A List of Safe Restaurants

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A List of Safe Restaurants

Postby JeffN » Tue May 17, 2011 7:58 am

It depends on the Store Manager

We are working closely with the Oakland store as it will be one of the stores we test the Wellness Clubs in. There are 5 stores being tested this year and if they are a success, there will be many more next year.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby ETeSelle » Tue May 17, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, I think in CA they are more down w/ the oil-free thing. Not here in TN. I haven't seen a THING on their hot bar or their premade salads that didn't contain oil. :-( And the sushi at mine is just NASTY. I got it once and it had this sticky dressing in it (which contained oil--I knew it when I got it b/c I read the label but I was desperate, LOL). But then it wasn't just not on plan--it also tasted bad--I couldn't even finish it! So never again. I did check to see if they had any w/out that dressing and they didn't. What the heck is wrong w/ real vegan sushi?? Just veggies and rice and nori! <sigh>
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby somnolent » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

JeffN wrote:We are working closely with the Oakland store...

No wonder!

JeffN wrote:...as it will be one of the stores we test the Wellness Clubs in.

Can you give us more information about the Wellness Clubs?
somnolent

Postby JeffN » Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 pm

somnolent wrote:
JeffN wrote:...as it will be one of the stores we test the Wellness Clubs in.

Can you give us more information about the Wellness Clubs?

Sure.

We are opening 5 Wellness Clubs this year. The club will work similar to a gym where there will be an initiation fee and a monthly membership fee.

The clubs will be within the Whole Foods and a separate space. In the "club" there will be an ongoing schedule every day and evening of classes, workshops, lectures, cooking demo's etc. There will also be 3 day immersions run in the Wellness Clubs. In two of the stores we will also be looking at possibly testing having a p/t Lifestyle Medical doctor there, who will be a consultant.

The WC Members will also have a discount card that will give them 10% on all items approved by the WC in the store. While this is a huge project and every region is different, we have already identified over 4K items that will be discounted. All these items will have passed the WC guidelines for saturated fat, added sugars, added sodium, calorie density, etc. These same guidelines will be applied to grocery items, prepared foods and the bakery and the salad bar.

We are also working on lining up community affiliates who will accept your membership and offer discounts. These may include gyms, yoga studio's, health care professionals, etc etc.

If all goes well and the first 5 are successful, many more will be opening in 2012.

The revolution has begun. Get ready to join in :)

http://whrefresh.com/2011/02/11/whole-f ... ess-clubs/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue May 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Wow how exciting....I'm looking forward to being a part of it all.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby somnolent » Tue May 17, 2011 7:22 pm

JeffN, that sounds fantastic!
somnolent

Postby ETeSelle » Wed May 18, 2011 7:56 am

Who is "we," Jeff? Dr. McDougall et al? Or some other group?
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby JeffN » Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 am

ETeSelle wrote:Who is "we," Jeff? Dr. McDougall et al? Or some other group?

We is Whole Foods and also the Wellness Club team, which is made up of myself, Dr Matt Lederman, Dr Alona Pulda and a few others.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby ETeSelle » Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 am

So is WF planning to extend this nationwide? Will my WF improve? I shop there almost never, in part b/c the parking is a nightmare, but mostly b/c it's SOOO expensive and I don't see that I get anything better there than I do at Publix or TJ's for less $$. If they were trying a little harder I might, though!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby MTeehan » Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 am

Just a side note: I KNOW it's not safe or advisable to ever go into McDonalds but I was stuck in Maui with an hour to kill and I was STARVING. I didn't have a car and McDonalds was the only place around. I went in and asked the clerk if there was ANY dairy in the oatmeal. I got the 'blankest' look I've ever received from another human being. Finally she said there was 'dairy cream' on 'top'. So, I asked if they could leave off the 'dairy cream'. Again: BLANK OUT. I asked several times and received no response so I asked for a manager. Not much better. ....sigh..... Finally I said, LOUDLY so all could hear, ' I'm allergic to dairy and if you put even a drop of dairy on my oatmeal I will convulse and drop dead right in the middle of the store'. The manager asked me to leave. I did. I was still hungry but VERY satisfied. .....sigh.........
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Postby blondie » Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 am

:lol: Haha -- I've eaten McD oatmeal once -- you didn't miss anything! Loved your talk to the VSH, Mike, thanks for sharing!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby frozenveg » Fri May 20, 2011 7:22 am

Oh Mike, how horrible for you at the time, but that is a hysterical story! I love the blank looks! So you couldn't get the oatmeal without dairy!! Just confirms my suspicion about the whole oatmeal push at McD's!!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ETeSelle » Fri May 20, 2011 11:38 am

Great story!

And it really is a commentary on the State of the World that the clerk used the phrase "dairy cream." I.e., as opposed to the non-dairy (full of trans fats) kind. :eek:

I think you are lucky you missed out on it, Mike, either way!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby MTeehan » Sat May 21, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks, guys. If only there were a McDougall's on every corner instead of a McDonalds. Funny, my mom's maiden name is McDonald. I always tease her that she is an 'heir' to the empire! Unfortunately her siblngs got the money and we got the 'results'. If you know what I mean! BUT, i walked away from my inheritance and luckily found Dr. John!!!!!!!
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Postby macfarmw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm

In Houston we have Ghengis Grill. You can pick all you veggies and tofu if you want. They will cook on a vegetarian grill and use no oil if you tell them. They also have brown rice. There are several sauces you can pick but I don't know if they have oil or not. You could skip the sauce and just add the dry seasonings they have.
Matthew
macfarmw

PreviousNext

Return to Jeff Novick, RD