Newbie needs help with getting started.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Newbie needs help with getting started.

Postby Dogma3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Help please!!

I am new to this forum and need some help. First let me tell everyone a little about myself. I have been a vegetarian for 31 years and in that time I have seen my weight top 400 lbs. On December 1st of 1999 I stepped on the scale and decided enough was enough and lost over 250 lbs. in a year and a half. I won't get into any more details about the weightloss, but I have keep all of my weight off for almost 20 years while never going back to meat. I only weigh 110 lbs. now, so weight isn't the issue. I am a junk food junkie and a major sugar addict and need some help. I want to go strictly plant based and healthy. I have spent the last fourteen years taking care of my dad who had a Traumatic Brain Injury and then on June 1st of 2017 he was diagnosed with Terminal Stage 4 (end stage) Stomach Cancer. My dad, who I loved so much passed away on November 1st, 2018. Even though I loved him so much and thank God for having him in my life for all of my 50 years, the stress of taking care of him has taken it's toll on my health. Six years ago I was diagnosed with Chrohns' Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. It is so severe now that I am considered medically disabled by the government. I don't want to die at a young age like my dad did. I turned 50 last October and want to live a whole lot longer. I am seeing a new Gastroenterologist on March 14th and then will hopefully get a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. I know that something is very seriously wrong with my body. Weird things are happening like my hair has changed texture, I am developing hives from a lot of foods ( I have been in anaphylactic shock three times in my life from Shrimp-before I became a vegetarian). When I found about Dr. McDougall I felt like a weight had been lifted. Now I need guidance from people who have done this program before.

I need to start on the Elimination Diet to determine what foods I am allergic to. Where I should begin? Also what book is best to begin with? I have to say that I don't have a lot of money because I haven't been able to work. I have a hard time functioning throughout the day. I am so physically exhausted. Even though I have had Chrohns' for six years, I have never been as sick as I have been over the last month. So friends, any help and advice would be appreciated. It's a plant based life for me and I want to start heading in the right direction.

Thanks for any advice I can get.
Dogma3

Re: Newbie needs help with getting started.

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Welcome Dogma! Here is some information you might find helpful:

For people on the SAD, and those wanting to do this in steps, the single most important thing they need to do first, is to go on one of the “regular” WFPB programs and follow the basic general principles as just getting off of the SAD die helps many. Just getting rid of oils, dairy, animal products and highly processed foods and most sugar and salt, solves the problem for many. By doing this, one can also eliminate most all the known allergens that account for 90% of reactions. These are Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans. So, out of these 8, 4 are eliminated right away (milk, eggs, fish, shellfish) and the next, 2 are also greatly limited or eliminated (Tree nuts, peanuts, soy). And, if there is any specific food they know they react to (i.e., strawberries, oranges, etc) or suspect, they can leave those out too. The interesting thing is that when they do this, many of them will see not only their primary issue clear up but also so many other related problems will also clear up, even allergies and immune related issues. For those who want to do the elimination diet or think they need to, I also think this maybe the best first step to start with and to continue it for at least a week to several weeks to see how much "stuff" will clear up.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48950#p503732

Hopefully this will give you a jumping off point. Best to you!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Newbie needs help with getting started.

Postby Dogma3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Thank you Lyndzie for replying. This is all so confusing but your post really put things in perspective for me. Going slowly has always worked better for me and that's what I am going to do. Starting with eliminating dairy, eggs, soy, and nuts. I am purchasing The Starch Solution and The Healthiest Diet On The Planet on Amazon today. I love this discussion board and knowing that other people have been through the same thing is so helpful. Thanks you again for reading my post.

Dog lover and dog mom of three sweet babies-Dogma.
Dogma3

Return to How to Begin