Back to the Gym

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Back to the Gym

Postby bhagler » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:58 am

So I am a 45 year old male. 2011 I weighed as much as 250 lbs. 6 months ago, started a Plant Based diet, as of today, 195 lbs. Without getting into all other specifics, I still have a good roll around my midsection. It isn't as much as before, obviously. I also have hanging skin/fat on arms etc.

I haven't been in the gym for sometime. My question is will simple cardio and resistance training "tone" up these areas? Not looking for exercises to do just some others experiences maybe.
bhagler

Re: Back to the Gym

Postby plant_eater » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Congrats on the weight loss and going plant based. I am in a very similar situation, I was 260 at 44 and going plant based I dropped to 170. I have remained there for about 2 years now, but just as you said I also have the big jelly roll around the midsection. I am now 46.

In regard to your question(s) First off its still going to take some time and discipline. The flab on my arms is finally starting to come off and I can actually see little budding triceps. But if you grab under the arm it still has abit of flab. My mid roll has remained the same for 2 years now.

In 2015 I trained and completed 6 races, running races all the way up to a full marathon, long distance road bike races up to 70 miles and a olympic distance triathlon. For 2016 I trained and completed 10 races, running another full marathon, mountain trail race, another long distance bike race, duathlon and 3 triathlons, etc..

After all of that....Still 170 at 20% body fat. Recently I got on the whole I need more protein and I am going to build muscle, blah blah blah, starting noshing on non fat yogurt, listened to the fat is good for you arguments, started eating avocados and unsalted whole peanuts in the shell, weight lifting, calisthenics, etc... I jumped to 180 and 23% body fat. So no that did not work.

So now I am going the McDougall route and we shall see. Here is the equation I was once told and it makes 100% sense to me.

80% Nutrition, 20% Exercise, 100% Attitude

My goal is to get to 10% body fat. I have started working on the calorie density concept, eating more potatoes and greens, keeping my total calorie intake as low as possible without actually counting every damn thing I eat. I have just recently cut out coffee, I also was using a small tub of vegan butter about once a month, I did not think it hurt much, but obviously I am stuck at a platuea, so cut out the butter, cut out avocados, etc..

I am also trying to take into consideration that I still have to train for a Ironman 70.3 in 4 months! Thats 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run, in the rugged territory of St George Utah. Speaking of which I need to get off here and go get my raining day workout in.

So focus on nutrition, calorie density and holding a daily deficit, go work out and build muscle, it does work. Also if you join a masters swimming class where you are doing swim workouts 3-4 times a week, I promise you will get fit. I have been seeing great improvements in total body muscle improvement since I started a swim workout regimen.

Sorry I tend to ramble on here. You answer to your question is Yes!
My question is will simple cardio and resistance training "tone" up these areas?

Plant Based Athletics, for Health and Fitness
Cheers
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Return to Exercise and Fitness