Elimination Diet Question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Elimination Diet Question

Postby lfwfv » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am pursuing a very simple elimination diet to try to resolve some autoimmune diseases (I have been whole food, low fat, plant based for over a decade...mostly SOS free as well. I used to be very active on the forums, but have since been busy with my two kiddos!).

I am planning on focusing on a few cooked veggies I'm fairly sure I don't react to, and buckwheat as my primary starch.

I currently bake some squares from buckwheat flour that are literally nothing but buckwheat flour and water (480g buckwheat flour, 4 cups of water, mixed well and baked for about 35 minutes). I do this because I seem to digest them more easily than intact, cooked buckwheat, and they are convenient to make ahead and freeze.

I am very thin (BMI of 18-18.5), and have digestive/bloating issues. Is there any nutritional problems with ingesting buckwheat flour vs. the intact grain other than weight/blood sugar control issues? Is the flour (cooked in nothing other than water), the same as the raw groat (cooked in nothing than water), other than the fact that the flour is more completely/rapidly/easily digested?

many thanks!
Lfwfv
lfwfv

Return to Jeff Novick, RD