I’m cutting down on oil.

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I’m cutting down on oil.

Postby Golden Ghost » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Jeff, after reading on oil for a couple of months your thread made more sense than anything else I’ve read. So I’m giving up oil. I stopped cooking with it and went out and bought some oil free dressing.
Now what about my natural peanut butter sandwiches I eat for lunch and my avocados? I eat a lot of both of these. Do I need to cut them out? I have not weight problem. My cholesterol is 142 and my LDL is 72
Golden Ghost

Re: I’m cutting down on oil.

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:44 am

Golden Ghost wrote:Jeff, after reading on oil for a couple of months your thread made more sense than anything else I’ve read. So I’m giving up oil. I stopped cooking with it and went out and bought some oil free dressing.
Now what about my natural peanut butter sandwiches I eat for lunch and my avocados? I eat a lot of both of these. Do I need to cut them out? I have not weight problem. My cholesterol is 142 and my LDL is 72

Greetings,

Congrats on going oil free. My hope is that one day we will all see oil for what it really is, a highly refined, highly processed, extracted, unbalanced food product. It is not a health food.

I am not going to argue with someone who is healthy, has no weight problem and all their numbers are excellent, about their dietary choices as long as all of that is being down naturally and not with medications. However, it would be important to see/know your whole health/medical picture before I could make an absolute personal recommendation.

Just understand that nut butters, bread and avocados are all calorie dense and to put them all together in one meal, makes the meal very calorie dense. The problem with that, for many people (maybe not you) is that it provides a lot of calories for a small amount of food (by weight) and may not fill you up as much as other foods, for the same calories. So, if someone was to have a weight problem, I would recommend against consuming a high calorie dense meal.

You can lower the calorie density of such a meal, but adding in foods lower in calorie density, like fruits and veggies, starchy veggies and whole intact grains. So adding in a salad, or some veggies and/or fruits will help lower the overall calorie density of the meal and increase the amount of food you get, increasing the satiety. Even adding some sliced bananas and/or strawberries to your sandwich will help.

These recommendations will all also increase the nutrient density of your food choices.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby Golden Ghost » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks Jeff. I use to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an avocado almost everyday. Now I eat either one or the other and a large salad with oil free dressing. So I have even cut down on that. I know that is calorie dense but it seams like I eat all day anyway.
I work out about four hours per week which is not a whole lot but probably eat well over 3,000 calories per day. I read an article by Carl Lewis and he said Dr. M. told him if he felt weak or tired to just eat more as long as it’s the right food. So that’s what I do. I’m 6’4” and 180.
I was just worried that the oil in those two items was bad oil. If not, I will still try to reduce it. Thanks again.
Golden Ghost

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 am

Golden Ghost wrote:Thanks Jeff. I use to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an avocado almost everyday. Now I eat either one or the other and a large salad with oil free dressing. So I have even cut down on that. I know that is calorie dense but it seams like I eat all day anyway.
I work out about four hours per week which is not a whole lot but probably eat well over 3,000 calories per day. I read an article by Carl Lewis and he said Dr. M. told him if he felt weak or tired to just eat more as long as it’s the right food. So that’s what I do. I’m 6’4” and 180.
I was just worried that the oil in those two items was bad oil. If not, I will still try to reduce it. Thanks again.

All foods have a mixed percentage of all fats, poly, mono and saturated. The naturally occurring fat in those foods is mostly mono and poly with very little saturated. So, they would not be classified as "bad".

I am more interested in having people understand the principles, then managing or even micromanaging anyones intake.

So, as long as you understand it all and it is all workign for you, then keep doing what works. :)

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD