Non toxic dish ware and food storage containers

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Non toxic dish ware and food storage containers

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Best non toxic dish ware and food storage containers
Alycia 123

Re: Non toxic dish ware and food storage containers

Postby curcubit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 am

Hi Alicia,

I use wide mouth mason jars: 1/2 gallon, quart and two pint sizes for almost everything! So simple and easy.
I decant my dried beans and grains into them for pantry storage. Leftovers go into the best sized fit for the fridge.
I even freeze food in them. If liquid like soup you need to leave enough head space to avoid expansion cracks, and that does rarely happen in which case I through everything away to avoid any potential of ingesting a glass shard.

Another beauty of wide mouth mason jars is you can make oil free salad dressings/sauces directly in the jar using an immersion blender. I have even made oil free hummus/bean dips in a wide mouth mason jar with the turbo settign on my immersion blender. So not alot of clean up. I also have a set of three nested stainless steel square pans with plastic lids in which I store leftovers that cannot be poured (casseroles,etc). I got them years ago, but this is similiar https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Storag ... 103&sr=8-4

I also invested in re-usable silicon zip locks of various sizes. Plus having a canning jar funnel for filling your mason jars is really helpful. I find the mason jars, being uniform along their cross section makes storage in the fridge easy..as they pack well together (unlike recycled food jars of various sizes). Plus see through, so easy to see what you have.
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Return to How to Begin