High Altitude Pain

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High Altitude Pain

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Been a week now at 10,000 ft elevation in Leadville, CO. Two day training camp. Huge riding days.

Holy cow.

I've spent lots of time at 6-7K ft with no problems, but I came up here dragging a cold developed over three long travel days. Sore throat, sinuses, cough, headaches, some from altitude, but mostly a cold. Trained on the Leadville 100 course anyway. Pain. Suffering. I can't believe I signed up for this. Spent two days in bed, coughing, hacking, awful. Now I'm on the mend.

Didn't have time to make my rice based fuel, so relied on course nutrition, which was GU, and that worked fine, so good to know. Also relied on foo prepared for me by the camp, not on plan, not good. Feels better to get back to starches + fruits and veggies. The altitude also messes with hydration, digestion and appetite, but then so does a cold.

Wish I could measure up a healthy version of myself against this legendary course, but oh well, it was what it was.
vgpedlr

Re: High Altitude Pain

Postby Daydream » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:16 pm

I don't have any advice but I feel for you. I hope you feel better soon.
Daydream

Postby petero » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Regardless of diet, I hope the altitude training and training on the actual course helps you out. It looks like there's still a month to go.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:22 am

Back at sea level for a little recovery before heading back to altitude to acclimatize. Raced on Sat. in Tahoe (6-7K ft) which is not high for me. Raced OK, but didn't qualify for next year. Will try again in Flagstaff in Sep.

That course is NO JOKE!

People say oh it's not a real mob race, it's not technical, no single track, whatever. It's high altitude, rough, and long. No one will be tackling it on a cross bike. Very hard.

Have to revise my goal from finishing to just making the first time cut at 40 mi. I'll have to ride harder and faster than ever before just to do that.

It's good to tilt at windmills from time to time.
vgpedlr

Return to Exercise and Fitness