Yoga

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yoga

Postby Spiral » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:17 am

Any Yoga fans here? I didn't realize that Yoga was controversial.

Recently a University cancelled its free Yoga classes. University Cancels Free Yoga Class Because It’s ‘Cultural Appropriation’

The University of Ottawa in Canada has abruptly canceled the free yoga classes it has offered to students since 2008 over concerns that they amounted to “cultural appropriation” and were connected to “cultural genocide.”

Jennifer Scharf, the practitioner who had offered the classes, told the Independent that she had suddenly received a message telling her that they’d be suspended because “there were some issues in terms of a formal complaint.”

The decision to cancel the classes was made by the Ottawa Student Federation, the university’s independent student body.

According to the Ottawa Sun, staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities sent out an e-mail claiming that “while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students . . . there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice.”

”Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced,” and which cultures those practices “are being taken from,” the e-mail continued.

According to the centre, many of those cultures “have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy . . . we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practicing yoga.”

The Sun reports that about 60 people had participated in the program, and Scharf said she thinks it’s ridiculous and sad that they won’t be able to do so anymore.

I have been giving some thought to trying Yoga because I am a runner and running is a high impact exercise. Yoga tends to be low impact exercise. I did not realize that Yoga has been criticized this harshly.

I guess just about any exercise has pros and cons. We have read that too much running can be bad for your heart. Maybe Yoga is bad for society.

EDIT: Ok. Some people are continuing to make Yoga their exercise of choice despite claims of cultural appropriation.

Huffington Post Says the Way I Do Yoga Is Cultural Appropriation . . . but I Feel Like It’s Fine
by Katherine Timpf

I mean, sure, I was and always have been aware that, culturally, there’s more to yoga than just the moves, but kind of figured that I wouldn’t be required to learn how to change the spiritual state of my soul just because I wanted to change the physical state of my glutes. I really felt like it was fine for me to stand on one leg and lean forward without learning all about standing-on-one-leg-and-leaning-forward’s historical, spiritual, and cultural implications.

- - -

According to Barkataki, however, I’m very, very wrong. In fact, she actually goes so far as to say that people teaching others how to do yoga without teaching them about its cultural history is comparable to how “colonizing powers, such as the British, used to take over the land of colonies then utilize and exploit the labor, natural resources, industrial power, and anything deemed of value inherent to that place.”
Spiral

Re: Yoga

Postby victw » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:33 pm

The fact that a question about yoga is being asked in the "Exercise and Fitness" section explains that many in the west see yoga as a form of exercise.

For more explanation of yoga you might check the wikipedia entry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga

In the primary work of yoga - the yoga sutras - divided into 4 chapters and composed of 196 sutras - asana is only referenced about 3 times.

That being said yoga as a form of exercise will likely complement your running - but beware. The average yoga teacher is not any better trained that your typical gym class leader. And you will likely need to check out many classes/styles before you find both a safe class and a good fit.

If you do decide to look for a class - I recommend strongly finding a teacher that is well versed in breathing techniques. And integrates them well with asana.

Also note - one of the more interesting things that happens when people self select a yoga teacher and/or class style is that they pick more of the same. For example type A's/runners/triathletes tend to pick high intensity classes. Resist the urge.

Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby nicoles » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Spiral, you might find this book interesting.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sharonbikes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:03 am

Yoga rocks. Yes, you should give it a try. Find a good teacher who matches with your style. Try a yoga studio first or some of the best yoga classes are at churches and such as they are taught by people who teach for the love of it. Look for a teacher who is at least 200 hours certified. Look for a teacher who will correct your positions and will help you do what you need to do. If you don't like the first place you try, try another one until you find one you like. Enjoy!!
sharonbikes

Return to Exercise and Fitness