Greetings.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Greetings.

Postby banana » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am

I have been lurking around these boards for a little while now, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Let's see: So, I have been a vegan for approximately 1.5 years, and a vegetarian for several years before that. I found the Dr. McDougall website in an attempt to eat more healthily. I would say I eat a moderately healthy, though high-fat vegan diet---mainly because I consumed large amounts of tofu, nuts, and other high fat vegan foods. I also cook using lots of oil. Honestly, it's never occured to me that this wasn't healthy.

I don't have a weight problem. I am thin, in fact. However, eating high fat leaves me feeling like crap a lot of the time, so I decided to give this a shot, but I wouldn't say I am following a strict eating plan by any stretch of the imagination.

I love to bake, however, and have stoppped using oil. I have stopped sauteeing in oil, and have generally tried to avoid oil, period. I have also cut down on high-fat vegan foods, and have stopped eating altogether the deep fried crap to which I have become accustomed. I ate a lot of whole foods before, so I am not changing so much what I eat as much as how I prepare it. I have been surprised by this foray into no-oil cooking; the results are surprisingly good, and I feel a lot better.

I have been doing this about a month now, with some immediate and obvious results. My skin is much, much less oily, and generally I feel much better. I probably eat too much sugar/flour to get the full benefits, but I have still noticed improvements.

I am a male, in my early 30's, and that's about it. I am sort of doing this whole McDougall thing "in the closet"---that is to say, I haven't really discussed this at all with anyone, and have just made changes without anyone noticing; mainly, I don't want my family and friends to think I am 1. trying to lose weight or 2. become a "health nut." I would definitely not describe myself that way; besides, it's not "nutty" to like feeling good.

Sorry for the exhaustive intro...
banana

Welcome!

Postby S B » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm

You do not have to be a health nut to be healthy and feel good!

I am a total McDer but I do not consider myself to be a health-nut! There are a LOT of weird food extracts, supplements, and things that "Certified Health Nuts" :D think are necessary to consume in order to be healthy that I NEVER eat/take and DO NOT EVER plan on eating/taking!

I simply eat a healthy version of a vegan-type diet and get some exercise. I think this is a very COMMON SENSE way to be healthy!

I think cutting out the "free oils" is the MOST important thing in making a vegan diet healthier. Some high fat whole foods ARE allowed in McDing -- especially if you are not overweight. Plus, those who are not overweight can have McD-legal desserts (which are for special treats NOT main courses), now and then, too. So, it sounds like you are off to a GREAT start!

Also, isolated protein (in some fake meat products) is another thing you want to cut out or, at least, cut back on (if you have not, already). In addition, you want to keep your total protein intake (from all sources) in the range of 7 to 15 percent of your total calories (NO HIGHER!) -- but it is NOT necessary for you to precisely measure, weigh, and calculate the calories in everything you eat -- just keep this limit in the back of your mind and do not overeat high protein foods like beans. (Carbs -- mostly from whole starchy foods -- should ramge between 75 and 90 percent of total calories and fats should be less than 10 percent.)

I wish you much success with McDing!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby banana » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:47 am

I guess I should have mentioned that I did buy a Mcdougall book (one of the cookbooks), and am very familiar now with all the principles. My plan is to McDougall as much of the time as possible, without being fanatical about it.

I made the health-nut comment as a joke because I of my thin-ness. If my friends knew I was following a "diet," they'd think I'd lost my mind. Of course it's simply smart to eat healthily and exercise, etc.
banana

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:04 am

Well you can always tell your friends that you have made a lifestyle change, because that is what McDougall is. :-D
Alot of us here know what it is like when family and friends start to question what you are doing, we actually share stories sometimes, it is quite funny what some people will ask or say to you re: McDougalling. :?

Glad to have you here. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to How to Begin