Extra Virgin Olive Oil

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Postby David91 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello Jeff,

I currently saw the film "Forks over Knives," which i found very informative and helpful in achieving a healthier lifestyle. I did notice one thing from the film that did shed much information on, which was the facts about extra virgin olive oil. I heard and read from numerous articles and people that olive oil is in fact healthy, good for the heart and has numerous other benefits, but i also heard the opposite.
Would you be able to inform me on the benefits and risks of extra virgin olive oil.

Thank you for your time,
David
David91

Re: Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Here is a snippet of a recent conversation with someone involved in the industry who contacted me to discuss my view.

Also, just to clarify, my concerns about OO are more than MUFA and exist regardless of whether it is EVOO or not.

They are

1) the extremely high calorie density (4000 cal/lb which is the highest of any food)
2) the poor nutrient density (almost zero based on known nutrients and accepted levels)
3) the level of saturated fat (14%)
4) the poor source of omega 3's (.1 gram per TB)
5) the poor ratio of omega 6/3 (14/1)
6) the concerns of MUFA being pro-atherogenic

Regards

In addition, there are many threads listed in the Hot Topics in this forum and on the main page, on the topic.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD