Kombucha

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kombucha

Postby HealthFreak » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Jeff,

I tried some of this at the Seattle Vegfest yesterday. I really liked it. It's low calorie and seems to have healthy ingredients. What do you think of it?

http://www.gtskombucha.com/
HealthFreak

Re: Kombucha

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:04 am

HealthFreak wrote:Jeff,

I tried some of this at the Seattle Vegfest yesterday. I really liked it. It's low calorie and seems to have healthy ingredients. What do you think of it?

http://www.gtskombucha.com/

Greetings,

I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. :)

While Kombucha tea is widely promoted to have miraculous medicinal properties, there is no evidence that Kombucha tea is effective for any of the reasons it is promoted for.

What is being sold as Kombucha today is a colony of numerous species of fungi and bacteria living together, which permeate the tea. The precise composition of any sample of Kombucha depends to a great extent on what was floating around in your kitchen when you grew it or the kitchen (room) where it was grown.

The most common microorganisms found in Kombucha tea include species of Brettanomyces, Zygosaccharomyces, Saccharomyces, Candida, Torula, Acetobacter, and Pichia. However, some analyzed specimens have been found to contain completely different organisms, and there is no guarantee that they will be harmless.

In addition, there are case reports, which suggest that Kombucha preparations can cause such problems as nausea, jaundice, shortness of breath, throat tightness, headache, dizziness, liver inflammation, and even unconsciousness.

Mayser P, Fromme S, Leitzmann C, et al. The yeast spectrum of the 'tea fungus Kombucha'. Mycoses. 1995;38:289-295.

Food and Drug Administration. FDA cautions consumers on "Kombucha Mushroom Tea" {News release}. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Food and Drug Administration, March 23, 1995

CDC. Anticholinergic poisoning associated with an herbal tea -- New York City, 1994. MMWR 1995;44:193-5.

Srinivasan R, Smolinske S, Greenbaum D. Probable gastrointestinal toxicity of Kombucha tea: is this beverage healthy or harmful? J Gen Intern Med. 1997;12:643-644.

Unexplained severe illness possibly associated with consumption of Kombucha tea—Iowa, 1995. From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 1996;275:96-98.

Perron AD, Patterson JA, Yanofsky NN. Kombucha "mushroom" hepatotoxicity. Ann Emerg Med. 1995;26:660-66

Sadjadi J. Cutaneous anthrax associated with the Kombucha "mushroom" in Iran [letter]. JAMA. 1998;280:1567-1568.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you for the information. It’s funny how they leave out the sources that you cited :) Here’s a small sample from their FAQ section.

Is there research to back up these health claims?

There is an extensive literature (some 300 books and research papers) dealing with the analysis of Kombucha Tea and its therapeutic effects. The independent medical research has been conducted principally in Russia and in Germany over the whole of the 20th century. Among early reports were those listing the benefits of Kombucha for stomach, digestive and intestinal disorders. One of the most famous of the later researchers was Dr. Rudolf Sklenar of Oberhessen who recognized the detoxifying properties of glucuronic acid in Kombucha for removing waste matter such as cholesterol and toxic deposits. He developed a biological cancer therapy based on Kombucha, and it is his recipe which is still generally used today and for the production of the commercially bottled brew. He became a champion for the remedy, which he found helped invigorate the entire glandular system and the metabolism. He successfully treated arthritis, constipation, obesity, arteriosclerosis, impotence, kidney stones, rheumatism, gout and significantly, cancer, especially in its early stages.
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Crit Path AIDS Proj. 1994-94 Winter;(No 30):31-2.Links
Kombucha--toxicity alert.

AIDS: The Kombucha mushroom, also known as Manchurian mushroom, is a mail-order product touted to lower blood pressure and raise T-cell counts. No controlled trials have been conducted to test these claims. Aspergillus, a mold that may grow on the Kombucha mushroom, attacks the brain and may be fatal to persons with weakened immune systems. Reported toxicity reactions have included stomach problems and yeast infections. Taking Kombucha in combination with other drugs may affect the drugs potency.

PMID: 11362190

GMHC Treat Issues. 1995 May;9(5):10.Links Kombucha: a dubious "cure".
Majchrowicz M.

The kombucha (or Manchurian) mushroom has numerous claims of "significant" health improvements, yet there is no research or any basic evidence to back up the claims. According to folklore, the kombucha is a super immune booster that can fight many ailments, including AIDS, cancer, arthritis, constipation, and more. However, there is concern about the safety of kombucha, which is not really a mushroom but a yeast culture. Since the culture must grow at room temperature for seven to ten days, contamination and growth of other organisms can take place. The tea's original ingredients include caffeine and large amounts of sugar. These may account for the increased energy some individuals have claimed. Some stories state miraculous results. Other accounts mention no improvement in general well-being.

PMID: 11362411

Probable gastrointestinal toxicity of Kombucha tea: is this beverage healthy or harmful?
J Gen Intern Med. 1997 Oct;12(10):643-4.

Kombucha tea is a health beverage made by incubating the Kombucha "mushroom" in tea and sugar. Although therapeutic benefits have been attributed to the drink, neither its beneficial effects nor adverse side effects have been reported widely in the scientific literature. Side effects probably related to consumption of Kombucha tea are reported in four patients. Two presented with symptoms of allergic reaction, the third with jaundice, and the fourth with nausea, vomiting, and head and neck pain. In all four, use of Kombucha tea in proximity to onset of symptoms and symptom resolution on cessation of tea drinking suggest a probable etiologic association.
PMID: 9346462

Kombucha, the fermented tea: microbiology, composition, and claimed health effects.
J Food Prot. 2000 Jul;63(7):976-81.

Abstract
Kombucha is a slightly sweet, slightly acidic tea beverage consumed worldwide, but historically in China, Russia, and Germany. Kombucha is prepared by fermenting sweetened black tea preparations with a symbiotic culture of yeasts and bacteria. Potential health effects have created an increased interest in Kombucha. Yet, only a few research studies have shown that Kombucha has in vitro antimicrobial activity and enhances sleep and pain thresholds in rats. Furthermore, Kombucha consumption has proven to be harmful in several documented instances.
PMID: 10914673

Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2003 Apr;10(2):85-7.
Kombucha: a systematic review of the clinical evidence.

Kombucha has become a popular complementary remedy. The aim of this systematic review was to critically evaluate the evidence related to its efficacy and safety. METHODS: Computerised literature searches were carried out to locate all human medical investigations of kombucha regardless of study design. Data were extracted and validated by the present author and are reported in narrative form. RESULTS: No clinical studies were found relating to the efficacy of this remedy. Several case reports and case series raise doubts about the safety of kombucha. They include suspected liver damage, metabolic acidosis and cutaneous anthrax infections. One fatality is on record. CONCLUSIONS: On the basis of these data it was concluded that the largely undetermined benefits do not outweigh the documented risks of kombucha. It can therefore not be recommended for therapeutic use. Copyright 2003 S. Karger GmbH, Freiburg
PMID: 12808367

A case of Kombucha tea toxicity.
J Intensive Care Med. 2009 May-Jun;24(3):205-7.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:
Kombucha "mushroom'' tea is touted to have medicinal properties. Here, we present a case of hyperthermia, lactic acidosis, and acute renal failure within 15 hours of Kombucha tea ingestion.

CASE PRESENTATION:
A 22 year old male, newly diagnosed with HIV, became short of breath and febrile to 103.0F, within twelve hours of Kombucha tea ingestion. He subsequently became combative and confused, requiring sedation and intubation for airway control. Laboratories revealed a lactate of 12.9 mmol/L, and serum creatinine of 2.1 mg/dL.

DISCUSSION:
Kombucha tea is black tea fermented in a yeast-bacteria medium. Several case reports exist of serious, and sometimes fatal, hepatic dysfunction and lactic acidosis within close proximity to ingestion.

CONCLUSION:
While Kombucha tea is considered a healthy elixir, the limited evidence currently available raises considerable concern that it may pose serious health risks. Consumption of this tea should be discouraged, as it may be associated with life-threatening lactic acidosis.
PMID: 19460826
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Not sure if my humor came across. I know your sources are good. I was sarcastically saying that the Kombucha company forgot to cite your sources.

I bought a couple bottles over the weekend and I think I had a small allergic reaction. I had some hives. The rest is going down the drain as soon as I get home.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad that you are there to help people get to the real information.
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 pm

HealthFreak wrote:Not sure if my humor came across. I know your sources are good. I was sarcastically saying that the Kombucha company forgot to cite your sources.

I bought a couple bottles over the weekend and I think I had a small allergic reaction. I had some hives. The rest is going down the drain as soon as I get home.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad that you are there to help people get to the real information.

You are welcome!

Yes, I got your humor and the irony of the situation. Very typical of most of these products and those who promote them.

300 hundred? The National Library of Medicine lists around 45 and most all of them are negative. :)

I hope the fish will be OK after you pour it down the drain :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 am

geoffreylevens wrote:You may well be right though I'm not dead yet :lol: I do knowthat at local Whole Foods it is handled by the grocery dept which is different employees and sales reps from the supplement dept.

Good to hear. However, not being dead "yet" is not much of an endorsement.

Also, I am not referring to the employees of whole foods but the companies that manufacturer and distribute the product. They are the same as the ones who sell the supplements and are a proven poorly regulated industry with poor quality controls.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I really like the taste of fermented foods. That's why I bought the Kombucha drink.

Is there a thread that discussed fermented foods in general? I've thought about making my own sauerkraut or other fermented vegetables. Are they good for pro biotic purposes?
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

HealthFreak wrote:I really like the taste of fermented foods. That's why I bought the Kombucha drink.

Is there a thread that discussed fermented foods in general? I've thought about making my own sauerkraut or other fermented vegetables. Are they good for pro biotic purposes?

Here is a full thread on pro-biotics. Under normal healthy situations and diet, the body makes all the healthy bacteria it needs.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52144

While I would not disagree with you and think fermented "foods" can be part of a healthy diet, one of the problems with Kombucha is that it is not a "food" and what may apply to fermented foods may not apply equally to kombucha.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Kombucha

Postby JeffN » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Kombucha-Induced Liver Injury
The American Journal of Gastroenterology: October 2021 - Volume 116 - Issue - p S1107
doi: 10.14309/01.ajg.0000784080.78245.4a

https://journals.lww.com/ajg/pages/arti ... e=Fulltext

Introduction:

Kombucha is a beverage prepared from the cultures of bacteria and yeast, which has described hepatoprotective properties.1 There are few cases in which hepatotoxicity has been described.2 We present a rare case of kombucha induced liver injury.

Case Description/Methods:

A healthy 33-year-old female presented to urgent care with cervical lymphadenopathy, rash, and fever to 102F. She tested negative for COVID-19, streptococcus, and mononucleosis. One week later, she developed abdominal pain and jaundice, prompting her presentation to the emergency department. Here, labs showed an AST 223 IU/L, ALT 270 IU/L, ALP 713 IU/L, total bilirubin 11.4 mg/dL (direct 7.7 mg/dL), albumin 2.6 g/dL, GGTP 202 IU/L, and normal coagulation studies. Infectious work-up including hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E, CMV, EBV, HIV, stool ova and parasites, and blood cultures which were all negative. Additional metabolic and immunologic workup was all negative. Abdominal ultrasound showed no evidence of biliary ductal dilatation or obstruction, and MRCP was normal. Liver biopsy is depicted in image 1. She reported consuming 12 ounces of kombucha daily for 5 months prior to presentation, and denied prescription, over the counter, and herbal medications. She was advised to abstain from kombucha, which resulted in resolution of her liver injury.

Discussion:

In the absence of serologic, radiographic, and histologic evidence of autoimmune hepatitis, viral or parasitic infection, obstructive pathology, and resolution of liver enzymes with cessation of imbibement, Kombucha induced liver toxicity was diagnosed as the reason for cholestatic jaundice. Her RUCAM score of 7 suggests a “probable” causality of kombucha ingestion as the etiology of liver injury.3 We present this case to enhance awareness of potential hepatotoxicity from kombucha and to encourage research into the mechanism by which this beverage can cause hepatotoxicity.
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD