People and non-compliance

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

People and non-compliance

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 am

I have a co-worker with Lyme disease who also suffers from migraines. She regularly misses work due to her health issues. Years ago she did an employer-sponsored Engine 2 immersion program, but she does not follow this way of eating. She has food restrictions, but I'm not sure if they are medically warranted or self-imposed. Just yesterday she told me how she is going to try a ketogenic diet because she needs to lose 40 lbs.

Why is it that someone with health issues who has been presented the information and is in a supportive work environment still end up overweight and eating chicken?

Is not fully incorporating the program, and then not seeing results, part of the issue? What other factors are at play?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: People and non-compliance

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 am

Lyndzie wrote:I have a co-worker with Lyme disease who also suffers from migraines. She regularly misses work due to her health issues. Years ago she did an employer-sponsored Engine 2 immersion program, but she does not follow this way of eating. She has food restrictions, but I'm not sure if they are medically warranted or self-imposed. Just yesterday she told me how she is going to try a ketogenic diet because she needs to lose 40 lbs.

Why is it that someone with health issues who has been presented the information and is in a supportive work environment still end up overweight and eating chicken?

Is not fully incorporating the program, and then not seeing results, part of the issue? What other factors are at play?

The program we teach is very simple but doing it in this toxic environments is very (very) hard. Therefore, the compliance rates for this are very low. We have people come to us with a foot in the grave, spent a fortune, take a huge amount of time out of their life and travel around the world. Yet, they are unable to comply.

We are greatly influenced by our environments and the social, cultural, emotional and psychological pressures we feel. In many ways, this is a solitary journey. Until we change the environment, compliance will be extremely difficult.

I have a nephew (in law) who just married my niece. They are in their early 30's and just had a baby 4 months ago. Yesterday he was in ICU with a heart attack and they put a stent in him. I can't think of anyone else in any better situation to be motivated to change. New wife, new baby, new life, new career, new house, etc. Unfortunately, and sadly, the odds are less than 1% that he will make the necessary changes.

At the current 10-Day program we had a return guest who is in his early 50's and over the last 4 years has done remarkable and we have become good friends. . His best friend who is about 49, was hospitalized in January with diabetes and open sores on his toe. They ended up amputating his toe. My friend tried to help him. He wouldn't listen. Two months later, he was in the ICU with infections on his leg. They amputated the leg above his knee. Again, my friend tried to help, even set up a visit to a program and was willing to pay for it for him. Spent lots of time with him encouraging him to do this and that he would help. His friend didn't go. A few weeks ago he was back in ICU with the other leg infected. They were about to amputate it over the knee. They never got to as he died about 2 weeks ago in the ICU. Young, married, kids, future yet couldn't do it.

On Compliance

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44133

When we discover this, we all want to change the world but eventually through hard knocks learn, the world doesn't want to be changed.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:18 pm

That story is just heartbreaking. It is so sad to see people we care about fall victim to preventable illness and injury.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby smudgemom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:02 am

Jeff: So sorry to hear about your nephew-in-law. Thoughts are with you & your extended family.
smudgemom

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks

Today on FB he announced he is going vegan for health reasons.

We will see.

In Health
Jeff

PS If he reaches out to me, I will offer to help. They all know what I do. He also knows that my sister is both a doctor and a health conscious vegan for ~3 decades
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:39 am

I think Jim's post in the compliance thread in the Lounge is worth reposting here..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56328&p=568600&sid=41b42cb73188c85ac4ef95040e28ebcc#p568555

f1jim wrote:One must come to terms with the addictive nature of modern "foods" around us. Will power cannot be the only tool in our toolbox. We have to be willing to go through the transition period modern foods require. We have to be willing to go through the psychological battles with family and friends. Chumly has it absolutely perfect. If any of those pieces are not in place we will struggle mightly.
I strongly advise ignoring advice that comes from someone that has been only doing this for a short time. Don't bother with anyone that has been struggling for years and years and is still struggling. They don't have all the pieces in place. Follow those that do no matter how much others will slap you on the back and tell you you are doing great. Just as we don't want food that only satisfies for a few moments but does us harm in the long run, so too it is with dietary advice. Our nutritional gurus should always be those long term leaders like Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Ornish, Jeff Novick, and many others that have stood the test of time with an unbroken record of success and accomplishment. Much of the advice in our world, yes even here on these boards is highly suspect. This isn't a popularity contest. It's a longevity contest and the winners all have a handful of things in common. Learn those things and eating this way isn't a fight anymore. Anyone that says it is has a few pieces of the puzzle to still put in place.
Making this a lifestyle is our goal. Anything less is making this a lifelong struggle. Want evidence? Study those that have been journaling for years and are still struggling. The truth is if we jump ahead several years they will still be struggling. Why? Don't they want good health and weight? Sure they do. But you have to be willing to do EVERYTHING to make this a permanent lifestyle. A lifestyle that's 24/7. Its everyday of the week, not just Monday through Friday.

