Can I eat all I want and lose??

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can I eat all I want and lose??

Postby marybeth0051 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Just wondering...can you really eat all you want until satisfied and still lose weight??
marybeth0051

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:38 pm

For most people, yes. If you have trouble losing weight on the regular plan, you might have to switch to the Maximum Weight Loss plan (MWL) which restricts you a bit further. On MWL, you will not eat pasta or bread, and never peanut butter or other nuts or avocados or coconut.

I have been doing the regular 12 day plan for almost 4 years, and stopped losing weight after about 10 pounds or so. I also occasionally cheated with peanut butter and other things. Now that I'm staying with the MWL guidelines I lose about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week, eating all I want. I make sure to eat a big bowl of shredded salad (mostly cabbage) for lunch or mid morning snack, and any other time I'm hungry, then eat my main starch for the meal. Before, I was filling up on the starches and I just didn't lose weight.

I hope you are successful on this! I love it for all the other benefits, the weight loss is just another plus.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Karen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:41 pm

I eat all I want, many times a day, and am still losing, about 1.3 pounds per week on average.

I am following, mostly, the MWL. I do cheat, but never eat meat.

I probably eat someting every 2 hours or so.
Karen

Welcome!

Postby S B » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Most people can eat until they are satisfied (not stuffed!) and lose weight on the Regular McDougall Program (12-Day).

However, some people need to follow MWL (the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss). It does NOT allow the small amount of high fat foods that are SOMETIMES allowed on the Regular Program, does NOT allow foods made from flour (even whole grain flour), and has a little MORE green and yellow veggies than most eat on the Regular Program. However, it is STILL a STARCH-BASED diet with the starches in the form of whole grains cooked whole and starchy veggies rather than highly processed and refined foods.

A very few people (especially odd balls like me :D) have trouble losing the last part of their excess weight -- even on the MWL plan -- because we have volume eating tendencies. This means we tend to eat extremely fast and therefore can eat several plates of food in one sitting -- without realizing that we have done so! This means we have to add some special strategies to the MWL plan to make it work. For more information on this see the Nov. 2005 McDougall Newsletter Article on this at http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... 100vol.htm

I wish you much success!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Return to How to Begin