Future success story

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Future success story

Postby Theswede » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 am

Hi all,

First, thanks for this great forum, there are so many interesting threads and comments that I'd need a week off work to be able to delve as deep as I'd like.

I am a Male, born and raised in Sweden, 37 years old, 191cm (ca 6"3) with an unfortunate weight of around 118kg (260lbs).
No health issues as far as I'm aware, very rarely sick, and generally feel quite well, apart from the fact that I really dont feel happy with my body.

I started doing some research into nutrition a few years back, and quit all meats about 3 years ago in order to become even more healthy. In my naive mind I honestly thought it to be OK with just always ordering the vegetarian alternative, to buy the "very healthy" vegetarian sausages/burgers/steaks and just be done with that. In addition, daily consumption of cheese, plus frequent consumption of eggs, cream and butter has made me worse off than when I also had meat.

I did some more intense research into nutrition and stumbled across several of the great people that you have in the US - Dr McDougall, Dr Fuhrmann, Dr Greger etc. The message is as clear as it is simple - Whole Foods, Vegan, Plants, Low fat.

I bought the Starch Solution and started the program about two weeks ago now, and on the plus side I sleep better, have more energy and feel a bit more clear in my head during the day. Plus about 5lbs lost which probably is water.

I am in a lucky situation to be working from home 3 weeks per month, so meal planning will be no issues there. The one week travelling to our customers, seminars, fairs etc will surely prove VERY difficult, but when I decide on something the willpower is strong enough to deal with it.

However, since I started I experience horrible bloating and gas, not everyday, but frequent enough to be a great annoyance. I hope that my body will adapt, but if any of you have any advice, I'd be very happy to hear it.

I'll post my meals from the last two days:

B: Oatmeal cooked in 50% water & 50% unsweetend almond milk. With blueberries and banana.
L: Mashed potatoes with some spinach, onions and mushrooms.
D: Homemade pizza - Tomato sauce, mushrooms, corn and onions.

B: Oatmeal cooked in 50% water & 50% unsweetend almond milk. With blueberries and banana.
L: Brown Rice with black beans, corn and some spinach
D: 3 slices of bread with some strawberry marmelade

Today I had the same breakfast as ever, dinner will be brown rice with some kidneybeans and broccoli, and for tonight I thought about just having some fried potatoes (no oil obviously) with some zucchini and bellpepper.

I read many of your wonderful inspirational stories and I really hope that I can be a future one too.
Currently my exercise consists of a short daily walk (2-3 miles), some light dumbell training and 2 days of boxing per week. I have understood that weight is lost in the kitchen, but I hope that with more added exercise I'll see faster results.

If you managed to read until here, thank you :)

A
Theswede

Re: Future success story

Postby viv » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi Swede, Welcome and many congratulations on finding Dr. McDougall and the Starch Solution. You are on your way to living your healthiest life, looking and feeling great! Many of us have had issues with bloating and gas initially as we adjust to a high fiber diet. Sometimes there is a particular food trigger that causes it. I know for me I love onions but they don't love me and I have to avoid them to prevent bloating and gas. Also I love sweet potatoes but I don't have many of them for the same reason. It takes time to adjust as your body heals from the inside out, be patient because the outcome is well worth it.

If you do a search on "bloating" in the top right hand search box over 1,000 replies come up, so happy reading!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Re: Future success story

Postby Theswede » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:27 am

Thanks Viv.

4 weeks today, and things are much better. No more bloating, energy levels high, and already 7kg's down (15lbs).
That's even though I'm doing frequent weights and boxing which have already resulted in some more lean mass. So I am very very happy indeed.

Great forum this, so much information and some brilliant tasty recipies too :D
Theswede

Return to How to Begin