Why does CR work ?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Why does CR work ?

Postby RawDad » Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 pm

@ Frozenveg - mucus - yes - coughing it up - feeling in chest..etc.

This may be unique to my current condition - I cannot be sure. Several other "raw foodies" have similar experiences - especially with grains and white potatoes. I am not sure what makes it happen.

If I greatly reduce starch the problem is minimized.

There is also an unmistakable "FOG" I get in my head after eating a heavy starch meal (like a bowl of oatmeal or a couple of baked potatoes).... Im not sure what causes this - but am guessing an elevation in blood sugar? I can REALLY bring the fog if I mix fat into the equation.... (a smoothie with flax compounds it tremendously).

Interestingly - starch brings it on worse than fruit - I did not suspect that would be possible (again Im not sure what really causes it) - am guessing blood sugar????

Also - when I have had my blood sugar tested - along with lipids - this past time (JEFF DONT LOOK ;~) - 2 hours after a lunch of 12 bananas and a salad) my glucose was 78 and triglycerides were 113.

My current plan is to eat more greens - being sure to add a nutrient dense bean soup to lunch and dinner (will have a small amount of rice in it) - and continue to keep fat pretty low. I intend to add ground flax/chia to my salads.
RawDad

Postby JeffN » Mon May 30, 2011 1:10 pm

RawDad wrote:@ Rob - yes - starch based understood. However, it seems there is a lean (atleast on this forum) towards CR and logically this means consuming less starch.

I have watched the starch solution vid - thanks.

I tend to agree with Jeff (and Fuhrman) on this point - the more nutrient dense the diet the better it becomes.

I have never said that. I have said that the more the % of CR goes up the more important nutrient density becomes.

However, as I have said here often, IMH(P&P)O, the MWL program & my calorie density & fast food DVD are both my recommendations for CR & are starch based. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby RawDad » Mon May 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Fair enough Jeff .. apologies for jumping to conclusions.
RawDad

Postby RawDad » Mon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

BTW... I am in no way bashing the starch diet - I think it works wonders and applaud those to have implemented with success.

Just reporting how I seem to do with it - likely will have better luck the more I heal.
RawDad

Postby JeffN » Mon May 30, 2011 3:02 pm

RawDad wrote:Fair enough Jeff .. apologies for jumping to conclusions.

No problem

Just trying to keep things clear ;)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby cbs » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm

RD just curious, if 811RV works better for you why are you over here to begin with? My dr told me I had to change SOON for my own health. I didnt have to eat more or sleep more or exercise more and saved a bunch of money. I changed based upon relevant research proven on humans over time rather then pigs or rats nor just anecdotal evidence over the internet or in books. And then based upon my blood work. Too many raw foodists after 5-10 years seem to end up with many issues and turn to animal products or have to add many supplements or cooked. I have been and hope to always be vegan so I would rather do what is HEALTHY as a vegan then maintain any label. Thats proof enough for me that maybe that isnt the holier then thou ideal diet for all. I made a stew based upon Jeffs SNAP ideas. Then I wondered how restauarants stayed in business because this was so cheap and easy and satisfying and MUCH better then I remember any restaurant food I had had and I laughed why do people have health/weight problems and need support for "cravings" lol?
cbs

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD