Panic Disorder and GAD question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Panic Disorder and GAD question

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 pm

I have panic disorder and GAD. I have been on benzos almost 3 decades. I was on xanax for 8 years, switched to klonopin for 11 years due to tolerance to xanax, and for the last 7 or 8 years, I have been on valium due to klonopin tolerance. I was only taking 5 mgs / day and refused to take anymore. Now, I have become tolerant to all benzos and I was forced to withdraw from the valium. I saw a webinar on 09/08/16 with Dr. Doug Lisle: Anxiety and Panic Attacks with Moderator, Gustavo Tolosa, DMA and found it interesting. What does DMA stand for btw? I basically cold turkied the valium. I tried to taper but the drug simply was having no effect and making SX's worse. I have been off valium for 2 weeks now. I have been on a McDougall WFPB diet for several years now so this post does not have anything to do with diet that much. My question is how long after you stop taking these drugs before I can expect to start to feel a little better? Will I ever feel any better? Have I done permanent damage to my brain? I have read books by both Dr. Breggin and Robert Whitaker. Dr. Lisle says in the webinar diet really has nothing to do with these type disorders. Am I doing damage to my heart and other organs due to the stress this disorder causes? Should I try going back on the benzos if I never start to feel any better? I am now depressed and have very low sex drive or interest. Will all or any of this ever start to improve and how long does it take after you stop taking these drugs? Maybe, I will never feel normal again. IDK, but I sure hope not. Any feedback from anyone is appreciated.

Thank You--
Poison Ivy

Return to Jeff Novick, RD