The WHO New Recommendations for Added Sugar Intake Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

The WHO New Recommendations for Added Sugar Intake Redux

Postby hazelrah » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:39 am

Between this and the carcenogenic categorization of meat, when I first read this I thought they must have been using you as their cheat sheet. That would be the good news.

The fact that it took them 2 decades to read it seems like the bad news.

But how strange that all this is coming from WHO and none from U.S. agencies.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: The WHO New Recommendations for Added Sugar Intake Redux

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 am

hazelrah wrote:Between this and the carcenogenic categorization of meat, when I first read this I thought they must have been using you as their cheat sheet. That would be the good news.

Thanks.

Check out my comments in this post... :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41862#p430626

hazelrah wrote:
But how strange that all this is coming from WHO and none from U.S. agencies.

Mark

The American Heart Association & the American Institute for Cancer Research are coming close and many others are moving in the direction including the cancer organizations.

The AHA lowered the recommended intake of saturated fat from 7% to 5-6%. They also lowered the recommend intake of added sugars to ~5% of calories.

Their recommended intake of sodium is still <1500 for at risk population groups (which is most people) and 2400 for all others.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/ear ... 06.d1.long

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:58 am

JeffN wrote:
Check out my comments in this post... :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41862#p430626

Thanks. I missed that the first time around.

Is it really that annoying; being proven right?

Now if we can just get health insurers to charge based upon the level of risk by lifestyle, the rest will take care of itself. Unfortunately it seems we are headed in the other direction on that front. but just getting the medical community to agree on what constitutes a best lifestyle will be needed before the food industry can develop a strategy to circumvent it.(or maybe not, I guess it's not that hard. Even when they knew what they needed to do, people told Pritikin they would not follow the diet, right? )

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 pm

hazelrah wrote:

No.

It was said, tongue-in-cheek.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:59 pm

JeffN wrote:
hazelrah wrote:

No.

It was said, tongue-in-cheek.

In Health
Jeff

And now, another one :)

From 1995-1998, I created & implemented a WFPB/Vegan Nutrition Curriculum for Family Practice Residents, MD's & Med Students.

http://www.beyondveg.com/novick-j/nutri ... ns-1.shtml

Good to see this **finally** becoming more mainstream.

Maine Medical School turns to plant-based dietary medicine to help stop problems before they start
"The two-year residency program is designed to teach aspiring doctors about the medical benefits of a plant-based diet."

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/04/13/v ... t-of-food/

Maybe time to retire :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:31 pm

JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

How about when I reach 100? If you retire much before then I won't make it.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:20 am

hazelrah wrote:
JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

How about when I reach 100? If you retire much before then I won't make it.

Mark

Sure.

When I started teaching nutrition almost 30 years ago, my **radical** guidelines included...

- average daily dietary calorie density </= 700 cal/lb
- saturated fat </= 5% of calories
- added sodium intake </= 1500 mg
- added sugars </= 5% of calories & fruit juice counts as added sugar
- to teach WFPB nutrition to medical doctors
(from 1995 to 1998 I created, implemented and taught a WFPB/Vegan Nutrition Curriculum to FP Residents, MD's and Medical Students that was a required part of the residency.)

All of these are now mainstream
- AICR recommends average calorie density to be 567 cal/lb*
- AHA/ACC recommends 5-6% of calories from saturated fat**
- AHA/ACC/IOM recommends limiting sodium to <1500 mg**
- WHO/PHE/AHA recommend limiting added sugars to <5% of calories & fruit juice counts as an added sugar***
- There are now several medical programs offering residency programs and/or curriculums in Plant based nutrition****

*World Cancer Research Fund / American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington, DC: AICR, 2007
http://www.wcrf.org/sites/default/files/english.pdf

**2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk
Practice Guideline | July 2014
A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines
http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.a ... 70218#tab1

*** 1) Independent Report
SACN Carbohydrates and Health Report
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition recommendations on carbohydrates, including sugars and fibre
Public Health England
17 July 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... lth-report

***2) Full Report - Sugars intake for adult and children
Guideline
Authors: World Health Organization
4 MARCH 2015
GENEVA
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1066 ... g.pdf?ua=1

**** 1) American College of Preventive Medicine Lifestyle Medicine Curriculum
http://www.acpm.org/?page=LifestyleMedicine

****2) Maine Med’s integrative medicine department
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/04/13/v ... t-of-food/

I hate to say it but..... I told you so!! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:11 am

JeffN wrote:
When I started teaching nutrition almost 30 years ago, my **radical** guidelines included...

(from 1995 to 1998 I created, implemented and taught a WFPB/Vegan Nutrition Curriculum to FP Residents, MD's and Medical Students that was a required part of the residency.)

I really like this list. Did you write it down before you started in with Pritikin?

I've been trying to quit, "Coasting to retirement," ( as my therapist used to call it) and apply for the MPH program at Berkeley. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go home and study for the GREs, but, when I get there, that promise seems to have been left on the train. It's so hard becoming a schoolboy at 60. A simple list of Goals like this seems like it might be a way to stay on track.

Thanks again.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:31 am

hazel rah wrote: Did you write it down before you started in with Pritikin?.

