Dizziness During Runs

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dizziness During Runs

Postby jeff_t » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:10 pm

I have a fairly McDougall-compliant diet, and have maintained it for about five years now. I'm also a runner, though nothing serious -- maybe 15 miles per week. Typically, I run early in the morning before breakfast. The only thing I consume beforehand is about 8-12 oz of water. And those runs feel great. I can run up to 5-6 miles this way with no troubles.

The problems start when I run anytime later in the day. If I run later in the morning after eating anything, or in the evening right after work, I very frequently will feel weak and even dizzy after about one mile. If I stop and walk for a while, I can sometimes continue, but often I can't. I have tried eating a snack about 30 minutes before. I've tried a snack an hour before. I have tried eating a big lunch or a small lunch. None of those things seems to really help, thought I haven't really tried any one of those things very consistently.

It feels/seems like a lack of calories, but I don't see how that can be when I can run first thing in the morning 10-12 hours after dinner with no trouble at all. Any suggestions?
jeff_t

Re: Dizziness During Runs

Postby calvin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm

I always find the word "Dizziness" to be rather vague unless accompanied by details. My episodes of imbalance have occurred when making turning moves, e.g. on the racquetball or rolling out of bed. They are temporary; once i straighten up for a few seconds, i'm back to normal. Sometimes, I reach out to wall to steady myself. Doing the Epley Maneuver has pretty much brought these to and end for me. I believe my yoga classes which sometimes involve unusual head positiions have caused an inner ear problem for me. But there are various other suspected causes, e.g. virus, etc. Plug "Epley" into the youtube search engine for many videos.

I find this one helpful:

https://bit.ly/1Na3pXQ
calvin

Return to Exercise and Fitness