Finding a Dr and or Nutritionist in our areas

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Finding a Dr and or Nutritionist in our areas

Postby LauraA » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 pm

If we are unable to get to a McDougall program at this time, can you recommend who we might see for medical care or help in other parts of the country? If you don't have names, could you suggest what type of medicine they would practice? I live in southern Georgia, near Savannah, but also visit New York very often. My only medical issues would be "borderline" high blood pressure, which is better on this program, and stiff knees which are somewhat better. I am 61, had a clear colonoscopy at age 60, and wonder if that should be repeated at 70- I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years - some fist and dairy for several of those years. I have routine mammograms and bone density tests, and blood work. I take no medication. I need to lose about 75 pounds. Thanks, LauraA
LauraA

Re: Finding a Dr and or Nutritionist in our areas

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 am

LauraA wrote:If we are unable to get to a McDougall program at this time, can you recommend who we might see for medical care or help in other parts of the country? If you don't have names, could you suggest what type of medicine they would practice? I live in southern Georgia, near Savannah, but also visit New York very often. My only medical issues would be "borderline" high blood pressure, which is better on this program, and stiff knees which are somewhat better. I am 61, had a clear colonoscopy at age 60, and wonder if that should be repeated at 70- I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years - some fist and dairy for several of those years. I have routine mammograms and bone density tests, and blood work. I take no medication. I need to lose about 75 pounds. Thanks, LauraA

Hi Laura,

Personally, I try to stay away from doctors. :)

However, Dr McDougall has created a database of MDs and RDs around the country so you may want to check that.

I also do not think there is any particular label (ie, holistic, intergrative, alternative, etc etc) that means anything. Many of them are just used as marketing and/or mean nothing more than they promote supplements and unproven methods of health. And many of them know absolutely nothing of what a good diet/lifestyle really is.

There is no alternative medicine, science or diet. There is only sound health supporting practices.

I would be curious as to why you want to see an MD. If it is just for a general check up, then it probably does not matter which one as they all do the same. If it is for accurate lifestyle and dietary advice and counseling, then they are very few and far between who can really help you.

In regard to HTN and to "achy" joints and to weight issues, this program is highly successful in dealing with all those issues.

In regard to a RD, here are some excerpts from an article I wrote on how to find a qualified RD. Some of the comments would also apply to finding a qualified MD

Registered dietitians in the U.S. must meet the following criteria to earn the RD credential:

* Receive a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited university or college and course work approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education of the American Dietetic Association (ADA).

* Complete a CADE-accredited supervised practice program at a health-care facility, community agency or a foodservice corporation or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies. Typically, a practice program will run six to 12 months in length.

* Pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.

* Complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.

They should also have ompleted advanced training and hold graduate degrees in their fields.

One convenient way to find a bona fide RD on the homefront is to go online to the American Dietetic Association (www.eatright.org) and click on the link “Find a Nutrition Professional.” There you can type in your zip code and receive a list of registered dietitians nearest your home who are members of the ADA and conduct individual counseling. If you prefer to get this information by phone, call the ADA at 800.877.1600, extension 5000.

To further help you select a nutrition/food counselor that is not a quack, watch out for the following red flags:

The Five Red Flags of a Phony Nutritionist

1. Phony nutritionists do not have a minimum four-year degree in dietetics or related field from a college approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE) of the American Dietetic Association, ADA.

You can go online to the American Dietetic Association to see if the college on your dietitian’s diploma is on the list of accredited colleges.

2. Phony nutritionists often boast about belonging to a lot of impressive-sounding organizations.

The fact is, there are only two organizations you should be impressed with – the American Dietetic Association and the American Institute of Nutrition and its clinical branch, the American Society for Clinical Nutrition. Both accept only qualified dietitians as members.

Another plus is the letters FACN (Fellow of the American College of Nutrition) after one’s name. They indicate graduate-level training in nutrition science and/or clinical nutrition.

A questionable credential commonly seen is CNC, or “certified nutrition counselor,” used by many “nutritionists” with diploma mill degrees.

3. Phony nutritionists often insist you purchase supplements, especially nonsense things like “diet miracles,” “metabolism boosters,” “detoxifiers,” “fat busters,” or “antioxidants.”

And some phony nutritionists have a penchant for blaming all or most health problems on food allergies. Certainly, food allergies exist, but they don’t cause heart disease (atherosclerosis), hypertension, type 2 diabetes, obesity, or numerous other ills.

4. Phony nutritionists use weird unproven nutritional assessments, like hair analysis, muscle testing (a.k.a. “applied kinesiology”), or dark field live cell analysis.

Legitimate dietetic assessments involve the following:

* A detailed diet analysis of the foods you eat daily. You may be asked to keep a log for several days of everything you eat and drink.

* A complete medical history, including your family’s health history, any medications you’re taking, your current level of physical activity, and the amount of stress in your life.

* Evaluation of your physical exam. Blood pressure and blood values, like cholesterol and glucose levels, are a must.

5. Phony nutritionists make claims that sound too good to be true.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
Last edited by JeffN on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffN

Re: Finding a Dr and or Nutritionist in our areas

Postby Nettie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:33 am

JeffN wrote:One convenient way to find a bona fide RD on the homefront is to go online to the American Dietetic Association (www.eatright.org) and click on the link “Find a Nutrition Professional.” There you can type in your zip code and receive a list of registered dietitians nearest your home who are members of the ADA and conduct individual counseling. If you prefer to get this information by phone, call the ADA at 800.877.1600, extension 5000.

I went to this website and saw the headline "American Dietetic Association Welcomes the Coca-Cola Company as an ADA Partner." I read the article, and - the ADA seemed so proud of this - "The Coca-Cola Company’s Beverage Institute for Health & Wellness team of physicians, PhD-level nutrition scientists and registered dietitians serve as a resource for health professionals and others interested in the science of beverages and their role in health and living well." (emphasis added)

And, “'The Coca-Cola Company and the American Dietetic Association are committed to helping people enjoy healthy lifestyles,' said registered dietitian and ADA President Connie B. Diekman."

As they say, follow the money....Some people have no shame. I appreciate folks like Jeff Novick, Dr. McDougall, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, et.al., who are willing to go against the tide, despite the financial, professional and social cost, to tell us the truth about health and nutrition.

I'm so grateful for these forums so I can cut through the bunk and avoid confusion.

Nettie
Nettie

Postby LauraA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:20 pm

thank you Jeff, for all of your help. I don't really have any need to go to a Dr. except for routine physicals, blood work, and to be sent to have other tests done. At my age, they seem to think of lots of things to test. I also work in Africa part of the year, and I have to get malaria medicine, etc. I guess that I just thought that if I ever were sick or needed a Dr., I'd rather it be one who understood what I'm doing and why. My Dr. won't object, I don't think, because he already knows that I'm a vegetarian, so he should just be glad to see blood pressure down, and other blood work improved, although there were no problems with my blood work. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll check that list of doctors. Thank you, Laura
LauraA

Return to Jeff Novick, RD