How to start with overweight?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to start with overweight?

Postby Snow White » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi all,

I am 5"6 (1,68m) with 230 lbs (105 kg) at the moment and my only activity is walking with the baby stroller or doing the housework. For two weeks I have been walking 4-5 km a day, which may is not that much but for me who haven't done any sports in years I am proud of myself. :)

Though I am not walking that much my knees are aching every evening. I will keep on going but I am looking for some exercises which I
a) can maybe do at home in addition
b) can handle with my overweight
c) can support my fitness

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
Snow White

Re: How to start with overweight?

Postby petero » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Walking is pretty safe, but it sucks to injure your knees, so maybe go easy at first and build up. If you can do 4-5km, don't add more until you can do it relatively pain free. (Or until you get more experience with pain so that you can tell whether its serious or not, but it's not always easy. The internet can be helpful.)

My advice would be to get a jump start on weight loss by following the Maximum Weight Loss plan you can find in the subforum or by reading the book. You joints will thank you.

(Disclaimer: I am not a professional at anything related to medicine or exercise, except maybe injuring myself. :D )
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby hope101 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Good for you for getting into problem-solving mode. Obviously you'll need to listen to your body. If it's a question of excessive weight and deconditioning, yes, I'd expect you'll find you're able to do more with time as the weight comes down and your muscles and ligaments become stronger.

If it doesn't improve, you might need to check the fit of your outdoor shoes. If they are forcing your knees into a position that is unnatural for you, that can contribute to knee pain.

That said, in the meantime, a few thoughts:
While watching TV, march in place. Swing your arms so you get a more aerobic workout. (I find a fitness tracker like the Garmin Vivofit to be helpful to motivation. It builds in the idea and habit of incremental exercise.)

Could you purchase a cheap exercise bike from a garage sale or thrift store?

You could also get some rubber bands and/or dumbbells and begin a very basic resistance training program. When you can tolerate them, exercises that strengthen the quadriceps muscle, like lunges or squats, can help with knee pain.
hope101

Postby sharonbikes » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Walking is the perfect exercise - our bodies are built to move. I would start doing some faster/slower intervals with your walking - practice walking faster for say a minute and then walk slower for 3-5 minutes, repeat.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Snow White » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:11 am

Thank you for your replies.

sharonbikes wrote:I would start doing some faster/slower intervals with your walking - practice walking faster for say a minute and then walk slower for 3-5 minutes, repeat.

Then I am on a good way, becaue I am already doing it like this. Only with a 2 ad 5 intervall. :)

hope101 wrote:[...]I'd expect you'll find you're able to do more with time as the weight comes down and your muscles and ligaments become stronger.
If it doesn't improve, you might need to check the fit of your outdoor shoes. If they are forcing your knees into a position that is unnatural for you, that can contribute to knee pain.
[...] (I find a fitness tracker like the Garmin Vivofit to be helpful to motivation. It builds in the idea and habit of incremental exercise.) Could you purchase a cheap exercise bike from a garage sale or thrift store? [...]

I really hope so. :D
For my walks I use my Nike Air Max shoes, because they "absorb" the weight and any kind of jerky movement. I tried to use other shoes once but then my whole legs were aching. (And no, I don't mean muscle pain) Cool you mentioned a fitness tracker, because I really do believe my Jawbone makes me move more. :nod: Regarding an exercise bike... they are usually limited to 200 lbs here but then I could buy one. I'm also very interested in a rowing machine, but it's imited to 200 lbs as well. I've already lost 66 lbs last year but now 10 lbs seperate me from buying and using. :)

petero wrote:My advice would be to get a jump start on weight loss by following the Maximum Weight Loss plan you can find in the subforum or by reading the book. You joints will thank you.

Yes, I think this woud help me to lose my weight faster. Thank you. :) I just have the feeling I should support the weight loss more with something. Other people walk 4-5 km just by doing their daily purchases. :oops: Though I am doing something I feel like I am doing nothing.
Snow White

Postby anja » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36 pm

walking is perfect and you can add brisk intervals if it fits for you.
Swimming is also a good activity (I know this year the German summer doesn't present perfect weather to do it outside :crybaby: ) and riding a bike (If you still looking for one that's great)
Small bodyweight exercises might help to strengthen your muscles and help to prevent pain and injury (I suggest a "thera band" because it also can help to stay flexible). Stay away from exercises that put to much pressure on single joints.

And the most important: have fun while you do it! :)
if health is a rainbow - food is one color of it
http://www.colorfuleating.com
anja

Postby Snow White » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:39 am

I think I wouldn't feel very comfortable with swimming at the moment. :oops:
Riding a bike outside would be an option, but I could only do it on the weekends when somebody can look after my son. That was the main reason I was looking for something I can do inside and at home. :)
Snow White

Postby anja » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:49 am

It's a pity to hear, that you wouldn't feel comfortable with swimming. But I can understand it.
Maybe you find an activity you can do with your son?
if health is a rainbow - food is one color of it
http://www.colorfuleating.com
anja

Postby Dougalling » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 am

Hi

I would recommend a good pair of shock absorbing insoles. Even though you are female, look into men's insoles. Take shorter strides when you walk.

Is there a Taoist Tai Chi association near you. You can work up a good sweat in 20 minutes of slow movements. Once you learn them moves, you can do it anywhere; indoors or out.
Dougalling

Postby Snow White » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:13 am

anja wrote:Maybe you find an activity you can do with your son?

We walk outside (baby stroller, he is 9 months old).
My husband will start a baby swimming courses with him.

Dougalling wrote:Hi

I would recommend a good pair of shock absorbing insoles. Even though you are female, look into men's insoles. Take shorter strides when you walk.

Is there a Taoist Tai Chi association near you. You can work up a good sweat in 20 minutes of slow movements. Once you learn them moves, you can do it anywhere; indoors or out.

Thanks, I will have a look. :nod:
And Tai Chi sounds great. I have always wanted to learn it - now it could be the perfect time.
Good idea, Dougalling.
Snow White

Postby Snow White » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Dougalling wrote:Hi

I would recommend a good pair of shock absorbing insoles.

Wanted to say thanks for his advice again.
I went to a sports store just a few days later and they told me it's not unusual for overweight people coming here and looking for absorbing insoles or absorbing shoes. I was surprised how friendly and supportive the store member were. They even pleased me to show my walking. Seems that my absorbing shoes caused a wrong weight displacement for me. This was no problem as long as I wear the shoes, but even without them I walked like this. So in the end I know the pain in my knees isn't from walking outside it is from walking without shoes and weight displacement. They give me some advice and showed me how to walk correctly. :D Sounds funny, but it worked. The first days were somehow difficult because I always had to correct myself but now I am totally fine and my knees doesn't hurt anymore.

In addition to that I started to use a cross trainer at home. It is possible to use different counterweights and since I use the cross trainer now daily, I switch the weights every day. On the first day I could use it just 12 minutes at the lowest counterweight (1 from 8). Currently I am switching between 6 to 8 kg counterweight and manage 11 to 15 km in 30 minutes. With my fitness tracker I always check my heart rate so that every training is done in a good training pulse. :nod: On the first days I really had to force myself, but now I am looking forward to my cross training every day.

Fortunately I may have found a babysitter so that I could go the gym on two evenings a week as well.
Maybe the sports grouch will become an sports ace someday :D
There's such an urge to move since I eat the right way...still cannot believe it.
Snow White

Return to Exercise and Fitness