New here - 30/m/UK - critically low weight (Suspect NAFLD)

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New here - 30/m/UK - critically low weight (Suspect NAFLD)

Postby PowerPlant » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi there McDougaller's,

I often ask people - have you been McDougall'd? ;)

Anyway, I finally got around to registering here. I've been so unwell for so long... despite trying to be mostly vegan, I was 'doing it wrong' - I was still cheating a lot, still eating a lot of fats. Dark Chocolate, nuts, seeds, with all manner of digestive problems. I was not getting enough calories or enough starch!

I believe over time I developed NAFLD through binge eating on pizzas, cookies, other baked goods and crap...but it's not being detected by tests. I have symptoms of IBD and 'IBS'. Headaches and a lot of dental issues (naturally)

Right now: I was feeling pretty OK just an hour ago, but simply eating a banana has (Seemingly) caused veins in my head to swell and brain fog to hit epic levels. I'm trying so hard not to comfort eat a bowl of oatmeal so late at night, but another part of me says: listen to your body.

I've had my first dietary slip ups in a month of staying clean - it was with honey roast parsnips my parents put on the table at dinner. Usually I don't even get tempted, but I had a few roast potatoes that had lightly been roasted in olive oil, figured that won't kill me - but the parsnips had palm oil. That's always been a no no for me. One turned into three, and though I felt fine, it probably didn't help. I'm confident I can get back to business tomorrow. My dietician wants me on a McDougall style mono meal potato diet but I cannot cope psychologically with it due to my lack of sleep. I'm trying to explain it to her but she's quite strong willed...

She has me juicing and I am not sure it's the best thing for an ulcer (doesn't veg fiber sooth and help ulcers?)

Anyway...

I'd like to make friends here.. I'm so stuck. If I can't get into a routine of healing here, and gain some weight, I want to try get on the 10 day program, but I am going to have to start some kind of go fund me for that...and get well enough to travel. My friends are pushing me to do that, the few that I have, so maybe I will at some point.

I came here to network and find support, as my family completely don't understand this. I am sure you guys do. The victims of the standard western diet are getting younger and younger and I have to watch my niece going down the same road. But together I think we can rebuild - and be like the Barley men of old ;)

A few Questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with nocturia / night time peeing ? So far suspected the combination of poor liver function (Amonia) with a problem processing Sulfur

2. I have pretty bad Ascites, which shockingly doctors utterly ignore because of my slim frame. I have terrible varicose veins all around my abdomen where it's so stretched. Is this going hand in hand with the liver health?

3. Does anyone know if the McDougall clinic provides fibroscans or something that will detect NAFLD? If so I may save my money towards the program rather than giving it to consultants here. The NHS are refusing it to me, which is frankly criminal but that's another story..
PowerPlant

Re: New here - 30/m/UK - critically low weight (Suspect NAFL

Postby pundit999 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi PowerPlant:
Welcome aboard.

I think you are worrying too much.
Relax and just follow the regular program since you don't have any weight to lose (you can eat high calorie whole foods in moderation: such as tofu, nuts, avocado etc)
You may want to get it checked out but it does not sound like you have the no alcohol fatty liver. Even if you did, if you eat a whole plants only diet you should be able to resolve it quickly.

Just eats lots of starches with some greens and yellow veggies and one or two fruits daily.

This is a very effective plan but it is very simple at the same time.

Have faith that if you give it the time, it will work wonderfully.
pundit999

Re: New here - 30/m/UK - critically low weight (Suspect NAFL

Postby Nean » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:12 am

So I see you have a total of one post. How are you doing now? I don't get the can't do the potatoes due to lack of sleep :shock: Hope you're settling down to a starch based plan.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Return to How to Begin