Increased BP

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Increased BP

Postby zeuxia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Jeff,

I went to the doctor two weeks ago and my blood pressure was 110/65. Normally it is in the 100s over 60s and sometimes it may even drop into 90s/50s, however the other day I went to the dentist and it was 127/75. I was completely surprised, especially since I've been very good about what i've been eating lately. I thought perhaps it was "white coat syndrome" since I was at the dentist, but then at school I had a friend take it and it was again in the 120s/70s. What could cause this increase? I have been going through a lot of stress lately with nursing school and work, but I didn't think stress could raise it so high. I also quit drinking coffee so maybe there was some hypovolemia involved with it being lower in the first place? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnIe9aF/]
[/url]
zeuxia

It varies

Postby Purdy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Blood pressure jumps all over the place. ALL of your numbers are just fine in the normal course of a day for a person with excellent blood pressure.

My BP is normally low like yours is. Similar numbers as you have told about.
From the low 90's to the high 120's........at various times during the day.
I've even noticed when I get cold that it will climb into the 130's which I just learned after seeing it do that is a natural reaction... I mean very cold.
Kind of scared me because mine is so low normally..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 124018.htm

BTW, when I notice myself being very cold and the BP goes into the 130's and even to 140, my pulse goes down to the low 40's.....like 41 or 42.
Then I take my temperature and it will be about 95.8 or 96.0.........
A warm shower will bring everything back to normal.

Anyway, if you don't have a BP monitor you might get one. Then you'd see that then numbers you mention can all be part of a normal range for a person with very good blood pressure.
Don't start looking for things in your diet to explain what are completely normal variations.
Purdy

Postby zeuxia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'm 25 and in good health, so I know I don't have to worry about prehypertension or anything, but I always prided myself on having low BP and then it skyrocketed! Very odd when eating McDougall-style. I also had a slight case of the flu last week, and maybe that increased it a bit, too?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnIe9aF/]
[/url]
zeuxia

Re: Increased BP

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:29 am

zeuxia wrote:What could cause this increase? I have been going through a lot of stress lately with nursing school and work, but I didn't think stress could raise it so high. I also quit drinking coffee so maybe there was some hypovolemia involved with it being lower in the first place? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

I do not know the answer to your question as there are many variables. And, there is never just "one" reading as BP fluctuates throughout the day. This is why to formally diagnose someone as having HTN, they must have at least 3 consecutive elevated readings.

Stress, and coffee can effect BP but the effect is usually small and transient.

The best way to check your BP is at home after resting and relaxing for 5 minutes.

Perhaps you may want to do that and see what it is.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD