why use pricier starches when you can get a sack of potatoes for pennies?

Most people aren't willing to do the work of figuring out the recipes and the portions and the methods that can help them eat for pennies and enjoy their food tremendously. But if you ARE willing to do the work, you will reap the rewards!

Personally, I LOVE beans and lentils and think these taste delicious cooked from scratch. I cook with normal yellow onions, and simple, cheap spices, like oregano, or like chili powder. I think that if I wanted to save money on food, I would eat more of the inexpensive meals, and drink more water between meals.

Above all, do you know the phrase:
What gets' measured, gets done.

Basically, if you want to get your grocery expenses way down, keep track of how much you are spending per meal. How much did you spend on 1/3 of a bag of lentils and one onion? And price out the sides -- your carrots, your apples, your whatever. Once you've got a sense of accomplishment about having two or three super-duper inexpensive and satisfying meals, move on to develop two or three more, and cycle them in. Easy, right?

To figure out how to put meals together, read Dr McDougall's recommendations and Jeff Novick's guidelines.

There are no shortcuts, but hopefully you think your health is worth it! :)
roundcoconut

Postby Willijan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:44 pm

marecia_gaston wrote:Hello all!

I am on a strict budget (around $50-$60 for groceries every 2 weeks). I'd like to get a better idea of what others (who are a similarly
restricted) buy on their grocery trips. I've reviewed the meal prep and I have some of the items but I am not sure if I can afford to have such a high variety. Would it hurt me if I often eat nearly the same things? I'm sure I'll switch it up a bit but I am mostly concerned with getting well rounded meals. Any suggestions? Also, I am already vegan but I eat like a college kid. :-P

Thanks so much for any help!

Marecia

No, it will not hurt you if you "often eat nearly the same things." In one of Dr. McD's videos he says his physician son asked him, "Why don't you just tell them to eat sweet potatoes and broccoli?" I assume Dr. McDougall meant this as an example of how simple the program can be. You can just choose one starch and one non-starchy vegetable, perhaps one fruit, and you'll be fine. With the caveat that if your starch doesn't have a fairly large amount of vitamin C (as in potatoes), you must make sure you get it in your non-starchy vegetable.
You can just eat "rice and a few vegetables", quoting Dr. McD from memory again. Or oatmeal and vegetables. Or whatever is cheap that week.
One of the things that got Dr. McDougall started on this program was watching his Japanese patients in Hawaii eat "rice and a few vegetables" with stellar health results.
Willijan

Postby calvin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm

calvin

Postby soulnurturer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 am

Forgive me, but I don't understand the question. This way of eating is the cheapest diet on the planet so we automatically eat "on a budget" because the bulk of our meals are starches which are cheap. You can't get cheaper than rice, potatoes (I got a 10lb bag of red potatoes for $2 this week), beans, corn, oatmeal.... and for the veggie part of your plate you can buy a big bag of carrots (carrots are cheap and last a long time), no name frozen peas or other frozen veggies since frozen is usually cheaper than fresh and if they're on sale, stock up because they won't go bad in your freezer. Bananas are a cheap fruit and filling so are apples usually, especially in season, or oranges - depending where you live. Um... what else? Oh... what I do is I look at my local flyers and whatever fruit/veg is on sale that week and/or in season, that's what I eat for that week. I also buy in bulk so a bag of potatoes is cheaper than buying them individually by the pound. A big bag of rice is cheaper than a small box. etc.
Jesus blesses everything I eat and drink and takes sickness away from my midst.
(Exodus 23:25)
soulnurturer

Postby f1jim » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Exactly!!!! This is certainly the budget conscious persons diet. NOTHING is cheaper than potatoes, beans, rice, etc. You will be filled and nourished on this plan. A small amount of green or yellow veggies or some fruit will complete the diet.
Welcome to frugal eating central.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to How to Begin