Brrrrrrrrr.........that's ca-ca-ca-cold

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brrrrrrrrr.........that's ca-ca-ca-cold

Postby Skip » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 am

The outdoor pool opened today at the health club. The water temperature was 64 degrees F. (the heater is on but it takes time to heat up the water). They asked me how the water felt and I said "this is fucking freezing" with a laugh. I'm always struggling to increase my stroke rate but in water this cold an increased stroke rate and heart beat is no problem. The life guards kept telling me that they were proud of me and respected the fact that I swam in these conditions.

I did have an ulterior motive because in a week I'm in a triathlon and will be swimming in a lake that will at least be this cold and I don't own a wet suit and don't want to purchase one for this one event.

Does anybody know how to stay a little warmer in cold water without a wet suit? Would vaseline help?
Last edited by Skip on Sun May 28, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Brrrrrrrrr.........that's ca-ca-ca-cold

Postby vgpedlr » Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 am

I wear a wetsuit. Not only do they keep you warmer, they make you faster. Because of that, wetsuits are banned in many types of open water swimming races, like the English channel crossing records. Those swimmers do grease up with various concoctions, like lanolin, to help with the cold. But I've never done it and don't know much about it. With a surfing background and triathlons being wetsuit legal, a wetsuit makes the most sense. But a little internet searching should find something.
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Sun May 28, 2017 10:14 am

Two days later the pool temperature was about 70 degree's F. and that was no problem compared to the 64 degree F. experience.
A simple tip I discovered was to wear earplugs or they have swim caps that cover your ears. I don't want to spend the $200 for a wet suit unless I continue to swim in cold water (which I can easily avoid by entering events in the mid-summer).

Vegpdlr, I'd like to get your take on time restricted feeding/fasting:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55520

It's great to have you back!
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby vgpedlr » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Skip wrote:It's great to have you back!

Thanks.

Vegpdlr, I'd like to get your take on time restricted feeding/fasting:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55520

I only skimmed the thread because my whole reaction to the topic is, meh. I don't really care. I file this one under YMMV. Individual responses are what matters. If someone thinks it might be helpful, then try it out. Put it to the test. If it works, great, keep doing it. If not, move on. I don't think there's any magic there, and some people may find it far too onerous. Long term consistency is what matters most. If IF helps, great, if not, toss it.

The one thing I will add is that there may be some value giving the whole system a rest from digestion. I base this on reading Dr. Fuhrman's book on fasting, and talking to Dr. Klaper at an ASW. I asked Klaper about benefits of various short term fasting regimes for someone already following healthy guidelines and his answer was that any time you rest the system from digestion, improved healing and regeneration occur. For myself, I like having at least 12 hrs between dinner and breakfast. It seems to work for me. As for everybody else, they have to experiment and test for themselves.
vgpedlr

Return to Exercise and Fitness