Questioning the resistance/aerobic dichotomy

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Questioning the resistance/aerobic dichotomy

Postby geo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:58 am

In the exercise world there seemingly has always been a dichotomy of what exercise is best for what effect/outcome. Typically running/cycling/etc has been labeled as aerobic/cardiovascular exercise. While weight lifting has been considered resistance excercise specifically for strength/muscular hypertrophy. But is this dichotomy of types of exercise and their effects true?

This article asks and gives some hints as to whether this dichotomy need exit or is even correct: http://www.degruyter.com/dg/viewarticle ... 4-0119.xml
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Questioning the resistance/aerobic dichotomy

Postby sharonbikes » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:38 pm

I have never understood why people call something like bike riding "cardio" and something like weighlifting "strength training" because you can't do one without the other. Personally, I think they are just things made up by some gym trainer to sell their services. If cardio is just to build up the cardiovascular system, then how did I get muscles in my legs from years of bike riding? It makes no sense.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Re: Questioning the resistance/aerobic dichotomy

Postby petero » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:19 am

I always thought it had to do with the principle of specificity of training. Weights for strength, cardio for cardio, being more efficient than the other. And what about muscle types? FWIK, they're not exactly set in stone, but that might have something to do with the specificity, too.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Return to Exercise and Fitness