Is there an ideal pre / post gym meal?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is there an ideal pre / post gym meal?

Postby Earl_UK » Thu May 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Im thinknng 2 cups of brown rice, 100g of Peas, 100g of Mushrooms, 50g of Kale.

Any thoughts on improving that?
Earl_UK

Re: Is there an ideal pre / post gym meal?

Postby vgpedlr » Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 am

The ideal pre/post workout meal is breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on time of day. Whatever you like that is on plan is fine. There is no reason to do anything different around a workout.
vgpedlr

Re: Is there an ideal pre / post gym meal?

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 am

As vgpedir said, as long as you stick to McDougall rules, you should be fine.

I find mushrooms a bit "heavy", I personally wouldn't use them as a part of pre- gym meal. What kind of exercises do you do in the gym? Strength/cardio? How intense are the workouts and how frequently do you workout? Do you eat before you go to the gym or a couple of hours before that? How tall are you? Male/female? How much do you weigh?

Have you tried your combination of foods before? Your meal looks good on paper, at least to me. And if you feel ok afterwards then go with it! I think it still depends on the person. My partner can eat fatty foods right before the exercise, fresh fruit makes him burp and pasta/rice makes him sluggish. I on the other hand don't like nuts and if I eat them, I have them after the last meal of the day, never before an exercise.

Maybe you could give us a bit more information and we can give you another idea or two.
Fuzzy

Return to Exercise and Fitness