Fermented Foods

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fermented Foods

Postby Langeranger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 am

Way back when Kombucha stormed onto the scene, I bought a gadget to make my own complete with a dispenser spigot. Things were goin' great until I noticed something I couldn't identify growing in the stuff. So to the drain it went and thus ended my first career as a fermenter. (Many years later) and recently I caught the Kimchi bug and over the past few months have successfully made several batches from which I eat a couple of ounces daily.

An additional reason I gave up on Kombucha is traceable to a mention Jeff made of it essentially, as I recall, saying he would steer clear of it not trusting it to do more harm than good if one gets a bad batch. It was sufficient to scare me away from fermenting until I got the Kimchi mania.

Now I'm curious again about what Jeff Novick has to say about the whole fermentation topic. I figure I have the happiest gut microbiota west of the Missisippi but I'm still waiting for it to revolutionize my life. Thanks for all your work, Don
Langeranger

Re: Fermented Foods

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 am

My response is the same as I posted when you asked the question 3.5 years ago

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53683

The only difference is that my concerns have increased because, as you can see in the update thread on probiotics, there are many more concerns with them.

In Health
Jeffn
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD