Januvia

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Januvia

Postby joano » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 am

I read that I could stop my Januvia and possibly BP meds when beginning the 10 day program but under the supervision of a physician. Unfortunately I do not have an MD that is willing to help me with this. My life got more complicated in early April when I had a mild stroke and was given even more medications than meds for HPN and DM. I now have more BP meds, Plavix, ASA and Lipitor. I had been dabbling with a WFPB diet since last Sept., not always perfectly and slipped off many times for weeks on end. But I had successfully started bringing my cholesterol down from 250-220, although my triglycerides went up, and my FBS were around 115-125 for the first time in a long while. Now with the addition of these added meds I can't control my blood sugars although my BP is getting better. I also have been having some memory problems, atypical chest pains (for which I just finished a 15 day monitor test), and ringing in my ears. I believe many of these symptoms are from the medications I have been put on. I am now very motivated to getting this way of eating and exercise down pat and to continue throughout my remaining years (I'm 71) but finding someone that is willing to follow me and take me off some meds is proving to be non-existent. I know I can just stop some of them but the thought that I had a stroke makes that daunting. I have also started trying to walk everyday. And yes I am overweight by at least 20 pounds if not 30. But that too has been climbing up in the past month in spite of my attempts to get healthier.

What am I to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
joano

Re: Januvia

Postby michaelswarm » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm

You might try looking for some kind of telemedicine.
Where are you located?
There are at least a few whole food plant based doctors licensed in a handful of states.
I also believe that both Dr Lim and Jeff Novick RD do phone consultations.
You could arm yourself with enough information and questions to partner with a reluctant local doctor.
michaelswarm

Postby joano » Thu May 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I live in Cleveland, Ohio and I know about Dr. Esselstyn at the Cleveland Clinic but I don't believe he is taking new patients however I intend to look into that. I will look up the two names you have given me.
joano

Postby michaelswarm » Fri May 22, 2020 12:21 pm

You might also try Plant Based Telehealth
https://plantbasedtelehealth.com/
They have been expanding their telemedicine coverage. Started by Dr Marbas, a colleague of Dr Furhman, who has been practicing telemedicine for years now. She also has a podcast and edits the new Journal of Disease Prevention and Reversal, published by the Plantrician Project. Looks like Ohio is on the coverage map for their licensed physicians.

You might also research Dr. Kristin Kaelber WFPB (University Hospital Connor Integrative Health Network, Warrensville Heights)
https://fox8.com/2020/01/23/local-woman ... lifestyle/
michaelswarm

Postby joano » Mon May 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Thank you Michael Swarm!
joano

Return to How to Begin