Heart Rate Wristbands -- any good, recommendations?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Heart Rate Wristbands -- any good, recommendations?

Postby Skip » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:57 pm

I decided to buy myself a gift that I don't really need but I feel like I deserve. I got the top of the line Polar V800 which is designed for triathletes. It has an amazing amount of data that can be captured and analyzed for running, biking, swimming and more. It supposed to be able to measure your VO2 Max as well as tell you when you are over or undertraining ( I assume this is based on HR variablity)....more to follow after I use for a while....

What ever you buy, check out this website to buy from, they are very knowledgeable on their products:
http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/col ... 5396145411

The aforementioned Polar 400 does not have the ability to track heart rate while swimming.
The aforementioned Polar 300 does not have GPS, but it does have heart rate monitoring while swimming.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby sharonbikes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 pm

I am a HUGE fan of Polar products - I yearned for the V800, but just couldn't justify the cost - I do have the Polar A300 (the only other one they had that I can get heart rate on in the pool) and also the bike computer. I hope you love your V800!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Skip » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks Sharon.......I am very impressed with the V800 so far, especially in the pool....
When you add the price of the M450 and A300, you are getting closer to the V800 price....
I got a good deal from : http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/col ... 1311703174 You can get just under 10% off of the list price by purchasing their VIP membership which cost me around $6 (which then saved me $35)

Regarding the swimming stat, I quote from the above link:

Swimming metrics available with Pool swimming profile

The wait is over – swimming metrics is now available in the Pool swimming profile in Polar V800! You can add the pool swimming profile to your sports list in Flow. Swimming metrics lets you analyze each swimming session and monitor your performance in the long run. When using the Pool swimming profile V800 measures your time, distance and speed, counts strokes per minute, gives you a SWOLF score and identifies your swimming style during your session. You’ll also get heart rate information and accurate calorie consumption if you wear a H7 heart rate sensor. Afterwards you can analyze each part of the session based on your swimming style and view duration of rest periods in Flow. Swimming metrics works at its best with adult swimmers whose technique is at a sufficient level.
Skip

Postby sharonbikes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:48 pm

I did the cost analysis of buying both v buying the V800 and by combining a variety of deals, buying both was much cheaper. But, now I see the hrmusa has dropped the price on the V800 and I get the member discount , I am very tempted. Very, very tempted. Hmm. Thanks for the great review!
sharonbikes

Postby Skip » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:18 pm

The Polar V800 has some interesting tests that you can run to judge your recovery from working out. One is called an orthostatic test which give you heart rates and heart rate variability readings (rMSSD) when sitting down and standing up. This is supposed to tell you when you can go hard that day or back off from exercise as many athletes want to push it always.

You can do the orthostatic test without any device. Simply subtract your heart rate when stand up vs lying down in the morning. For me the difference is about 5 beats per minute. When this difference becomes larger, that is a sign that your are under stress and might consider backing down the effort level for that day. I'm not sure how proven or sure that this method is in the scientific community.

In general, if your resting heart rate is going up vs your average resting heart rate (taken at the same time under the same conditions, e.g. in the morning in bed just after awaking) that is a sign of stress.
Last edited by Skip on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Postby Skip » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:06 am

If your looking to save some money and you have a smartphone ...............

I usually run with a smart phone because I listen to music plus it's comforting to have a phone with me.

You can purchase a heart rate transmitter (I"m thinking of the Polar H7 which straps around your chest) for around $70 and then you can pair it up (with bluetooth) to a free app on your smartphone (I'm thinking Polar Beat). Since your cell phone already has GPS, the Polar Beat program can then display and record your heart rate, your pace, your time, and even record your route. There are other apps that could do the same thing (I'm thinking of an app called Map My Run)

Of course, this option will not work when swimming :mrgreen:

If your looking for accurate heart rate monitoring, Polar is a great option....
Skip

Postby geo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 pm

OK I've spent a good long time getting my head wrapped around all these new tools from digital 3d axis pedometers, to "smart" watches and "fitness" trackers and HRM's in straps or wrist bands/watches, etc...and now I'm ready to buy...

In the past I loved using these digital 3D axis pedometers because they were so easy to use (just throw them in any pocket at any orientation) and very accurate and inexpensive. The one I liked the best was this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P03P11A/re ... UTF8&psc=1 and thats simply because it will measure steps walking, running and step climbing! So you can keep seperate tracking of each type of movement and at $20 you can't go wrong.

Now their are smart watches/fitness trackers that will do similar things and much more using the same digital tech, like keeping track of how long you sit and remind you to get up and move and measure your movement when you sleep to rate how well your sleeping pattern is and so on. Neat, but a bit more expensive and many folks complain about the wristbands being uncomfortable for long term wearing and such. But for double to triple the price of a pedometer they are probably worth it.

Then you have those smart wtaches/fitness trackers that also have a built in optical HRM as well which can do all sorts of neat things as well. However, the optical HRM's can have their own issues such as poor contact with your skin when arms are moving about, to slightly less accuracy to ECG type measurements due to the algorithmic calculations they have to make since they are making less direct measurements of HR (this is also why virtually none of the optical HRM's can properly measure RR's and HRV. They simply average and smooth the data curves too much to get the extra fine details for accurate HRV's. Now I believe the polar 800 claims they can do RR/HRV measurements accurately but thats a very expensive device at almost $400.

So finally we come to HRM straps, these are real ecg type measurement tools in that they measure the direct electrical activity from your heart. They are by far the most accurrate for measuring HR and some will also do RR and HRV measurements very accurately. However they don't directly count steps or particular movement, but some are waterproof. But they can also suffer from the same type of skin contact disconnects that wristwatch HRM's suffer from, but not nearly so badly as your body doesn't move nearly so violently as your arms do during hard training. But some folks don't find the chest straps all that comfortable either.

So my question to myself was what was I trying to use these devices for? My answer is I wanted to measure my level of fitness as directly as possible and with greatest accuracy and be able to measure stress levels more accurately (or at least what the science may say is possibly more accurate). Fitness trackers and pedometers are simply indirect measures of fitness, they dont really tell you what your heart is doing directly or if your working to hard or not hard enough. So that pretty much decided me on HRM straps as being the most direct and accurate measure possible, especially those that are accurate enough to present ecg type data with microsecond RR's and accurate HRV timings. The other great advantage to the straps is that the HRM can be kept quite small and light and cheap. All they do is record the data and send it off to your blue tooth device like a smart phone. This allows you to also use features from your smart phone such as GPS and gravity sensors and such to be able to massage the data and provide all sorts of charts and graphs of your activities both direct and indirect and provide you a choice of a ton of apps/software to do this with. Generally more than you can get from a wrist watch/strap tracker/HRM. And since most probably already have a smartphone these days, the cost would be relatively cheap for the accuracy and data that can be generated from a smartphone/HRM strap combination.

That significantly cut down my choices to pretty much 3 HRM straps that were readily available (via amazon). TICKRX for $99, Polar H7
for $50 or a Sigma Sport R1 for $39. All claim to provide accurate microsecond RR's and accurate HRV's. They all claimed to be waterproof, not just water resistant. All were bluetooth 4.0 capable and the TICKRX also was ant+ compatible. After tons of reviews, some from researchers/experts, it appears that the best HRM strap in terms of accuracy and usability was the Polar H7. It surprised me how many groups of tester's used this device as the standard for testing purposes (even consumers reports does this). And it also seemed to be compatible with the widest variety of free/pay apps on Android and IOS.

So bottom line, I've pretty much decided to get the Polar H7 strap for my training purposes. Anyone else have other suggestions?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Previous

Return to Exercise and Fitness