Most people won't do that. Most people on these forums won't do that. Only a select number of people are willing to make this their 24/7 lifestyle. Show me your cupboards and shelves. That would be good evidence of a permanent lifestyle change.
Show me where you eat out. That would be good evidence of a lifestyle change.
There is a reason Dr. McDougall lists out how to accomplish this change. Many think they have a better way. Most fool themselves. Some get away with it. Others don't. I can't. The only thing keeping me alive is this way of eating. It's much harder when you don't have that sword hanging over your head but the process is the same for all of us. Live and breath it 24/7 and you will benefit 24/7
okay, I'm down off the soapbox. Return to your regularly scheduled program.
f1jim
JeffN

Postby nicoles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Jeff, I am very sorry to learn of your nephew's heart attack. I hope he is doing ok now. How very sad.

This may be the first time in the 7+ years I've been doing this that I have really appreciated what those of us who eat this way, or even close to this way, are up against. I have regarded it as a personal failing that most people in my life do not in any way have an interest in what I have been doing (beyond a temporary interest in weight loss). And those who do, only are interested or compliant for a short time, then revert, often to their great peril (advanced diabetes, heart disease, cancer).

I just figured I wasn't doing a good job relaying the information, or I was being too annoying somehow, (though I probably was at least a bit annoying.) It's really, really challenging. Wow. Very sad and sobering.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 am

Jeff, I am glad that I read this thread, I am one of those who have been posting for a couples years now and am still struggling with making this way a permanent lifestyle change. Reading Jim's post on compliance has been helpful for me to realize that so far I have not been willing to do EVERYTHING to make this a permanent lifestyle change. I do many things, but not all.

It was just a good read for me to realize why I am still struggling to get with it.

Thank you for all you do and I am so sorry to read about your nephew.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby JeffN » Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 am

I thought you might all enjoy this

So my older brother, who I am very close with, has always said he is on the see-food diet because when he sees food, he eats it. When younger, he was very active, fit, at a healthy weight and stayed that way until about 15 years ago when he put on a lot of weigh and was on multiple medications. Same for his wife who used to be tiny. He knows what I do, how I live etc. It is just not a topic we don’t discuss.

He recently texted me to say he and his wife have each lost about 40 lbs (they are both around 5 ft) by doing Keto.

I said, congratulations. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Yomom » Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

:-( :shock:
Yomom

Postby debknott » Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am

Gracious response to your brother's weight loss news, Jeff. Good for you. You can only tell people the truth. You can't make them believe it.
debknott

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

Oh my goodness. I’m speechless!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jobet » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Oh my, Jeff! I do hope they accept truth at some point and join you in a healthy lifestyle.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Skip » Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 am

Why is it that intelligent people, when offered with the WFPB science, reject it and continue to eat animal products and other crap?

1) People resist change?
2) Influence of cultural factors
3) Corporations feed on our cravings for SOS and produce addictive products which we become addicted to?
4) People have a bias against science that doesn't affirm their eating beliefs/habits (true for us too?)?
5) It takes decades before science becomes accepted (for example, harmful affects of smoking) and even then people can't break their addictions
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby dynodan62 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:59 am

Unfortunately, intelligence & self-destructive behavior are not necessarily exclusive. Why do well educated/intelligent smokers who contract lung cancer sometimes continue to smoke? Why do intelligent alcoholics who suffer from cirrhosis continue to drink, or heart attack survivors (who then become well-informed re: WFPB nutritional science) regress and sometimes go ‘off the rails’ and gorge on pizza or burgers? Go figure. Underlying (repressed) depression?
dynodan62

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD