Lung Cancer DX, diet supplements

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lung Cancer DX, diet supplements

Postby Sydney » Fri May 15, 2020 10:31 am

Hi Jeff,

I attended the McD program 2 years ago and can't find my notebook, so I'm posting here.

My brother was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer recently and underwent a lobectomy a few weeks back. We just got the pathology report and doctor phone consultation two days ago. He is considered Stage 3 due to the tumor size (4 cm x 2.5 cm x 2 cm) and some node involvement.

He changed over to a vegan diet about 12 years ago. He is an avid hiker and runner. However, he does follow a vegan Paleo diet, using tofu, nuts, and avocado for increased fat and protein. He is now also beginning to look at supplements that might help with immune system boosts to fight the cancer.

My questions:

1. Do you know of any data or studies regarding NON animal high fat/protein diets and cancer?
2. Information on supplements and increased or decreased cancer?
3. Any cancer treatment doctors or facilities that follow a holistic and plant-based approach (rather than ONLY chemo/radiation)?

Thank you very much.
Sydney

Re: Lung Cancer DX, diet supplements

Postby JeffN » Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 am

Hi Sydney

As a alumni of the 10-Day Program, Dr Lim is available to you to answer your concerns.

You can reach him through the contact tab of this website or from his own email, which was in the program book you received.

If you have trouble reaching him, let me know

My Best
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Lung Cancer DX, diet supplements

Postby Sydney » Fri May 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

I can't find my notebook, but have emailed to [email protected]. Is there another one direct or will that one work?

Thanks very much.
Sydney

Return to Jeff Novick, RD