Autophogy and a question on eating after a workout

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Autophogy and a question on eating after a workout

Postby Raquel1002 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi all,
I read the articles on Intermittent Fasting but didn't see anything about whether or not IF might be good for the sole purpose of promoting autophogy (cell regeneration), especially if one has a chronic 'mystery illness' they are trying to figure out (like me!) I put autophogy in the search engine and nothing came up. Any thoughts on this? I've been trying to fast at least 12 hours but it's challenging given I'm typically not home from my evening workout (which I go to directly from work) till like 8-9pm so am literally eating dinner 9:30-10pm. Really not good for the body I know!

I've thought of getting all my calories at breakfast and lunch, but worry about any negative effects of not fueling my muscles after a workout. Is that a myth that we need to eat after a workout, especially if you've lifted weights? Or, given I've been eating WFPB for b-fast and lunch, will there still be enough food in the system for the body to draw from after the workout?
Raquel1002

Re: Autophogy and a question on eating after a workout

Postby calvin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Modern day studies indicate that the energy output and calories burnt are about the same when comparing an on-the-go soccer-mom housewife with a marathoner on marathon day.

Why would that be true?

It would be true if and because the energy output and calories burnt were about the same when comparing a paleo-era stay-near-cave gatherer and a hunter running down (or not) deer all day. On a good day, a high-carb meal would have been waiting for an empty-handed hunter. If hunting were easy, it would be called shopping.

The claim is that roughly half the human body's workload is spent dealing with digestion. Any relief you can give the body in that arena, such as fasting (regardless of duty cycle), is going to free up that workload for the body to spend instead on repair, where "repair" of course includes autophagy, among millions of other chores. So yes, doesn't common sense indicate that fasting, in any form, can't help but promote healing? It's built in. And i sincerely doubt that muscle tissue cares about the timing of dietary protein. Muscle tissue, and all other tissue, is going to be doing repairs with nutrients consumed hours ago, not with nutrients in an after-workout meal. The obsession of athletes with protein is naive; i gotta feel sorry for their kidneys.
calvin

Postby Raquel1002 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Hey Calvin,
Wow, that's fascinating and yes, it does make sense! So I'm getting that it would behoove me to start moving toward IF, even if I can get 10 hours in. I wonder if that would help clear up this mystery illness.

The two things I'm concerned about were I to eat lunch say 3-4pm then not eat anything in the evening after I work out are:
1. Hunger pangs interfering with sleeping soundly and,
2. Losing weight. I'm so full after my meals as it is cuz I eat so many veg and have increased my grain (millet, sweet potato, quinoa, etc) to 6-8 oz, that I can't imagine fitting in any more food so that I wouldn't lose weight. I'm usually a little uncomfortably full after meals.

Yesterday I read an article by McD which talked about the foods to avoid on up to the optimal foods to eat, at which point it became clear why all the belly fat! (Tofu, nuts and seeds daily, tempeh, bean spaghetti!) Now that I've cut them out, and as I move toward 100% (from my current 80/20) perhaps I won't be as full after meals and will be able to fit more food in to two meals/daily then fast remainder of night, even after workout, so long I don't wake up starving.

Any thoughts on the above concerns greatly apprec'd!
Raquel1002

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi Raquel. I think your first step towards having success is just to follow the program fully. Then, once you’ve gotten in a groove with that, see if intermittent fasting is something you want to try. If you change a bunch of things at once, you won’t know what gave you success. And, no amount of fasting is going to fix poor food choices. Best to you!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 am

Raquel1002 wrote:Hi all,
I read the articles on Intermittent Fasting but didn't see anything about whether or not IF might be good for the sole purpose of promoting autophogy (cell regeneration), especially if one has a chronic 'mystery illness' they are trying to figure out (like me!) I put autophogy in the search engine and nothing came up. Any thoughts on this? I've been trying to fast at least 12 hours but it's challenging given I'm typically not home from my evening workout (which I go to directly from work) till like 8-9pm so am literally eating dinner 9:30-10pm. Really not good for the body I know!

I've thought of getting all my calories at breakfast and lunch, but worry about any negative effects of not fueling my muscles after a workout. Is that a myth that we need to eat after a workout, especially if you've lifted weights? Or, given I've been eating WFPB for b-fast and lunch, will there still be enough food in the system for the body to draw from after the workout?

We do not recommend Intermittent fasting. It goes against the very principles of the program. Eat when hungry till comfortable full. Don't stuff and don't starve.

In spite of the current hype, there is no credible evidence for IF in people following this program for any weight or metabolic benefit and in the last few years, several RCT"s either haven't shown any benefit for IF over a healthy diet and a few showed that the IF groups did worse then those on the control diet and had many more adverse effects.

Understand that autophagy is a natural, normal function of metabolism that is happening 24 hours a day, every day and the best thing you can do for it is to follow the program, eliminate the CRAP and overeating, be active, manage stress and enjoy life.

I just posted on how the media and the researchers themselves tend to over exaggerate the studies.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27778&p=594468#p594468

Here is my full thread on Intermittent fasting
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36724

If you have a mystery illness, best to work with a knowledgeable health care professional who understands our approach.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Raquel1002 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm

HI Jeff,
Thanks for your expert opinion based on all your experience and research!

You wrote: Understand that autophagy is a natural, normal function of metabolism that is happening 24 hours a day, every day and the best thing you can do for it is to follow the program, eliminate the CRAP and overeating, be active, manage stress and enjoy life.

I didn't know autophogy happened all day long - good to know I don't need to fast for that to happen. However I do aim to shift my schedule so I can eat dinner earlier so as to not go to bed on full stomach like I do now.

Reading the blog you referenced, and your response to my above post, I let out a sigh of relief. One less thing to worry about, especially as I'm just now in the process of simplifying my food plan so I can get my life back. (I finally figured out how to download the recipes from Fast Food Volume 1 and am heading to grocery store with the list and trying my fist recipe tomorrow!)

Interesting is that my three meals are so substantive that I don't think of food between meals and never snack because I really don't need to. (When I'm on the beam that is; I've had a few excursions this holiday season and am getting read to clean things up again.)

My main goals now are simplifying the veg intake and overall food prep, getting rid of the vegan junk like corn chips and coconut ice cream (weighed and measured but still!), and getting to bed earlier, all of which will help me enjoy life rather than be fixated on food and meal prep etc! I'm in process and can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Also giving up some veg that are expensive like vinegar beets, and pea shoots, and trying to decide on whether I want to keep eating celery which takes so long to wash/dry. I'm still wrapping my mind around the idea that I don't need that much variety of vegetable to be fit and well nourished! Letting go these entrenched habits of thinking/conditioning is so challenging, but I suspect one day in the not too distant future I'll look back and my only wish will be that I didn't start sooner.

Wish me luck during this transition, and thanks again for your expertise and tips on simple, healthy WHFB eating!
Raquel1002

Postby Raquel1002 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi Lyndzie~!
Thanks for your feedback; that really makes sense. I'm going to get clean on McDougall's program then see if I want to try some IF, but given the feedback from Jeff below, I'm not sure if I will. But making too many changes at once isn't a good idea so thank you for that.
Raquel1002

Return to Exercise and Fitness