Exercise

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Exercise

Postby Steflou64 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 am

I am on Maximum Weight Loss and exercise fifteen minutes five days a week. I know I should do thirty but fifteen is enough of a challenge-I have one hundred pounds to lose. Can I still lose doing fifteen minutes right now? I read losing weight is eighty percent diet anyway.
Steflou64

Re: Exercise

Postby sirdle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:06 am

Probably.

In the past, I have lost weight with no exercise.

It is important to pay close attention to the calorie density of the foods you are eating. Review Jeff Novick's threads on this. If you are not losing weight, you'll need to shift your food choices so you are eating more fruits and vegetables and fewer starches. (As your weight drops and your health improves you'll have more energy and be able to exercise more.)

Of course, keep in mind the principles of MWL, and avoid all calorie dense foods.

Good luck!
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 am

I think you are doing great! Making an effort to do something that improves your health is a step in the right direction. Have you read Jeff’s exercise advice? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43482
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:00 am

You will lose even if just 15 minutes if you eat within the guidelines. If you are really concerned and want to get in the 30 minutes you could do 15 in the morning and 15 later in the day. What type of exercise is it?
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby sirdle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Ejeff wrote:If you are really concerned and want to get in the 30 minutes you could do 15 in the morning and 15 later in the day.

That's a very good idea!
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby geo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Sure you can lose 100 lbs even without exercise. I did mostly walking and I highly recommend it. If all you can do is 15 mins then great, do it. You will soon see those 15 mins become 20 then 30 then the skys the limit. You will start feeling better and just naturally want to walk more. Don't sweat it, just do it. Follow the MWL Principles/Guidelines/and Recommendations and that 100 will melt off you in no time...just be realistic...it probably took you decades to gain that 100 lbs so dont be in a hurry...just follow the program and you WILL succeed, justlLike I did. See my testimonial link in my sig below and my one year journal link tells you exactly how I did it over the course of a year in detail.

Stay the course and you will be coming back here in a few months a changed person with an entirely new outlook on life!

Good luck and ask all the questions you want...we are a very helpful friendly bunch :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby runonstarch » Sun May 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Diet is the single most important aspect in weight loss. Exercise is healthy but can sometimes limit weight loss because of the hunger it triggers for many people.

I've lost 60 pounds since Christmas and I've had to cut way back on exercise due to over-eating when I go too hard. I'll start back into hard training after I get to my goal weight. My hunger goes into overdrive when I exercise too much. That may or may not happen to you, but it is something to look out for.

Also, don't beat yourself up about not making 30 minutes right now. Carrying an extra 100 pounds is hard work and imo is exercise just living your daily life. Keep up the good work on the diet and you will see results and will likely start exercising more just from feeling better.

-Chris
runonstarch

Postby Dougalling » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 am

Hello

Your body is carrying 100 extra pounds wherever you go.
You are exercising all day long.
Enjoy your plant based whole foods and have a great day.
Dougalling

Return to Exercise and Fitness