It has been in my writings, talks and recommendations since around 1987, with some minor modifications along the way.

hazel rah wrote: I've been trying to quit, "Coasting to retirement," ( as my therapist used to call it) and apply for the MPH program at Berkeley. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go home and study for the GREs, but, when I get there, that promise seems to have been left on the train. It's so hard becoming a schoolboy at 60. A simple list of Goals like this seems like it might be a way to stay on track.

When I made the decision to go back, I was on a mission and highly motivated with some very clear goals.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:57 pm

JeffN wrote:
When I made the decision to go back, I was on a mission and highly motivated with some very clear goals.

Yeah, that's the problem for me, things are not bad enough for me to get worked up about. I've already achieved most of the goals I wanted to achieve in life. But the prospect of continuing with mind-numbingly tedious computer development work after 40 years should be enough to frighten me into action. When I got back into health insurance in 2010, there was so much buzz about the looming catastrophe of health care costs that I was sure I'd be working like mad to get people as healthy as possible. There's a lot that statistics can do to help with that, using predictive modeling and the like. Nobody was talking about that at all. I slowly became aware that there is no impulse to make people healthy, just to make sure they can continue the vicious cycle of poor lifestyles and expensive medical care, and perhaps to frighten them into being sure they are never without health insurance. There's some nominal stuff, like reducing premiums for people that meet marginal health criteria, but the lion's share goes into controlling what providers are charging and trying to out maneuver the other health plans. The ACA, itself is dedicated to making sure there are no tiers in terms of risk, so the exchange plans are charging the same price for somebody who is strenuously controlling his diet, and exercising as for somebody who is smoking filterless camels, eating hotdog & cheese stuffed pepperoni pizzas, and binge watching Angry Housewives of Boca Raton all day. So I am getting a bit better at defining the clear goals and trying to formulate the actions I have to take to feel like I've achieved them, but I'm a bit less enthusiastic than I was 40 years ago, too. It's hard enough to keep myself in line without worrying about a broader goal. But I also had this strange sensation last year that anything I accomplish in terms of career is going to have to be done in a 10 year horizon or it will be too late. It felt a bit like waiting until the week before finals to study for the big exam. That may light a bit of a fire, but I imagine it's definitely nothing like where you were in the late 80's. It's bit like what you said in the other thread. Every field has people who approach their disciplines with integrity. It's important to look back at a life that you've devoted to that integrity. But it doesn't have the immediacy of figuring out how you're going to buy food or pay the rent. At this age I'm not sure I could handle being that far down Maslow's pyramid. I don't know for sure, but I sense I'm not as disenchanted with the whole scene as you were when you were at the food companies.

Thanks again for your input.

Mark
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:49 am

JeffN wrote:When I started teaching nutrition almost 30 years ago, my **radical** guidelines included...

All of these are now mainstream
- AICR recommends average calorie density to be 567 cal/lb*
- AHA/ACC recommends 5-6% of calories from saturated fat**
- AHA/ACC/IOM recommends limiting sodium to <1500 mg**
- WHO/PHE/AHA recommend limiting added sugars to <5% of calories & fruit juice counts as an added sugar***
- There are now several medical programs offering residency programs and/or curriculums in Plant based nutrition****

Circulation
AHA SCIENTIFIC STATEMENT
2021 Dietary Guidance to Improve Cardiovascular Health: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161 ... 0000001031

“Abstract
Poor diet quality is strongly associated with elevated risk of cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality. This scientific statement emphasizes the importance of dietary patterns beyond individual foods or nutrients, underscores the critical role of nutrition early in life, presents elements of heart-healthy dietary patterns, and highlights structural challenges that impede adherence to heart-healthy dietary patterns. Evidence-based dietary pattern guidance to promote cardiometabolic health includes the following: (1) adjust energy intake and expenditure to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight; (2) eat plenty and a variety of fruits and vegetables; (3) choose whole grain foods and products; (4) choose healthy sources of protein (mostly plants; regular intake of fish and seafood; low-fat or fat-free dairy products; and if meat or poultry is desired, choose lean cuts and unprocessed forms); (5) use liquid plant oils rather than tropical oils and partially hydrogenated fats; (6) choose minimally processed foods instead of ultra-processed foods; (7) minimize the intake of beverages and foods with added sugars; (8) choose and prepare foods with little or no salt; (9) if you do not drink alcohol, do not start; if you choose to drink alcohol, limit intake; and (10) adhere to this guidance regardless of where food is prepared or consumed. Challenges that impede adherence to heart-healthy dietary patterns include targeted marketing of unhealthy foods, neighborhood segregation, food and nutrition insecurity, and structural racism. Creating an environment that facilitates, rather than impedes, adherence to heart-healthy dietary patterns among all individuals is a public health imperative.”

Not perfect, but compared to what they were 40 years ago, not bad and getting better.

What is really ironic in this is that when Dr Ornish published his first study on reversing heart disease, the AHA diet was the control group. While the Ornish diet showed reversal, the AHA “control” diet show progression, though a slowing of the rare of progression. Today, the AHA guidelines are very close to what the Ornish “experimental” diet was and of course, very close to the therapeutic version of a WFPB diet.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD