What is Your Workout?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What is Your Workout?

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

Currently on my 6x6x6?regimen. 100-150 KB swings, a mix of mostly two handed with the 20K and some one handed with the 16K. Done in sets of 10 with a push-up, goblet squat, and row between each set. Run 30-60 min untamed, not even my HRM. Ashtanga yoga half primary series, modified closing sequence.. all done six days a week with one day to rest. Each workout is fun and energizing. I don't feel beat up, but ready for another day. There is an interesting opposition between the tightening of the posterior chain from the running and KB swings, and the intense stretching of the those muscles which is the Ashtanga primary series focus.

What are you working on?
vgpedlr

Re: What is Your Workout?

Postby DanTheYogi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm

I have been very active of late, though admittedly I do not have any sort of weekly plan. Basketball is perhaps my favorite physical activity, though it is restricted by my ability to find times at my local rec when there are enough guys to play and the gym isn't overrun by kiddos. I think due to school winter break hours I have been lucky, as I have been finding a lot of college guys who are home for the holidays, so I've been able to play 2-3 times a week. We'll see how things go now that school is starting backup. Lots more kids have been in the gyms right after school hours (around 4pm). When I do play, it is typically for 2 hours of pretty intense, full court basketball. Great cardio, especially with how cold it has been. I normally do a lot of biking/running, but it has been too cold and I can't stand cardio machines.

I have taken a short hiatus from resistance training. My apartment shutdown our gym 2 weeks ago for renovations. Luckily, there is a rec center across the street from me that has been in renovations of its own for almost a year, but it opens up this Saturday. Once it opens up, I plan on starting back to resistance training. Not sure what kind of weekly schedule I want yet - easy strength was definitely nice for the month or so that I did it. I have really wanted to start training in the morning, as I have much more motivation before work than after, but it's been a struggle to get on a consistent schedule where I would ideally wake up at 6 every morning.

I also just got a membership to a local climbing gymnasium. It was too good a deal to pass up - 48 bucks a month (no contract) for unlimited climbing, free gear rental, unlimited access to their core and yoga classes, plus special deals on climbing gear. They are open til 10 every day and open early on the weekend for members only. It is also very fun (and difficult!), as well as very social. Because it is so intensive, you really have to take breaks in-between climbs, which gives me a chance to meet some pretty cool people. One of my only friends (out of 2 total) that eats like I do already climbs, and I convinced the other one to start climbing as well! My hands are already getting pretty roughed up, but I'm loving it so far.

I am an avid yoga practitioner, though only recently started getting back into the physical practice of yoga due to injuries. I am a certified instructor (though do not teach currently), so I'm able to practice alone without planning my sequences; I just listen to my body and figure it out as a flow, depending on what I need for that day. I try to do at least a little bit every day.

I am also a bit of a dancer; I practice a style of partner dancing called west coast swing. It is not very intense, but I can certainly break a sweat after a couple hours of dancing. It's enough to wear me out and give a good nights sleep.

Typing all that out, I do wonder if I am spreading myself a bit too thin at times, but for now, it's working for me. I enjoy all of these activities for a variety of reasons, and I always feel good doing them (and when I'm not doing them).
DanTheYogi

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 pm

The way I see it, you can only spread yourself too thin if you have specific goals, then spend time and energy doing unrelated activities. After all, we only have a limited amount of time, energy, and recovery ability. So, if your goal was to do well in a competitive basketball league, and the climbing took away from that, that would be spreading too thin. Having a variety of interests and being active in different ways for fun is not.

For myself, I have spent the last couple of months trying to find a nice balance of strength, endurance and yoga, with a little more emphasis on strength. In a few weeks, that balance will have to shift more and more to endurance to prepare for my key races in July. So strength work, while fun, must complement and interfere with important bike and run workouts.
vgpedlr

Postby Yomom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 am

Dog walking (1 mile per day as dogs are now old and have severe heart disease); urban walking (25 brisk miles/week); hiking in season (8-13 miles, 3x weekly); snowshoe or X/C in season (1x weekly); weights class (twice weekly each 33 reps in 45 minutes followed by 15 mins mat work, mostly Pilates); yoga (1hr x 5 times weekly); occasional ballet class, barre only 45 mins.

The recent addition of yoga has given me amazing benefits! I am sorry I waited so long to dive in.
Yomom

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

Sounds like a great active lifestyle, Yomom. Where in CO are you and where do you ski/snowshoe? For those who self coach, can you give some details about your strength exercises and mat work?
vgpedlr

Postby Yomom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

We live in Boulder and are trying to have an active early retirement. I am in a twice-weekly women’s group weight class, with a coach who sets the exercises and then moves around to each of us, to demonstrate the exercises and correct our form. The exercises change every 2-3 classes, and are specified on a sheet given to us by our coach. Like I said, we do 33 sets in 45 minutes - usually including bench press, lifts with barbells, time on weight machines and with pulleys. We usually use exercise balls, and sometimes use jump ropes. At the end during our 15 minutes on the mat, our coach leads us in various planks, crunches etc. which leave us gasping on the mat. Because of this, I walk to/from the weights class as a warmup/cooldown. Due to persistent muscle soreness from this weights class (even after 13 months), I have recently added yoga 5x weekly with a 4 mile roundtrip walk to/from yoga. Soreness seems to be lessened.
We hike or snowshoe or X/C ski only in season.
Yomom

Postby EvanG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 am

I started WFPB eating about 5 or 6 yrs ago as a prelude to turning 40. The goal was to avoid/delay some of the medical issues that people so frequently develop after 40. That's been going pretty well. However, I've had some nagging physical issues due to old knee injuries and recovery from broken collarbone. That and time constraints (new dad w/ two working parents and lots of projects) have caused a lack of real commitment to and success with an exercise program, which consists of working in bike/run/swim activities when I can.

In addition to people developing medical issues related to circulation and metabolism, people often go downhill with respect to flexibility, strength, and posture. So, this year, my resolution was to start each day with 10 sun salutations, and build a yoga practice from there. My past history with it is probably taking 5 or 6 courses over many years and doing random sessions at the gym. This is the first time actually sticking with a home practice, and so far it's been going well, although it has been a short period so far. We just bought the Great Courses Yoga course, and that's been quite helpful, particularly in the area of breathing. With that in mind, I googled John McDougall Yoga, and got about 200,000 hits, one of which is this thread. I'm curious to know if there is a lot of interest in Yoga on this board. Jogging/biking/swimming has to be worked in as parenting/working time allows for now.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby Poison Ivy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 am

Daily moderate cardio (walking on a treadmill or riding my home stationary bike) and I lift light weights in a fitness ctr. with high reps. sometimes about 4-5 days a week, alternating different bodyparts.

I have a Bruce-Lee type physique....Lean and muscular.
Poison Ivy

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:22 pm

My current workouts are very light compared to before I developed adrenal fatigue these past years. Currently I am working my way back up to running 3 to 4 times a week for at least 3 miles each run. I practice yoga & qigong at home for about 20 to 60 minute sessions, I aim for most days. My health has not even been permitting this schedule at times for past 2 years. Before 2 years ago I ran 3 to 4 times a week at least 3 miles a run, hiked once a week for an hour with lots of hills. I have practiced yoga on and off for over 20 years. This year I am aiming for a consistent daily practice of both yoga & qigong. I am training to be a qigong teacher, and I may add yoga teacher training after that if my health/fitness allow it. I am 51 years old & have been running since age 37. I love exercising, so to have developed this health issue where vigorous exercise is not possible at least at first in recovery really really sucks! Well I will keep trying to repair, restore, and eventually return to greater levels of fitness and exercise! Thanks for starting this thread.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Jmh6851 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:38 pm

I recently rejoined the gym since my Medicare pays for it. I am trying to get up to at least 30 minutes on the treadmill, then I work my legs, arms and core muscles
Jmh6851

Postby teresamere » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:50 pm

My gym closed because of pandemic, so I take walks up hill, I'm too obese to run, I want to do more hiking since I live near a national park, it's really pretty.
teresamere

Postby Ruff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 pm

back running after a year off due to injury (not caused by running!...I am lame from a spinal injury from an accident and the injury was a complication of this)

so! I have entered the mount Oxford odyssey.there are a number of races and also walks. I am doing the 22km, just over the half marathon, and my husband is doing the 32km. He has just moved into the over 60's so is in a good age range. I am at the top of the 50's, not so good.

So my workouts are building both distance and strength in running. today I did the pipeline which is 350m ascent over 1km (1260 feet over just over half a mile.) Then I did another 1000 feet of ascent over 8km. I'm getting the climbing in but I need to up the distance.

I am also trying to work out a basic stretching routine I can do at home to keep my flexibility. I'm going to the library tomorrow to see what I can find on stretching.

I also do aikido, for fun and the the ability to fall safely. I am a bit of a klutz and they is not a good thing for a trail runner! There is no covid here, so no worries about close contact training.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby kimba » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Ha! Couldn't resist, walking from room to room.

Pretty lame for sure is what I am. I need to do something.
kimba

Return to Exercise and Fitness