Basic Bean Burger?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Basic Bean Burger?

Postby Quinda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:36 am

Can I use pinto beans instead of kidney beans?
Quinda

Re: Basic Bean Burger?

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 am

yes.

The recipe is a template.

You can substitute any bean for another, any starch for another, and vegetable for another, any spice for another (except salt/sugar).

The only thing I think is required is the oats, as they act as the binder.

Also, make a single batch of the basic burger the first time and follow the directions 100%. Just to get a feel for making the burger.

Here is the handout on it
https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Quinda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 am

Thank you so much Jeff. I will have a very tasty lunch. :D
Quinda

Postby Quinda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 am

It was so delicious. I made only three patties as my whole wheat bread is not buns but wide bread. I will keep the other two refrigerated and eat one for supper tonight. Cooked on NuWave cooktop on an iron griddle. I have no tomatoes and lettuce so used a little ketchup and lemon tarragon mustard. I also might toast the bread for the next one. Thanks again Jeff. You are so talented and I enjoy your videos too.
Quinda

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am

Quinda wrote:It was so delicious. I made only three patties as my whole wheat bread is not buns but wide bread. I will keep the other two refrigerated and eat one for supper tonight. Cooked on NuWave cooktop on an iron griddle. I have no tomatoes and lettuce so used a little ketchup and lemon tarragon mustard. I also might toast the bread for the next one. Thanks again Jeff. You are so talented and I enjoy your videos too.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The sweet potato curry one is my favorite. We even serve it at the 10-Day program

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Quinda » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm

I will try that one next. I have one big sweet potato left.
Quinda

Return to Jeff Novick, RD